Lose weight first & then lift or do both @ the same time?

Options
I fear this is a dumb question, but since I don't know the answer and have been pondering it for a long time I have to ask.

I need to lose weight, but I also need to tone up. I prefer a muscular look (not manly) but muscular.

Is it possible to do both at the same time?

I have read that it is not possible to lose fat and build muscles at the same time. However, since muscles burn fat, I find this odd, unless I misunderstood what I read.

Years ago, I was the weight I am now (overweight) and worked with a pt lifting heavy. I lost inches, but no scale weight. I then became a very toned (big person). I still was heavy, not the size I wanted to be, but looked incredibly toned. I wasn't pleased. I wanted to be little and then toned. It wasn't pretty and guys were looking at my arms and asking, "You workout?" One guy even did the "swell up" thing with his arms. How embarrassing! Ick! I guess it was a fat, muscular look. You know that type we see in a lot of guys? I felt like I looked like that. I mention this bc I grow muscle extremely easily.

So should I focus on full fledge fat loss and then lift? Or try to do both at the same time, which didn't really make me happy before.

Replies

• _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Do both. If you lose weight and lets say it takes you x amount of months.

For example it takes you 4 months to lose the weight, and 5 months to shape(tone) your body up how you want. If you do it separately it would take you a total of 9 months.

If you do both at the same time(losing fat at the same rate as the example above) it will only take you 5 months total instead of 9.

Okay, trying to follow this, but math is not my strong point lol. I am fearful of that "big bulky" look I got when I got all the muscle, but didn't lose the fat. It was embarrassing. I loved my butt and legs as they looked better than I had ever had them in my life, but I felt I was a toned-big. I felt like a dude. Does that make sense? So I thought if I lost weight first then I could lift and tone. The only way I can lose though is extreme dieting. If I am healthy and do it all correctly all I do is maintain.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pictures from when were a toned big person? What sort of routine did you do and how were you eating?

Do you have any advice for me? I've been lifting heavy in a surplus for a few months and I have only managed to pack on a small amount of mass.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

For example it takes you 4 months to lose the weight, and 5 months to shape(tone) your body up how you want. If you do it separately it would take you a total of 9 months.

If you do both at the same time(losing fat at the same rate as the example above) it will only take you 5 months total instead of 9.

Okay, trying to follow this, but math is not my strong point lol. I am fearful of that "big bulky" look I got when I got all the muscle, but didn't lose the fat. It was embarrassing. I loved my butt and legs as they looked better than I had ever had them in my life, but I felt I was a toned-big. I felt like a dude. Does that make sense? So I thought if I lost weight first then I could lift and tone. The only way I can lose though is extreme dieting. If I am healthy and do it all correctly all I do is maintain.

If you DO manage to put on muscle to start with, then you will only look 'big bulky' until you lose the fat that is over-top of the muscle.

I lift heavy, and am still considered 'obese'. The only 'bulk' that I have on my body is from fat, not muscle.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Lift weights to lose weight and reshape your body.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

If you DO manage to put on muscle to start with, then you will only look 'big bulky' until you lose the fat that is over-top of the muscle.

I lift heavy, and am still considered 'obese'. The only 'bulk' that I have on my body is from fat, not muscle.

Yep you are correct and that is my problem. Yet I did lose inches because clothes were loser so I WAS losing. But I was so embarrassed, I felt so bulky and just BIG.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Yep you are correct and that is my problem. Yet I did lose inches because clothes were loser so I WAS losing. But I was so embarrassed, I felt so bulky and just BIG.

So you just need to keep going with the lifting and the diet until you've lost the bulk.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

It's surprising to hear a woman bulking up so easily, but since your concern is genuine (you have actually experienced it) then I understand.

I would focus on heavy weights then. Heavy weights really don't put on muscle mass. Heavy means under 5 reps. A good program for you might be strong lifts 5x5.

I wasn't lifting too heavy then bc I lifted up to 20 reps. But I was lifting so heavy that it was really hard. My trainer said he has never seen a female build muscle as fast as me. He said it was "near impossible". Whatever that means.

I think my body type is an Endomorph. Grow muscle easily, but hold onto fat easily. . I guess. Unless I am an ectomoroph, but a bad eater.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Do you have any pictures from when were a toned big person? What sort of routine did you do and how were you eating?

Do you have any advice for me? I've been lifting heavy in a surplus for a few months and I have only managed to pack on a small amount of mass.

I don't have any photos. I wish I did. Especially of my butt. I didn't do anything special just had a trainer who did full body on me three times a week at what I call, "heavy" but yet he had me go up to 20 reps (so must not be heavy) and we did three sets.

