So, are carbs evil or not?

Options

Replies

• dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a medical reason for keeping the carbs low, but I also find that I enjoy it. I would way rather eat a lot of low calorie, low carb food than a less substantial amount of bread, pasta, etc. The higher amount of protein and fat in my diet also keeps me much fuller than grains ever could.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Trying to stop confusion actually. Caloric deficit IS all that is needed. The science and math is there.

But determining what is a calorie deficit for any individual has many parameters and is not easy to determine. My macros are set for one pound a week and I faithfully follow my plan to a "t" . I also exercise what I have determined is a safe level for me and I faithfully record that. Yet, I only lose about a half-pound per week. I can tell you that if I ate half of my calories in "empty calories" (and sugar is, by anyone's measure, empty calories) I would not only stop losing weight altogether but I would also become ill. You can't slap your maxims on everyone and expect not to do real harm to people who don't know any better.

So, instead everyone should take your anecdotal experience and apply it as a universal maxim?

Not at all. I am the exception to your maxims as are many, many others---especially women.

Ok, so there are some exceptions. No one is confused about that. And as much as I'd like to take credit for being the author of the energy balance equation, as well as the theories for properly setting macronutrients, they are not "my" maxins. As the saying goes "it's science Yo!".
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but I'm always hearing contradicting stories from people. Some who swear that cutting carbs helped them lose a lot of weight, and others who say that it doesn't really matter in the end (basically that calories are calories). Right now I'm trying to just count calories, and watch how many carbs I take in.

For the record, OP stated that they are just counting calories. No mention of any specific medical condition. Based on that I submit my advice as being pertinent.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Trying to stop confusion actually. Caloric deficit IS all that is needed. The science and math is there.

But determining what is a calorie deficit for any individual has many parameters and is not easy to determine. My macros are set for one pound a week and I faithfully follow my plan to a "t" . I also exercise what I have determined is a safe level for me and I faithfully record that. Yet, I only lose about a half-pound per week. I can tell you that if I ate half of my calories in "empty calories" (and sugar is, by anyone's measure, empty calories) I would not only stop losing weight altogether but I would also become ill. You can't slap your maxims on everyone and expect not to do real harm to people who don't know any better.

So, instead everyone should take your anecdotal experience and apply it as a universal maxim?

Not at all. I am the exception to your maxims as are many, many others---especially women.

Ok, so there are some exceptions. No one is confused about that. And as much as I'd like to take credit for being the author of the energy balance equation, as well as the theories for properly setting macronutrients, they are not "my" maxins. As the saying goes "it's science Yo!".

So is it "science" that Zucker rats become very, very fat because of their genetic inability to manufacture leptin (when given leptin injections, they return to a normal weight). Many, many obese individuals often have the ability to manufacture leptin but have apparently become resistant to its effects.
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I went back to eating sugar and wheat, I would likely be hungry all the time, which makes one much more prone to "going off the reservation".

This^
    I love eating low carb because I'm very rarely hungry in the same way I was when trying to eat low fat & calorie based. Last week I splurged a bit to much and for three days afterwards I always felt hungry even though I was eating over my calorie limit. Once I kept my carbs down to a low limit the hunger and cravings went away and I feel in control once again.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but I'm always hearing contradicting stories from people. Some who swear that cutting carbs helped them lose a lot of weight, and others who say that it doesn't really matter in the end (basically that calories are calories). Right now I'm trying to just count calories, and watch how many carbs I take in.

For the record, OP stated that they are just counting calories. No mention of any specific medical condition. Based on that I submit my advice as being pertinent.

They may not even KNOW that they have a specific medical condition.
  • magerum
    Options

So you're offering medical advice?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If I went back to eating sugar and wheat, I would likely be hungry all the time, which makes one much more prone to "going off the reservation".

This^
    I love eating low carb because I'm very rarely hungry in the same way I was when trying to eat low fat & calorie based. Last week I splurged a bit to much and for three days afterwards I always felt hungry even though I was eating over my calorie limit. Once I kept my carbs down to a low limit the hunger and cravings went away and I feel in control once again.

