So, are carbs evil or not?

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

I just used his words. I simply cannot afford ANY sugary foods in my diet--I need every available calorie to be a nourishing one. And why the paranoia? What agenda? I haven't accused you of having "an agenda". You have your opinions--I have mine. I know that there are many, many women who share my situation, and telling them to eat like male body-builders while hammering them with the mantras, "Calories in, calories out." and "moderation" simply will not work. You are doing them a disservice and are failing to understand their situation. Is it because none of you he-men can bear the thought of being sugarless? What would Ahnold S. have to say about that? :bigsmile:
    Of course, there are also many, many women who do lose weight with "calories in. calories out" and can eat treats in moderation. Even if we aren't bodybuilders, or 20 years old. Pop-Tarts: they're not just for boys!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    To me carbs are evil, but I am a T2 diabetic. I eat around 20g of carbs a day in the form of fruit and veggies. I make up my calories with natural foods, meat, fish, dairy, nuts, seeds etc. I eat a LOT of saturated fat <shock horror> along with my very low carb diet and in 54 weeks I have lost 102 pounds, as a very nice if unintentional bi product of my LC diet.

HOWEVER... this works for me, I have a superb Doctor here in England who keeps an eye on me, and works with me, and while he would like me to replace my lard diet with an olive oil diet he accepts my figures are stunning, and my diabetes reversed.

One thing I did notice, once I got over the carb flu last year, I found I had more energy than I know what to do with, my mind is sharp and alert, I sleep so, so much better, and all carb cravings have gone. My body is now fully keto adapted, and I am happy to keep it that way. I love my diet - nothing is processed or has more than one ingredient except cheese and Greek yogurt, I eat only the purest, cleanest of foods. This is all my choice to help me avoid diabetes complications, and it is all dependent on me staying well away from bread, rice, past, potato's anything that has more than 10g of carbs per 100g.

I don't ask any one to follow my example (I eat Primal opposed to low carb) but it works for me. One year down and I am the best I have been in years, and I look 10 years younger than I am, which at my age is a huge boost. :-)

My advice with any and all diets, don't listen to what anyone tells you, try things for your self. I believe carbs are a huge part of the obesity epidemic in the USA and here in the UK. At the end of the day, it matters not what I or anyone believes, it is what you must find out for yourself.

Good luck.

Excellent post. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Indeed - but this applies to people who are diabetic - not the 20 year old male op. ( I don't think you said you were)

It also applies to those who are "pre-diabetic" which I was. According to the newest research, nearly all obese people are either diabetic or on their way to becoming so (um...that is why we have incredibly high rates of Type II). Some researchers even refer to "diabesity" as they believe it is essentially the same disease. Morbid obesity is defined as those having a BMI of 35 (or more) and experiencing obesity-related problems (including hypertension, hyperglycemia, etc.). Most all of the morbidly obese are diabetic or pre-diabetic. Women, because they develop leptin resistance at a much higher rate (and sooner) than men, are even more pre-disposed to Type II diabetes as a result of obesity.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I just used his words. I simply cannot afford ANY sugary foods in my diet--I need every available calorie to be a nourishing one. And why the paranoia? What agenda? I haven't accused you of having "an agenda". You have your opinions--I have mine. I know that there are many, many women who share my situation, and telling them to eat like male body-builders while hammering them with the mantras, "Calories in, calories out." and "moderation" simply will not work. You are doing them a disservice and are failing to understand their situation. Is it because none of you he-men can bear the thought of being sugarless? What would Ahnold S. have to say about that? :bigsmile:
    Of course, there are also many, many women who do lose weight with "calories in. calories out" and can eat treats in moderation. Even if we aren't bodybuilders, or 20 years old. Pop-Tarts: they're not just for boys!

I agree that some of it is just the luck of the "genetic draw". The younger a woman is, and the less body fat she has to lose, the more likely she is to be able to follow a simpler approach.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    To me carbs are evil, but I am a T2 diabetic. I eat around 20g of carbs a day in the form of fruit and veggies. I make up my calories with natural foods, meat, fish, dairy, nuts, seeds etc. I eat a LOT of saturated fat <shock horror> along with my very low carb diet and in 54 weeks I have lost 102 pounds, as a very nice if unintentional bi product of my LC diet.

HOWEVER... this works for me, I have a superb Doctor here in England who keeps an eye on me, and works with me, and while he would like me to replace my lard diet with an olive oil diet he accepts my figures are stunning, and my diabetes reversed.

One thing I did notice, once I got over the carb flu last year, I found I had more energy than I know what to do with, my mind is sharp and alert, I sleep so, so much better, and all carb cravings have gone. My body is now fully keto adapted, and I am happy to keep it that way. I love my diet - nothing is processed or has more than one ingredient except cheese and Greek yogurt, I eat only the purest, cleanest of foods. This is all my choice to help me avoid diabetes complications, and it is all dependent on me staying well away from bread, rice, past, potato's anything that has more than 10g of carbs per 100g.

I don't ask any one to follow my example (I eat Primal opposed to low carb) but it works for me. One year down and I am the best I have been in years, and I look 10 years younger than I am, which at my age is a huge boost. :-)

My advice with any and all diets, don't listen to what anyone tells you, try things for your self. I believe carbs are a huge part of the obesity epidemic in the USA and here in the UK. At the end of the day, it matters not what I or anyone believes, it is what you must find out for yourself.

Good luck.

Indeed - but this applies to people who are diabetic - not the 20 year old male op. ( I don't think you said you were)

It also applies to those who are "pre-diabetic" which I was. According to the newest research, nearly all obese people are either diabetic or on their way to becoming so (um...that is why we have incredibly high rates of Type II). Some researchers even refer to "diabesity" as they believe it is essentially the same disease. Morbid obesity is defined as those having a BMI of 35 (or more) and experiencing obesity-related problems (including hypertension, hyperglycemia, etc.). Most all of the morbidly obese are diabetic or pre-diabetic. Women, because they develop leptin resistance at a much higher rate (and sooner) than men, are even more pre-disposed to Type II diabetes as a result of obesity.

This is true. If you are Insulin resistant or pre diabetic by reducing your carbs you can reverse things. I am part owner of a diabetes forum where we do have pre diabetics, and I have read up using many articles about Insulin resistance.

For the general populace, lowering carbs can help with weight loss, but as I said earlier, I would much prefer people didn't just accept my word, but try different approaches.

I began on Atkins, as I say I now eat Primal and I feel wonderful, this may not be the case for other people. I view sites like this one as a wonderful resource for people to read and learn about all kinds of diet and fitness idea's. I think if you have a normal healthy body, and a place like MFP you can find something that will work for you. It's initially all about trial and error, but there is no better place to learn than here. Some members knowledge of diet and nutrition blows me away, it's amazing.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If all carbs were so terribly bad, the Okinawans would not have once been renowned for the high number of healthy and active centenarians in their midst. They ate a diet high in carbohydrates, in the form of vegetables, fruits and sweet potatoes and low in animal protein. In fact, if one reads the book 'The Blue Zones', it becomes clear that most of the areas with a high percentage of centenarians, ate a diet quite high in carbs, but low in animal protein. Not to say low carb is necessarily bad, but I myself prefer to keep moderate carb levels, moderate protein, moderate fat, everything in balance.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Good luck.

This is true. If you are Insulin resistant or pre diabetic by reducing your carbs you can reverse things. I am part owner of a diabetes forum where we do have pre diabetics, and I have read up using many articles about Insulin resistance.

For the general populace, lowering carbs can help with weight loss, but as I said earlier, I would much prefer people didn't just accept my word, but try different approaches.

I began on Atkins, as I say I now eat Primal and I feel wonderful, this may not be the case for other people. I view sites like this one as a wonderful resource for people to read and learn about all kinds of diet and fitness idea's. I think if you have a normal healthy body, and a place like MFP you can find something that will work for you. It's initially all about trial and error, but there is no better place to learn than here. Some members knowledge of diet and nutrition blows me away, it's amazing.

Thanks for your input. What's the URL for your diabetes forum? One thing that I found very interesting from my most recent readings is that leptin-resistance usually precedes and predicts insulin-resistance. This is a new finding and explains why obesity researchers have abandoned the idea of giving leptin to obese folk. Their leptin levels are already very high. The problem is that their cells are resistant to the leptin that they are producing. It is very similar to the problem of insulin-resistance. The good news is that many docs who are treating leptin-resistance (leptin was only discovered in 1995) have found that a paleo diet (along with a few other measures) can completely reverse it and help the patient to avoid developing insulin-resistance and Type II. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If all carbs were so terribly bad, the Okinawans would not have once been renowned for the high number of healthy and active centenarians in their midst. They ate a diet high in carbohydrates, in the form of vegetables, fruits and sweet potatoes and low in animal protein. In fact, if one reads the book 'The Blue Zones', it becomes clear that most of the areas with a high percentage of centenarians, ate a diet quite high in carbs, but low in animal protein. Not to say low carb is necessarily bad, but I myself prefer to keep moderate carb levels, moderate protein, moderate fat, everything in balance.

