Lose weight first & then lift or do both @ the same time?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't new to lifting, you will not gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Since you want to lose weight I assume you are on a calorie deficit. Without lifting, a lot of your weight loss (as much as half of it) will be muscle. To preserve the muscle you have while losing fat, you need to lift and get adequate protein. Without lifting, your body sees no reason to hold on to that muscle. So keep a calorie deficit, lift weights, and get enough protein and you'll get the toned but not bulky look you are wanting. Its as simple as that.

:drinker: Lift on a deficit and you will still be able to lose weight, without losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. Try lifting heavy - 20 reps isn't heavy. Do the heaviest you can do in 5.
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    Tom platts.. who had the NASTIEST quads in his era swore by squatting 405x20.. alana ravens npc pro figure and bikini model swears high reps for toning and tightening. Mike nueman mr natural illinios.. swears high reps low weight when cutting.. i use these people as i know them personally. For many years... i go with what is proven to work time and time again. More reps burns more calories..

The great ronnie coleman is famous for saying " everyone wanna be a big but no body wanna lift no heavy *kitten* weights"... this man lifted HEAVY for a bodybuilder.. high 800 squats and deadlifts..he was the biggest bodybuilder anyone had seen he won on pure size.. because he lifted heavy *kitten* weights. So wouldnt that mean lifting heavy..would make you grow..
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    <---I did both...lost 30 lbs last year and lifted hard 5x a week. Lift hard on a deficit, and you won't end up with the "fat, muscular" look you described.
  • brandon0523
    Options
    <---I did both...lost 30 lbs last year and lifted hard 5x a week. Lift hard on a deficit, and you won't end up with the "fat, muscular" look you described.
    awesome job.
  • brandon0523
    Options
    I am sorry liftnlove.. but if anyone cares to read her page.. it gives her work outs for a week.. uh oh watch out silly people.. it says she did high reps 20 reps.. oh this cant be right. Are you sure.. and looking from her pictures it worked.. nooooooo thats impossible.. no im serious.. either she did the correct research or someone qualified instructed her on this.. either way a living mfp example of my theroys
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic & these post.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    There are a load of women on here who do both -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky?

These are real life, MFP examples, not fitness models (although some could be) .

each and every one of them is an inspiration.
  • Liftnlove
    Options
    I am sorry liftnlove.. but if anyone cares to read her page.. it gives her work outs for a week.. uh oh watch out silly people.. it says she did high reps 20 reps.. oh this cant be right. Are you sure.. and looking from her pictures it worked.. nooooooo thats impossible.. no im serious.. either she did the correct research or someone qualified instructed her on this.. either way a living mfp example of my theroys

BOOM!!! Preach!!!! ;p

(That's why I don't say I "lift heavy" on here anymore, even though it damn sure FEELS heavy--but I stay in the 8-20 rep range 95% of the time, with compound and <gasp> isolation movements.. I train for aesthetics, not just strength, which is extremely unpopular on MFP. Fortunately for me, I never cared much about being popular.)
  • brandon0523
    Options

BOOM!!! Preach!!!! ;p

(That's why I don't say I "lift heavy" on here anymore, even though it damn sure FEELS heavy--but I stay in the 8-20 rep range 95% of the time, with compound and <gasp> isolation movements.. I train for aesthetics, not just strength, which is extremely unpopular on MFP. Fortunately for me, I never cared much about being popular.)
    i might be in internet love
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

BOOM!!! Preach!!!! ;p

As you say you train for asthetic purposes, and I am assuming you are doing the isolation movements because you wants the extra definition in your biceps , triceps etc.

Taking into account the OP, and others who claim to not want the muscle definition, would you still recommend the same training plan for someone training for fat loss and just starting out, or would you recommend they just keep it simple.
  • Liftnlove
    Options

BOOM!!! Preach!!!! ;p

As you say you train for asthetic purposes, and I am assuming you are doing the isolation movements because you wants the extra definition in your biceps , triceps etc.

Taking into account the OP, and others who claim to not want the muscle definition, would you still recommend the same training plan for someone training for fat loss and just starting out, or would you recommend they just keep it simple.

I may have misread, but I don't think the OP said she didn't want definition. She said she wanted to be small and muscular. I have gone from a size 14 to a size 2/4, so even though my biceps may look "big" in pictures, I assure you I am not big...if you look at my unflexed pics you can tell I'm not large

Personally, I have no problem with ANY lifting program--it is my opinion that all of them have merits. It's just a little frustrating that the dominant opinion on MFP is that if you do ANYTHING but squats, deads, and bench, you're wasting your life. It's just not true. Different programs achieve different results, Powerlifters train differently than bodybuilders, so who's wrong?... Neither of them--they have different goals, that's all.

...For people who don't want definition, all they have to do is maintain a slightly higher bodyfat, which is not difficult, I assure you :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Read New Rules of Lifting for Women and eat healthy.

/thread.
  • Lostone31
    Lostone31 Posts: 57
    Options
    Didn't read through all the pages.

Been doing stronglifts 5x5 for 7 session (MWF) and running on the days off.

Already lost 5 lbs and losing the belly fat much faster than with cardio alone. I was not getting the results I wanted from insanity and promply switched to Stronglifts and running... Best move I could have ever made.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have friends who do Stronglifts, I have friends who split their body parts up and do isolation movements and I have friends who do nothing but Crossfit.
    I have friends who eat 8 x a day, I have friends who eat 2x a day.... some do IF, some don't......BUT

Guess what ? THEY ALL LOOK FREAKIN FANTASTIC and honestly, they are all lean and ripped.

The end result will be a toned, lean, stong, ripped athelete .......who cares how you got there :)

The ONLY thing they all do the same is..... LIFT heavy things and FUEL their bodies on lots and lots of food.
  • _Lori__Lynn_
    Options
    Liftlove,

You look awesome. Your before photo reminds me of how I look now (somewhat) so you're a good example for me. And when I am in shape I am about a size 2 as well. We may be the same body frame.

Did you supplement? I don't know how to supp or what to take.

Thanks in advance.
  • Liftnlove
    Options
    Liftlove,

You look awesome. Your before photo reminds me of how I look now (somewhat) so you're a good example for me. And when I am in shape I am about a size 2 as well. We may be the same body frame.

Did you supplement? I don't know how to supp or what to take.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks hon...no, I don't take any "workout-related" type supplements. Me gots no moneys... :sad:

I just take very basic supps...Multivitamin, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, B-Complex, Calcium, and Glucosamine/Chondroitin for mah old-lady joints. The only supp I experimented with was BCAAs, but I couldn't stand the taste...send me your address and I'll mail you a jar that's 99% full... :bigsmile: Creatine has some great research-backed results, but I've never taken it, though I'd happily take it if someone gave me some.

Diet-wise, I just made sure I got plenty of cals and protein (I aimed for 2000 cals and 150 gms a day, even when I was actively losing weight), and didn't worry too much about anything else. I don't eat that clean, and I don't want to. I love food. :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    People have different definitions of the word 'bulky'. To me, bulky is having large muscles, with a layer of fat covering them, giving an appearance of being very large when fully clothed. Someone who has large, well-defined muscles, at a lower BF% are not bulky.

Certain women can indeed build muscle mass more quickly than average. It depends on their body type and hormone levels. Women who carry their extra weight in their midsection and upper body, tend to have a higher testosterone level than women who carry their extra weight in their hips and thighs. It is just the way we are built, genetically.
    I am very short-waisted, and have always had a thick waist, and long lean legs and no butt. Mens jeans always fit better than girls jean. I also am naturally more muscular and build muscle size and strength very quickly, compared to the average female.
    I have been told so many times on these forums that this is not possible and I am just wrong.

At the risk of fueling the flames, I came across some old pics that can explain what I mean.

This first pic was on my first day at work as a baggage handler. I was 5'7" at the time and around 140. In addition to having horrible posture, you can see how short waisted I am, how I carry my weight in my belly, and how small thru the arms and shoulders I am. At this point my waist was around 28" and hips were around 35". And you could iron shirts on my flat butt! lol

a4322a6a-a0c9-47c9-918a-b8eddf770853_zps7b3518e7.jpg

This next picture is a few years later, when I had been body building for about 3-4 months and had gone from 155 down to 150. Not sure exactly what weight I was, but it was between those 2 weights. My waist and hips were still around the same size, but my upper body was considerable larger, and my legs were more built. I was leg-pressing 360, benching 125, and walking lunges with 130-150 on a bar. I was squatting fairly heavy as well, but didn't really like them, so I don't remember how much I squatted.

Until I found this picture a few weeks ago, I didn't realize how huge I looked. Seriously, I looked like a linebacker. Because I responded so quickly to lifting heavy, the body builders I was training with wanted me to compete, but I didn't want to go thru the cutting it would take to get my BF% that low, and frankly the thought of standing painted in a bikini in front of judges to be critiqued on my body was NOT something I found the least bit appealing. I was never secure in my body enough to even have regular photos taken of me in a one piece, so no way could I do that.

So here it is, please be gentle!
    d4fb00d3-d07a-4513-863e-37b1b1983ea0_zps860f7162.jpg

No matter what I looked like, I really did love weightlifting. I loved being strong and not jiggly, and I consider that time to be the best shape and health I have ever been in.
    But I certainly understand why some women who are built like I am, are afraid to lift heavy and end up looking big, as much of society deems a different body type as being 'ideal'.

I personally prefer the lean muscular look for myself and for what I am typically attracted to in men as well. I would LOVE to have the lean, defined muscles that some of the women on here have. And now that I know how to 'cut' properly, if I were physically able to be lifting heavy, I would most likely still be sweating with the boys in the gym. Tho probably would still never be confident enough to ever wear a bikini in public.

Now, with disabling injuries and arthritis, (and 49 yo), those days are gone, but I can still continue getting this extra weight off and exercise as much as I can to keep my muscles as healthy as possible, and pray my skin continues to shrink up as I lose.

Edit to shrink pics.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    So should I focus on full fledge fat loss and then lift? Or try to do both at the same time, which didn't really make me happy before.
    I lost weight and then started lifting. It thought it made sense at the time but... if I had it to over again, I'd start lifting right away.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2' and 105~ pounds and 19 years old. I lift heavy (or at least try to.) However, I look very small and petite. You'd never think I lift.

I do Stronglifts 5x5. Basically, it is comprised of two workouts, A and B.
    Workout A:
    Squat- 5 sets, 5 reps
    Bench - 5x5
    Bent over rows - 5x5

Workout B:
    Squat - 5x5
    Overhead press - 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

I do these alternating days of the week. Ex: Workout A Monday, Workout B Wednesday, Workout C Friday.

You only have to lift 3 days a week. I try to workout a minimum of 5 days a week. On my non-lifting days, I usually jog or do yoga, or something else light. I also suggest interval training.

If you want to lose fat, you need to eat at a deficit. Use this calculator to help you figure out how many calories you need to eat:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

edit: Oh, and you can lift and lose fat. Your lifts may not be the same as if you were eating more, however. Or at least from my experience.