Same here. I went to a restaurant on Thursday afternoon and even though the amount of calories in my shrimp and scallop salad was only slightly higher than what I normally eat for lunch (and the protein was actually on the high side), I was starved all afternoon. Couldn't figure it out but decided to go online and check the constituents of the dish (it is a national chain that publishes "allergy information fact sheets" that list all the ingredients). It was then that I saw that the VERY salty salad dressing (1800 mg. of sodium!) was "balanced" with sugar! :mad: That is a favorite chef's trick. When they get too much salt in a dish (in this case it was deliberate) they put in several tablespoons of sugar so that the customer won't think it too salty.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

You know that I am not. Was that meant to harass me?
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I think that some of us don't know what your point is. So far, from what you have written, you seem to believe that:
    1) People with high TDEEs should starve themselves because other people don't have enough to eat.
    2) You have a medical condition, and therefore everyone else should eat like you (even though we don't have the same problem).
    3) People who have lost significant amounts of weight shouldn't be trusted, as you keep arguing with people who have seen amazing results.
  • magerum
    Options

Not at all. I simply asked a question based on your responses. Why do you feel I harassed you? Because I was trying to answer the OP in a way that you don't agree?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I have a medical reason for keeping the carbs low, but I also find that I enjoy it. I would way rather eat a lot of low calorie, low carb food than a less substantial amount of bread, pasta, etc. The higher amount of protein and fat in my diet also keeps me much fuller than grains ever could.

It is interesting that you mention grains. Researchers are on the trail of trying to figure out why some people can eat a lot of carbohydrates (like some "sea" people who eat approximately 70% of their diets in carbohydrates because they eat a lot of fruit) and not get fat but other people eat even lower amounts of carbohydrates and become fat. One of the hormones they are focusing on is leptin and the likelihood of "leptin-resistance". They are working on the hypothesis that it may be the lectins in grain that somehow interact with the bio-chemistry to produce leptin-resistance. The "sea" people do not eat grain (try growing wheat on a tropical island :wink: ).
  • BlueObsidian
    Options
    Unfortunately, Ed, individuals vary greatly. There is a distinct difference between men and women. What works for normal or even obese males, will not necessarily work for obese females--especially females "past their primes" (which, by nature's standards is past 35 and the child-bearing years). There is NOT just a one-size-fits all solution---that is much too simplistic.

You know what the funniest thing about this thread is? The OP is a 20 year old man.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Not at all. I simply asked a question based on your responses. Why do you feel I harassed you? Because I was trying to answer the OP in a way that you don't agree?

No, because you specifically questioned my actions.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Unfortunately, Ed, individuals vary greatly. There is a distinct difference between men and women. What works for normal or even obese males, will not necessarily work for obese females--especially females "past their primes" (which, by nature's standards is past 35 and the child-bearing years). There is NOT just a one-size-fits all solution---that is much too simplistic.

You know what the funniest thing about this thread is? The OP is a 20 year old man.

Well, in that case, he may, in fact, be helped a great deal by the advice of some of the men here.
  • magerum
    Options

Not at all. I simply asked a question based on your responses.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What's the difference, exactly? All the women, even those "past their primes", who follow the recommended training methods involving lifting weights and calorie deficit show extraordinary progress.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I think that some of us don't know what your point is. So far, from what you have written, you seem to believe that:
    1) People with high TDEEs should starve themselves because other people don't have enough to eat.
    2) You have a medical condition, and therefore everyone else should eat like you (even though we don't have the same problem).
    3) People who have lost significant amounts of weight shouldn't be trusted, as you keep arguing with people who have seen amazing results.

None of that is true but I am too tired to argue. I am going to bed because I will be getting up early, as I am going out of town tomorrow. Good night.

p.s. I have lost a fair bit of weight (and a significant per cent of body fat) myself.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

What's the difference, exactly? All the women, even those "past their primes", who follow the recommended training methods involving lifting weights and calorie deficit show extraordinary progress.

Too tired to go into it now. Good night. If the thread is still going when I come back from my trip in a few days, I will rejoin the discussion.
  • BlueObsidian
    Options

I can't eat as many calories as a man who is about the same size.

Besides that, nothing. Although, I'm only 30 so I still have five years until I'm "past my prime." Always nice of people to tell others when they are over the hill, isn't it?