What do you eat at a Mexican food restaurant?

Options

Replies

• Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I order shrimp fajitas for one with extra peppers and onions. I skip the refried beans and get borracho beans. Sometimes I'll get a side salad and throw the shrimp on the salad and douse with salsa.
  • lolwutshannon
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, because I know that one meal isn't going to go straight to my thighs.
  • tigermom12
    Options
    I'm glad you said this because I also love soup. They have a chicken soup as well as a chicken tortilla soup. I was thinking about one of those.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to go for a chicken tostada or enchilada, and there is one Mexican restaurant in my neighborhood that offers a good black bean soup. I used to order a cheese enchilada, but at this point that much cheese makes my stomach hurt. A tostada still lets you have a bit of crunchy shell if you like that, but with fewer calories than the large tortilla used for a burrito. Taco salad is usually a good option too, and you can substitute salsa for the dressing.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    We just went this past weekend and I put my chips on a plate, like suggested earlier, so I didn't go crazy. This really worked because I can easily eat an entire basket and I'm not going to avoid something I love eating!! The place we go has a great selection of fish on the menu and one item is steamed fish with onions, peppers, jalapenos and tomatoes...all served in the foil packet it was steamed in. It was great!
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    everything. literally. i have to stay away from mexican because thats usually the start of a binge for me.

#TRIGGER
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Chicken Quesadilla with guac and no sour cream, is high on protein and they don't use that much oil to cook it usually. Stay away from re fried beans tons of calories. Or fish taco's can also be a good choice.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Everything.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    plain old rice and beans. or I will get a quesadilla with veggies
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    A few shots of tequila and a taco
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Crunchy corn tortilla vs. crunchy flour tortilla for anything. So taquitos or crunchy tacos over flautas. Minimal or no rice. Lots of salsa in any case for flavour. Some corn chips to prevent deprivation and gorging but not a whole lot. Taco salad if you can resist the bowl. If it's a salad over stir-fried veggies, I'd take the salad because in my experience, the amount of oil they us in the stir-frys is a bit excessive. Shredded chicken. Little or no cheese.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Carne asada tacos. (Mean, corn tortilla, onion, cilantro) Yummy! I get a side of charro beans as well.

This is an authentic Mexican restaurant where most don't speak English. They don't have anything called "taco salad". My husband and kids love the place and the tacos allow me to go and enjoy it with them. I must have something to put salsa on at least four times a week. I could use a salsa IV actually....
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken with veggies (squash, broccoli, peppers and onions) grilled without oil, and plenty of salsa on the side. I usually even allow myself a modest servings of chips and still come in under 400 cals for this meal.

More splurgey is a spinach and chicken quesadilla with salsa and ask them to go light on the cheese.
  • busytypeAmom
    busytypeAmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chicken and shrimp fajitas with the grilled vegetables. With corn tortillas, lettuce, pico de gallo, and tomatoes. No sour cream. Guacamole is supposed to be healthy but I figure the kind restaurants serve is not so much compared to some made from home. I don't like guacamole myself anyways. Stay away from the cheese dip, which is so hard for me to do :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If I go to a Mexican restaurant, I almost always get some combination of tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. Except for one place that has the best chile rellenos I've ever had.

I also always - well, if the place has it - get fried ice cream.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Ceviche tostadas, fish tacos, carne asada tacos :heart: I adore Mexican food...here in San Diego the taco shops make carne asada fries and they soooo yummy but full of calories. I eat them when I haven't had Mexican in a while.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Smothered beef and bean burrito plate.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always order:

- Medium Sized (not large) Shrimp Cocktails
    - Ceviche Tostada w/half serving of rice and beans on the side
    - Enchilada or Taco plate but only eat half of it and pack the remainder to go
  • busytypeAmom
    busytypeAmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good idea about the oil in the stir-fry. I usually get fajitas but hadn't really thought about that. Taco salad sounds like a better idea. Thanks!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a large STEAK Fajita Burrito with every damn thing I could put on it!