Lose weight first & then lift or do both @ the same time?

Replies

• People have given you sound advice you have so far chosen to ignore them. I would at this point suggest talking to a personal trainer and a nutritionist since MFP can't help you so far. Good luck in future

I am not ignoring any of them. Where in the world did you get that from? They all offered different advice, but I have found something useful from nearly every person who posted.

I am going to do 5 sets of 15 - 20 and break it up into body parts (this was from Brandon)

I am going to eat 5 - 6 mini meals offered also by Brandon (I normally only eat in the evening)

I am going to get my testosterone checked by a GP and drink more water after a workout to decrease swole (new vocab word for me) all provided by Evgenizytex.

I am going to do compound exercises (which was new to me before tonight's post) and offered by The Devastator.

Poster "PU" reminded me to be patient and told me when the results should typically appear so that I won't get frustrated. For that advice I am also thankful.

SkydiveD30571 explained that I need to watch my calories and not be at a deficit and explained how I can lose muscle, etc.

I learned A TON. And again, thanks guys!
  • chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Whatever you choose remember..."patience young Jedi"

As an afterthought...also check out/google stronglifts 5X5...I like it so it must be good! Lots of FREE info.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I have done squats. The pt had me doing 3 sets of 20 with a barbell (mega heavy lifting on that - omg). The other stuff is P90X stuff and he gets great toning results so I can see this working. That makes sense. Couldn't I alternate? For example, doing the heavy lifting and then on other days do the compound exercises? I own P90X but have never used it. I have a chin up bar too.

I just can't agree with anyone doing 3x20. Seems like wasted time and energy to me. I mean do heavy lifting with compound lifts. If you can do 3x20 on the squats, it's too light. You should work up to 135 pound squats with 5x5 if you aren't there already.
    This is too complicated to explain but if you want to read into it, Starting Strength is a great book. The main thing is to stay at a deficit while doing these lifts until you have the body you want and then maintain it.

I didn't mention cardio but you should work up to sprinting. It really is the best way to lose the weight in less time.
  • I have done squats. The pt had me doing 3 sets of 20 with a barbell (mega heavy lifting on that - omg). The other stuff is P90X stuff and he gets great toning results so I can see this working. That makes sense. Couldn't I alternate? For example, doing the heavy lifting and then on other days do the compound exercises? I own P90X but have never used it. I have a chin up bar too.

I just can't agree with anyone doing 3x20. Seems like wasted time and energy to me. I mean do heavy lifting with compound lifts. If you can do 3x20 on the squats, it's too light. You should work up to 135 pound squats with 5x5 if you aren't there already.
    This is too complicated to explain but if you want to read into it, Starting Strength is a great book. The main thing is to stay at a deficit while doing these lifts until you have the body you want and then maintain it.

I didn't mention cardio but you should work up to sprinting. It really is the best way to lose the weight in less time.

I will work up to sprinting for sure. Would you suggest daily and doing it at intervals with walk and jog?

I will look into the book, I am a reader.
  • TheDevastator
    If you have hormone imbalances you might want to eat more fennel, flax seed and sesame seeds because they are high in phytoestrogens which help increase good estrogen. Don't ask why I know this!
  • oops double post.
  • Whatever you choose remember..."patience young Jedi"

As an afterthought...also check out/google stronglifts 5X5...I like it so it must be good! Lots of FREE info.

What about alternating 5 x 5 one day and then 5 x 15 - 20 with lighter on other days. I know of a trainer who does that.

Yet my ex PT said the body doesn't need muscle confusion to grow.
  • Definitely both! No doubt! :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    5 sets of 15-20.. builds endurance and hard muscles... now diet is key if you have a **** diet you might as welll not even bother.. i wont tell you to cut out carbs but tell you to eat the right carbs at the right time. Whole wheat anything whole grain.. brown rice. Thing of this nature.. we want carbs before we lift for energy protien after for muscle recovery. Meats should only consist of fish chicken turkey and lean beef.. there are others like deer meat and those things but not evwryone can get those.. you should be eaiting 5-6 small meals a day spread out around your workout and dailu life they should be 2 1/2 -3 hours apart. This stimulates your metabolism which.burns calories.... but these are small healthy meals or snacks. Not 6 whoppers a day

Love this. I will begin tomorrow. Thank you so much. But one more question. Will I still build muscle if I am at a calorie deflect bc I am really needing to lose weight. Or was this a dumb blonde question? I'm sorry if it is! ((I am a blonde so no offense to blondes)).

Meal frequency, meal timing have no real impact but feel free to follow advice that helps you stck to your plan.
    then why are the leanest people in the world so strict about it?????? People who have professional nutritionist telling them.this..
    There are plenty of lean people that IF, that do one bolus meal, even here you will find people with very low bf% that do not subscribe to either high frequency or specific protein timing. Certainly for someone just starting on weight lifting this is not part of the most important basic information she should be focusing on, IMHO.

If many meals work for someone great. You can lift and lose bf without it though. Would you like some references here? I can ask them to post.
  • [changed mind
  • TheDevastator
    I have done squats. The pt had me doing 3 sets of 20 with a barbell (mega heavy lifting on that - omg). The other stuff is P90X stuff and he gets great toning results so I can see this working. That makes sense. Couldn't I alternate? For example, doing the heavy lifting and then on other days do the compound exercises? I own P90X but have never used it. I have a chin up bar too.

I will work up to sprinting for sure. Would you suggest daily and doing it at intervals with walk and jog?

It's really up to you. you can go M,W,F cardio T, Th lifting or vice versa or MWF both cardio and lifting with T, Th rest or something completely different.
    It's really up to your schedule and fitness level.
  • I have done squats. The pt had me doing 3 sets of 20 with a barbell (mega heavy lifting on that - omg). The other stuff is P90X stuff and he gets great toning results so I can see this working. That makes sense. Couldn't I alternate? For example, doing the heavy lifting and then on other days do the compound exercises? I own P90X but have never used it. I have a chin up bar too.

It's really up to you. you can go M,W,F cardio T, Th lifting or vice versa or MWF both cardio and lifting with T, Th rest or something completely different.
    It's really up to your schedule and fitness level.

Was the info on the cardio about alternating sprinting with walking?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    BOTH
  • TheDevastator
    Was the info on the cardio about alternating sprinting with walking?

jogging and walking to sprinting and running depending on your fitness level.
  • Was the info on the cardio about alternating sprinting with walking?

jogging and walking to sprinting and running depending on your fitness level.

But it is meant as an interval exercise obviously, bc one couldn't sprint for long. Am I correct? I think I just stated the obvious.
  • 5 sets of 15-20.. builds endurance and hard muscles... now diet is key if you have a **** diet you might as welll not even bother.. i wont tell you to cut out carbs but tell you to eat the right carbs at the right time. Whole wheat anything whole grain.. brown rice. Thing of this nature.. we want carbs before we lift for energy protien after for muscle recovery. Meats should only consist of fish chicken turkey and lean beef.. there are others like deer meat and those things but not evwryone can get those.. you should be eaiting 5-6 small meals a day spread out around your workout and dailu life they should be 2 1/2 -3 hours apart. This stimulates your metabolism which.burns calories.... but these are small healthy meals or snacks. Not 6 whoppers a day

Love this. I will begin tomorrow. Thank you so much. But one more question. Will I still build muscle if I am at a calorie deflect bc I am really needing to lose weight. Or was this a dumb blonde question? I'm sorry if it is! ((I am a blonde so no offense to blondes)).

Meal frequency, meal timing have no real impact but feel free to follow advice that helps you stck to your plan.
    then why are the leanest people in the world so strict about it?????? People who have professional nutritionist telling them.this..
    There are plenty of lean people that IF, that do one bolus meal, even here you will find people with very low bf% that do not subscribe to either high frequency or specific protein timing. Certainly for someone just starting on weight lifting this is not part of the most important basic information she should be focusing on, IMHO.

If many meals work for someone great. You can lift and lose bf without it though. Would you like some references here? I can ask them to post.

I think Capt Apolo (sp) is an IF, because I read it on his profile today but not even sure what "IF" means? . Does it mean "IF I eat?" or rather fasting?
  • TheDevastator
    But it is meant as an interval exercise obviously, bc one couldn't sprint for long. Am I correct? I think I just stated the obvious.

Yes, it's interval training. sometimes I'll just jump on a treadmill and do 1 min on 5 mph and 1 min on 10 mph and leave because I dislike cardio but my heart rate will be high so it helps.
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    I think you do have some bodyweight issues, hun. I think it's just as important to try to adjust your perspective on what you're body was like when you were toned and strong but you felt 'bulky'. And please, please, try to forget how those guys reacted at the time. Remember that a lot of guys are only interested in women who look like models, and we know that a lot of those women are unhealthy-skinny. Being a fit, strong woman requires a whole new appreciation of body shape and size. I'm an endomorph like you, and even when I was at my goal weight, in my mid-twenties, I still felt quite bulky, and still wore a UK size 14 (think 2 sizes smaller than a US 14). That's because I had a lot of muscle.
    I didn't feel like I fitted into the popular convention of fit or beautiful, but I've adjusted my attitude a lot since then and now I appreciate my body for it's strength (though I am overweight at the moment too).

You know you have to build muscle now. Losing muscle mass is madness, if you can avoid it. Be careful how you diet and do the right kind of training. Sounds like you've been given loads of good advice here about that. To be honest, I don't really know what the best route is. I talk to one trainer who tells me to lift heavy and then another tells me to lift light with lots of reps or do cardio. I'm inclined to go with the first one. Good luck.
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    5 sets of 15-20.. builds endurance and hard muscles... now diet is key if you have a **** diet you might as welll not even bother.. i wont tell you to cut out carbs but tell you to eat the right carbs at the right time. Whole wheat anything whole grain.. brown rice. Thing of this nature.. we want carbs before we lift for energy protien after for muscle recovery. Meats should only consist of fish chicken turkey and lean beef.. there are others like deer meat and those things but not evwryone can get those.. you should be eaiting 5-6 small meals a day spread out around your workout and dailu life they should be 2 1/2 -3 hours apart. This stimulates your metabolism which.burns calories.... but these are small healthy meals or snacks. Not 6 whoppers a day

I think Capt Apolo (sp) is an IF, because I read it on his profile today but not even sure what "IF" means? . Does it mean "IF I eat?" or rather fasting?

IF = Intermittent Fasting

Doesn't work for me.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Lots of information to digest in this thread and sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. Thanks all!