3X20X3x
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't new to lifting, you will not gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Since you want to lose weight I assume you are on a calorie deficit. Without lifting, a lot of your weight loss (as much as half of it) will be muscle. To preserve the muscle you have while losing fat, you need to lift and get adequate protein. Without lifting, your body sees no reason to hold on to that muscle. So keep a calorie deficit, lift weights, and get enough protein and you'll get the toned but not bulky look you are wanting. Its as simple as that.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Do both.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

So you just need to keep going with the lifting and the diet until you've lost the bulk.

As I sit now, I haven't lifted in a year. I have lost 9 lbs due to extreme dieting and then am now maintaining. I have a lot more to lose. I am getting very serious about this and need to do something. I look worse every day. Flabbier, etc. I feel like I am starting to get that, "mom" body. Or rather look like my Mom.

So I am actually at square one. I keep doing cardio with no changes and my body is is getting softer. I can literally see the muscle leaving my body. I wonder if I should do toning like body-pump and wait to lift after I lose weight.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Do both. Lift heavy. Do all compound lifts. Learn good squatting technique and have that be the main focus.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Since you aren't new to lifting, you will not gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Since you want to lose weight I assume you are on a calorie deficit. Without lifting, a lot of your weight loss (as much as half of it) will be muscle. To preserve the muscle you have while losing fat, you need to lift and get adequate protein. Without lifting, your body sees no reason to hold on to that muscle. So keep a calorie deficit, lift weights, and get enough protein and you'll get the toned but not bulky look you are wanting. Its as simple as that.

Okay, I will try it again. It does make sense to do both. Actually nothing else gets me results like lifting. And I do get them fast. In one month I see a difference in my legs, butt and my chest lifts. I just wonder why I looked so big before, unless it was my imagination, but two guys commented and one puffed out at me, lol. That still freaks me out. I have a very petite frame, when I get to goal weight I wear a size 0-2. I have done the bone/frame tests. So maybe I have body-image issues and I wasn't used to the muscle so I THOUGHT I was big.
  • _Lori__Lynn_
    Options
    GRRRRRRRR!
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    I have never in read so much horrible and misguided information in my life.. what the hello kitty are you all talking about.. wow...purely wow. Ma'am seek professional advice from a certified trainer or nutritionist. Def not these fools
  • _Lori__Lynn_
    Options
    I have never in read so much horrible and misguided information in my life.. what the hello kitty are you all talking about.. wow...purely wow. Ma'am seek professional advice from a certified trainer or nutritionist. Def not these fools

Well then can you help me? What should I do?

P.S. The last man who posted made up opposite information intentionally. He does it to me in every thread. He enjoys taking up 5 minutes of his life which he will never get back again and spending on me just to try to annoy me. But it's his life, he must not value it much.
  • brandon0523
    Options

Well then can you help me? What should I do?

P.S. The last man who posted made up opposite information intentionally. He does it to me in every thread. He enjoys taking up 5 minutes of his life which he will never get back again and spending on me just to try to annoy me. But it's his life, he must not value it much.
    i understand his posts where ridiculous.. and yes.. i will gladly give you advice that is going to work.. first things first..never lift heavy if you want to tone and burn fat.. heavy lifting builds mass.. how do i know.. look at my pictures.. you need high reps high sets to build hard tone muscles.. and you need to build muscle.. the more muscle we have the more calories we burn.. now cardio.. intense alternating cardio.. running or walking or eliptical alone wont cut it.. interval training where you will burn the most calories. Going back and forth between speeds every one to two minutes.. example.. treadmill.. jogg for one min sprint for 30 seconds..back and forth. This for 15 mins will burn more calories than running alone for 30 mins..give me a min ill brb
  • _Lori__Lynn_
    Options
    Thanks so much for this info it makes sense. I'll do it beginning tomorrow. I will check back here to see why you are going to, "brb".

So what about this 5X20 for high reps, high sets?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • brandon0523
    Options
    5 sets of 15-20.. builds endurance and hard muscles... now diet is key if you have a **** diet you might as welll not even bother.. i wont tell you to cut out carbs but tell you to eat the right carbs at the right time. Whole wheat anything whole grain.. brown rice. Thing of this nature.. we want carbs before we lift for energy protien after for muscle recovery. Meats should only consist of fish chicken turkey and lean beef.. there are others like deer meat and those things but not evwryone can get those.. you should be eaiting 5-6 small meals a day spread out around your workout and dailu life they should be 2 1/2 -3 hours apart. This stimulates your metabolism which.burns calories.... but these are small healthy meals or snacks. Not 6 whoppers a day