Yeah. Some of the newest research is focusing on why many "sea people" often eat a diet that is very high in carbs (they typically eat a LOT of fruit) but don't seem to have the same problems as others who eat a diet high in carbs. They believe that it may be that the combination of eating a lot of sugar (or even natural sugars in a diet high in fruit) combined with grain is part of the picture. They are focusing specifically on the lectins in grain. Sea people, of course, do not traditionally raise or even eat much grain. But interestingly, as they adopt our dietary habits, they struggle with obesity and related medical problems.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Thanks for your input. What's the URL for your diabetes forum? One thing that I found very interesting from my most recent readings is that leptin-resistance usually precedes and predicts insulin-resistance. This is a new finding and explains why obesity researchers have abandoned the idea of giving leptin to obese folk. Their leptin levels are already very high. The problem is that their cells are resistant to the leptin that they are producing. It is very similar to the problem of insulin-resistance. The good news is that many docs who are treating leptin-resistance (leptin was only discovered in 1995) have found that a paleo diet (along with a few other measures) can completely reverse it and help the patient to avoid developing insulin-resistance and Type II. :smile:

Here you go: http://www.eattoyourmeter.org/forum/index.html As the name suggests, all diabetics should eat to their BG meter, if you do that you can learn what foods and in what quantity your body works best, and keep your diabetes in check. No one wants complications, they are horrendous, so eat to your meter if you are diabetic. :-)

I also agree regarding leptin. I was obese I'm a normal healthy weight now, but when I was so large, I could eat and eat and never feel properly full. So, I would snack or graze all day long. Now I eat my meals, and may have a snack in the evening (I Have just had some cheese and almonds, and am satisfied). Leptin in overweight people is a problem, and from my own experience as I began to slim down my leptin began to work properly, and I began to have the feeling of being full, something I had not had for a long time. It's very difficult, because I can't and won't blame overweight people, not now I know why and how it can happen. I wasn't greedy, I never was, but because I didn't feel full, I would eat chips, then another packet and so it went on. I don't eat chips at all now, and I actually don't want them. My whole body is a world away from what it used to be.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Good luck.

Here you go: http://www.eattoyourmeter.org/forum/index.html As the name suggests, all diabetics should eat to their BG meter, if you do that you can learn what foods and in what quantity your body works best, and keep your diabetes in check. No one wants complications, they are horrendous, so eat to your meter if you are diabetic. :-)

I also agree regarding leptin. I was obese I'm a normal healthy weight now, but when I was so large, I could eat and eat and never feel properly full. So, I would snack or graze all day long. Now I eat my meals, and may have a snack in the evening (I Have just had some cheese and almonds, and am satisfied). Leptin in overweight people is a problem, and from my own experience as I began to slim down my leptin began to work properly, and I began to have the feeling of being full, something I had not had for a long time. It's very difficult, because I can't and won't blame overweight people, not now I know why and how it can happen. I wasn't greedy, I never was, but because I didn't feel full, I would eat chips, then another packet and so it went on. I don't eat chips at all now, and I actually don't want them. My whole body is a world away from what it used to be.

Yes--that is the whole problem of leptin resistance. Others say, "Well, you just stop eating when you aren't hungry." the leptin-resistant person says, "I don't ever reach that point." Formerly, I could eat a full meal and I ALWAYS had room for dessert (even if it was just a tiny bite). Now I know that my leptin-resistance must have abated because after a meal, the thought of eating a sugary dessert on top of a full meal is vaguely nauseating. What a change that is! I do eat a few blue potato chips now and then (I had a half-ounce of them at dinner). But then I was never a chip person anyway so I don't worry that eating a few will cause any problems. Of course, I am careful to eat them in the context of a meal. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to eat them by themselves between meals.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bum[ity bump bump
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    To me, no.

I love carbs in general.

I personally don't nor care to count carbs.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    To me, no.

I love carbs in general.

I personally don't nor care to count carbs.

Why why did you bump this thread?