What do you eat at a Mexican food restaurant?

Options

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Fajitas- veggie, chicken, beef, shrimp

Never order the refried beans- they're made with lard in most restaurants. (unless you allocate for it)

I also order the fish tacos if it's offered on the menu or tacos carne asada. You can ask for sides of lime and cilantro to help offset the lack of sourcream. Pico de gallo is really healthy and a great topping too. Instead of guacamole, ask for sliced avocado.

Also, the chicken soup is good too. It has rice, which is filling, chicken, pico de gallo, avocado.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Mexicans.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Puffed tacos. Alacarte. No rice and beans. I probably go over calories, but I don't eat out there all the time.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are the best. You can assemble your own and take the extra meat home for another time.

there is never extra meat.

^word.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    We are going to our favorite Mexican food restaurant tonight and I want to stay on my plan. What are some healthy options that you choose? This particular restaurant doesn't have any nutritional information anywhere and it's not listed on MFP.

Thanks!

If this place is your favorite, you already know what you like. Just get that. One meal does not ruin any "plan".
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a mexican place!!! Makes me sad :sad:

You're missing out on life.
    Luckily, I'm half Mexican.. I get the real stuff :love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are the best. You can assemble your own and take the extra meat home for another time.

This is what I usually choose too. Partly because they are my favorite, and partly because they are just veggies and meat without all the cheese sauce and rice that accompanies so many other dishes. Though I typically it the whole thing.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    4 chicken enchiladas 3 chicken tacos
  • radiantsunshine40
    radiantsunshine40 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Fajita----beef, chicken and shrimp with EVERYTHING!

Crazy Chicken
    grilled chicken breast, mexican rice and spinach with cheese sauce pour over the rice & spinach!

Grilled Chicken Fajiata Quesidilla (oops sp)----grilled chicken breast sliced with veggies and cheese pour over in a quesidilla!

Fajiat Nachos
    grilled chicken breast with veggies and chips........SCRUMPTIOUS!!

SALSA on EVERYTHING.....:heart:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If it's authentic mexican, stick to something like carne asada with salad, rice... no beans unless they're not the "refried" variety. Stay away from enchiladas since they're typically covered in cheese and sauce. Fajitas are always a good choice also but I would skip the tortillas unless you're only having 1 or 2, they can hide quite a few calories.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

^This does not compute! :cry:
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING!!!! Bwahahahaha! :devil: :bigsmile:
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions from a Texan and a lover of Tex-Mex:

If you are going to eat chips, count out the amount of serving/s you want to eat and put those on a plate. Push the basket of chips to the opposite end of the table, or ask the server to simply take it away.

Avoid tortillas and cheese if possible, but load up on salsa and enjoy some guacamole. Yes there are calories and fat from the avocado, but this is good fat!

One of my absolute favorite dishes to order (as an appetizer or entre) is ceviche. It's light and flavorful, and it should be very fresh. I could eat it every day. If they don’t serve it with avocado, I suggest asking for some to mix in with it. So good!

If you won't miss the meat, ask for grilled, fajita-style veggies (easy on the oil if they use it) and black beans (I would check to see what kind of fat they use for their beans because some restaurants use lard, even in black beans!). Consider skipping the rice and subbing extra beans (if they use a healthy fat to prepare them).

If you really want seafood or meat, ask that it be grilled with little oil, but again, avoid the tortillas. Just eat the meat as is without them. Spice things up by pouring salsa over the meat, adding grilled onions or mushrooms etc. You’ll be surprised how much you can enjoy the meal without loading yourself down with starches and dairy.

Most importantly, enjoy dinner tonight! =)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you are really worried about calories, be careful with fajitas because many places throw a heaping ladle of oil on the skillet. You can ask them to go light on the oil. Another option is grilled chicken ranchero (in red sauce, light on the cheese), with rice and black beans. Also, be mindful of how many chips you eat.

Or, you can just go and eat what you want and enjoy. One meal won't kill you!
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Before I started watching what I eat, a heart attack on a plate! Usually in the form of flautas (fajita meat rolled in flour tortillas and the deep fried, loaded with guac, sour cream, and cheese on top) or sour cream chicken enchiladas. Now a day, probably fajitas with as little cheese and sour cream as I could possible put on and still taste it. Now that is entirely hypothetical because I dont trust myself in a mexican food place yet, so I havent been in a while.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    A margarita. For sure. ;)
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A margarita. For sure. ;)

^This!!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

You're missing out on life.
    Luckily, I'm half Mexican.. I get the real stuff :love:

Lucky! I love all food. I am not picky. I am sure i would love it!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

^This does not compute! :cry:

Haha..It's crazy, I know!!
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Chinese food.

:laugh: