What Convinced You To Change?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• m5parr
    m5parr Posts: 21
    Options
    I was definitely in denial for a long time too! Two years after having my last baby, I hit the same weight that I was at the *end* of my pregnancy. Something clicked at that point lol. I swore to myself a long time ago that I'd never let myself go after having kids, and seeing that number on the scale made me realize I broke my promise to myself.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What inspired you to finally start eating healthy, eating less, working out, etc?

Had you been trying for years to commit, and finally, something simply clicked?

Was it hitting a new highest weight? Getting some bad news from your doctor?

What convinced you to make a change?
    I was never overly heavy, usually went between 205 & 220 and at 6'1" carried it well. 2 bad summers (herniated disk in 04 and Lyme Disease in 05) pushed my weigh to 260, and ended my cycling. I started riding again in 08, but never could get much below 250 until my youngest son showed me MFP. Well it just clicked, and combined with a good summer of riding, plus the ability to really eat properly, I dropped 60 pounds last year and the weight is staying off. I get all the motivation that I need to stay on the program whenever I get on the bike.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Put a pair of jeans on and saw the dreaded "muffin top" not cool.... started that day.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    That's awesome that your most recent blood test came back improved. The blood doesn't lie. Keep up the hard work, glad you're seeing results.
  • truly_crazy_me
    Options
    My convincing to change was actually largely on my Grandpa. He was very important to me and we were very close. I lost him to an obesity related disease January 1st of 2012 and right then I knew I needed to change.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just before the new year, my husband made a passing comment one night in conversation about how junk food just didn't do anything for him. It was such a small statement, but it got me thinking -- what did it really DO for me?? I would look forward to my little "binges" (chips & dip, a plate of nachos, etc.) while watching my favorite tv programs. All of it was usually accompanied by a glass of wine or 2 or a beer. Was it REALLY "doing" anything for me? Yes. Packing on the pounds and potentially giving me a lot of future health issues. It clicked. I didn't NEED it. I decided to stop it all and adopt a healthier attitude. We were already eating fairly healthy foods to begin with, but I became much more conscious of processed foods and incorporating more fruits/veggies into our daily routine. And for me, the eating healthy and exercise go hand-in-hand, so I started back on the treadmill. Instead of sitting down with a "snack" to watch tv in the evening, I walk on the treadmill. It's amazing how far you can go and how many calories you can burn while watching mindless tv!! LOL

I guess I had my "lightbulb" moment and am so happy I did. I've done Weight Watchers in the past, and had successfully lost 40 lbs, only to gain it all back over the last 3 years when I just stopped doing it and going back to my old habits. This time it's for life -- I have vowed to myself since it wasn't really "doing" anything for me in the first place! :)
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Feeling pretty down about being overweight - hated having to have pictures taken - didn't like to see myself in the mirror from the neck down - then had a doctor's appointment - stepped on the scale and was shocked and when my doctor went over my blood test and told me that my cholesterol was creeping upward (over the past 2 years tests) and that I did have the option of being on statins - or first I could try and lose some weight and see what kind of affect that would have on my cholesterol in a few months time - I decided I was DONE with feeling bad about my body image - was not going into the next phase of my life always "struggling" with my weight - I would get it under control once and for all - and found MFP Jan. 2012 - and here it is day 65 and I'm at least 12 pounds lighter and several inches smaller due to exercising 5 to 6 days a week and following a healthy diet plan! Cheers!
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My lightest (recent) weight was 2006 - 145 pounds. By 2010, I was 283 pounds (my heaviest). Stress and depression and dumb choices led me to put on another *person*. On Jan 1, I started in earnest to lose the weight and hopefully have a baby. Then, in February, I was diagnosed with MS. So now I'm losing for future baby and me. I can honestly say that exercise has never felt so good as it does now. Every step is a victory.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Been trying for years and it just finally clicked. I was tired of being left out of life and opportunity because of my weight. I want to go back to work and not have my body hurt.
  • MrsGonsalves16
    MrsGonsalves16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I realised my son was missing out on opportunities because I had no confidence to take him places in case I would be judged, very selfish of me but along with deciding to lose weight I have decided to forget about myself and think about my son!! Still have a long way to go but the more pounds I lose the more confidence I gain!! And that's enough to make me wanna do this till I've reached my goal weight and stay at that weight! ( I take my son out as much as possible now and burn off loads of calories too)
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have fought obesity for my whole life. I got over 300 lbs while in an abusive relationship but lost 100 lbs after I left. I got caught back up in the same cycle of abuse and gained most of it back, left that relationship and lost about 25 lbs. Now I'm in a healthy relationship, but not a healthy situation. In 2 years I went from no health problems to a doctor telling me he was going to put me on insulin. I am fighting for my life now. I will not give up! I have a wonderful partner, a loving son, a beautiful daughter by love and an amazing granddaughter. I refuse to fail this time.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    You can do it! Just stay positive. I think you are so strong for leaving the abusive relationship and very blessed to have finally found someone worthy of you.

CONGRATS!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I've tried before. Went from 135kg to 82kg in a very few months lifting weights and crash dieting a few years back, but fell sick with a lung infection, hospitalized, then back up to 117kg over the next few years.

Late last year I planned to begin a new lifestyle again, but wanted to try a new approach.

I knew from so many past attempts that eating Carrots and drinking Water doesn't work in the long run.

I learned killing myself with excercise i hate doesnt work.

What i had learned is doing it so slow i hardly even realized i was doing anything at all was the approch i needed.

So in December last year i got onto Google. Researched everything. WW, Atkins, Shakes, Pills, you name it, looked into it all.

Then I found the MFP app..and honestly thought it must have been just another gimmick because it was free, but decided to give it a go.

Researched the hell out of it. Found out about Calorie Deficit, and smashed my head on the table as i couldn't believe in 36 years i hadn't come across this.

Thats it. Still here and its proving the most simple approach is the right one.