What do you eat at a Mexican food restaurant?

Options
We are going to our favorite Mexican food restaurant tonight and I want to stay on my plan. What are some healthy options that you choose? This particular restaurant doesn't have any nutritional information anywhere and it's not listed on MFP.

Thanks!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I usually get soft tacos, fajitas (usually skip the sour cream and cheese and load up on guac and salsa), or a taco salad. For a taco salad, I go with chicken and use salsa instead of salad dressing.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Chimichanga plate, or one of their combo plates that have that as part of it.. then add some extra sour cream..
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are the best. You can assemble your own and take the extra meat home for another time.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are the best. You can assemble your own and take the extra meat home for another time.

I'm with you there.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Molcajete. Super flavorful, meats are roasted, freaking delicious!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Everything I can fit in my BELLAY.

And tequila.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I exercise a little extra so I can enjoy chicken quesadillas!!! And a few chips with queso. But only a few!
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajitas minus the rice/beans.... Lots of protein.... Very filling..
  • terrimccrery
    terrimccrery Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Molcajete. Super flavorful, meats are roasted, freaking delicious!

I've just discovered this and it's delicious!!!!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Chinese food.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    burgers and fries \m/
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

And tequila.

and put sour cream on everything
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

there is never extra meat.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

And tequila.

and put sour cream on everything

and then pour cheese dip over it.

Seriously.. I usually get fajitas. They are pretty good on calories and they are my favorite. I'm not super strict about it. One day at the mexican place isn't going to make me hooyge.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's this place here that has these super awesome veggie fajitas. So if its there, that's what I get. I've never been one for using the tortillas that come with the fajitas (even before changing my eating habits) so I usually don't eat those and eat the fajitas more like a stir fry, so I don't feel bad about some of the beans and rice.

If the place doesn't have a veggie fajita, I try to go for something that isn't smothered with a creamy cheese sauce or loaded with starch.

But I also love quesadillas.

I'm not sure the entrees at Mexican places are what make mexican so scary on a diet. I'm pretty sure it has a lot more to do with the bottomless chips and salsa/queso.

:-)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I'm going to suggest this as well.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I read the topic the first thing I thought was "Everthing!". Luckily I have more sense now thanks to MFP. My current standby at our favorite place is the Mexican style tacos (meat, onion, cilantro, hot sauce on soft tortilla). I will also split chips and guacamole with my wife.

I have also gone with the Taco salad, eating the salad but not the shell.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I always get fajitas. I've always gotten that though even before calorie counting. It's a little more difficult to log since I usually don't use the sour cream or rice, but it's just going to be an estimate anyway. I generally let myself have one serving of chips because I never buy tortilla chips anymore. Enjoy it!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I have never been to a mexican place!!! Makes me sad :sad:
  • Ty6940
    Ty6940 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yep I always do the fajitas without the shell (would rather enjoy my rice then have it in a shell!)