Yolk or no yolk

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yolks = awesome. The cholesterol you consume doesn't generally affect your own cholesterol levels. Eat them and enjoy the nutrition.

The only reason to skip them would be if you're trying to cut calories or something. Some people like to snack on the egg white for protein without a lot of calories.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personal macros and other food intake. I prefer eggs with, but eat more egg whites which contain the majority of the protein in the egg and which fits MY personal macros better. The yolk contains other important nutrients, as well as a small amount of protein. So, if you like it and it works for you, eat that yolk!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If you have to worry about cholesterol, then skip the yolk, Otherwise, eat the whole egg and enjoy it. That's what I do.

It's high in protein.

Everything in moderation, like the other poster wrote. This is what it's about.

Enjoy your food the way you want to eat it and then track that.

(That said, try to skip the really unhealthy and fattening things like putting mayo on french fries or something like that.)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I love Yolk with my scrambled eggs or just regular eggs. I'm getting mixed reviews from people because some say if you have the yolk it's fattening, but some say that if you have the yolk you're getting good nutrition what is it?!? Haha

What's best for weight loss to do?

The yolk is where all the goodness is, it might contain more calories than the white, but the white alone doesn't contain many nutrients..

Besides which, eating the yolk AND the white neutralises the cholesterol in the egg itself.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Yolk. I have an egg patty every day. The yolks are so good for you. If you are worried about cholesterol, eat a lot of grains.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yolk! Whole foods Real foods for Good Health. Yolks contain lecithin, which helps to break down fats. You see, Mother Nature knows what she is doing.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Definitely yolk! Because:

1) it's delicious!
    2) I buy fresh farm eggs at $3/dozen and don't want to throw any of that $$ away!
    3) they are very nutritious!

Also, for any cholesterol phobes out there, since I increased my whole egg consumption, my good cholesterol is through the roof (higher than my bad, which is nice and low). I never had cholesterol issues, but my numbers are freaking beautiful now :smile: I eat 3-5 eggs per day.
  • Eyestrain
    Eyestrain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yolk definitely. My grandfather eats eggs every day for the last 25+ years and his cholesterol levels are great!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs very often so I always have the yolk. It's the only reason I eat eggs. They're liquid chickens.

I love eggs.. but "liquid chickens"? LOL that puts a bad picture in my head.
  • MelanieAnneWoods
    MelanieAnneWoods Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the most tasty part of the egg (the yolk) is the fattening part. A large whole egg typically contains about 6g of fat (in the yolk) The egg white is the protein part.

Personally I prefer the whole egg and still lose weight if I eat about 3 per week.
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yolk! It's the most nutritious part, like most people said, everything in moderation.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    the yolk is where all the vitamins are, and the good fats, including the ones that are great for eye health.

It's especially ridiculous when I hear about people spending money for high quality free-range eggs and then tossing the yolks. All the benefits of the chickens being outside in the sunshine eating bugs and grass? Are in the YOLK.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    when you take the yolk out of an egg you might as well throw it in the garbage because you just threw out all the nutrients anyhow. Eat the yolk. There aren't as many calories in an egg as people might think. Even then you need the nutrients that eggs provide. They are good for protein.

Somebody get this guy a Baked Alaska! Ice cream and cake, covered in a thick layer of meringue (egg whites), doused in booze, then set on FIRE! Throw them in the garbage? I think not!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    when you take the yolk out of an egg you might as well throw it in the garbage because you just threw out all the nutrients anyhow. Eat the yolk. There aren't as many calories in an egg as people might think. Even then you need the nutrients that eggs provide. They are good for protein.

Somebody get this guy a Baked Alaska! Ice cream and cake, covered in a thick layer of meringue (egg whites), doused in booze, then set on FIRE! Throw them in the garbage? I think not!
    The yolks from the meringue are in the ice cream and cake, so you're still using all the egg. I sure hope you don't throw away half the egg just because you're making something that calls for just whites, or just yolks. Besides, meringue is mostly sugar, the egg whites are just to provide structure.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Yolk. I have an egg patty every day. The yolks are so good for you. If you are worried about cholesterol, eat a lot of grains.
    Definitely yolk! Because:

1) it's delicious!
    2) I buy fresh farm eggs at $3/dozen and don't want to throw any of that $$ away!
    3) they are very nutritious!

Also, for any cholesterol phobes out there, since I increased my whole egg consumption, my good cholesterol is through the roof (higher than my bad, which is nice and low). I never had cholesterol issues, but my numbers are freaking beautiful now I eat 3-5 eggs per day.
    I don't eat any grains.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Unfortunately, the most tasty part of the egg (the yolk) is the fattening part. A large whole egg typically contains about 6g of fat (in the yolk) The egg white is the protein part.

Personally I prefer the whole egg and still lose weight if I eat about 3 per week.

This is a natural and healthy fat that your body can use to help absorb the vitamins and nutrients (especially when it's a free-range egg)!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yolk. Everytime, yolk.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Lately for breakfast I have been doing 1 egg (with yolk) and 1 egg white! It is filling, I am getting the much needed nutrients from the yolk and it really is not a huge amount of calories! I say go for it, but in moderation
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Oy. Eat the egg yolk. It's delicious and nutritious.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like to eat complete foods. So I eat the yolks. But I only eat eggs 2-3 times per week.