So, are carbs evil or not?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight at 50%+ carbs, mostly from white potato & grain. I wont even get into how many carbs I eat now to maintain (diary's open).

guessing you ate at a deficit? shocking.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It depends on what kind of carbohydrates we're talking about. Fruit and vegetables are the ideal way to get them, followed by grains. The problem with grains, however, is that many people are adversely affected by wheat. If you notice bloating and constipation when you eat grains, you may have an intolerance. Even if you can digest them okay, you may want to cut wheat out of your diet for a couple of weeks and just observe the results you get. The truth is, wheat can never be a "whole grain" food. It has been processed, it is not in it's original form. And if you have an intolerance to wheat, it's not going to matter if you buy the white bread or the brown. Also, most wheat is genetically modified, which is not a good thing for your body.

My advice; replace wheat with other grains that ARE truly whole grains - like quinoa, millet, corn, amaranth, wild rice ... There are so many gluten free alternatives nowadays, why not give it a go? Try it for two weeks, and if you like the results you're getting, there is no reason to eat wheat. All of the other grains I've listed provide way more nutritional value.

Bottom line; quality food (low quality and low calorie = disaster for your body! this is why many diet foods just make you hungrier and leave you feeling like crap), make sure you're eating a high protein diet if you want more muscle tone, get most of your carbs from fruits and vegetables, eat as close to 0g of sugar a day (best way to get it is from fruit! You can use Stevia to give coffee, tea, and bakes goods a "sweet" taste. you won't notice the difference after a while, promise!). I wouldn't worry too much about fiber, because if you're eating enough fresh produce, your digestive system will be happy. Try hormone free meats, cheeses, and milk (or dairy free alternatives - almond milk is AWESOME to shred pounds!) to ensure that your dairy intake isn't messing with your hormones that will in turn affect your weight loss.

You over complicate things, really.

and you advocate eating 2,000 calories of ice cream, cookies, pop tarts and other processed empty calories daily. to each his or her own. you do it your way, we'll do it ours.

happy?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of carbohydrates we're talking about. Fruit and vegetables are the ideal way to get them, followed by grains. The problem with grains, however, is that many people are adversely affected by wheat. If you notice bloating and constipation when you eat grains, you may have an intolerance. Even if you can digest them okay, you may want to cut wheat out of your diet for a couple of weeks and just observe the results you get. The truth is, wheat can never be a "whole grain" food. It has been processed, it is not in it's original form. And if you have an intolerance to wheat, it's not going to matter if you buy the white bread or the brown. Also, most wheat is genetically modified, which is not a good thing for your body.

My advice; replace wheat with other grains that ARE truly whole grains - like quinoa, millet, corn, amaranth, wild rice ... There are so many gluten free alternatives nowadays, why not give it a go? Try it for two weeks, and if you like the results you're getting, there is no reason to eat wheat. All of the other grains I've listed provide way more nutritional value.

Bottom line; quality food (low quality and low calorie = disaster for your body! this is why many diet foods just make you hungrier and leave you feeling like crap), make sure you're eating a high protein diet if you want more muscle tone, get most of your carbs from fruits and vegetables, eat as close to 0g of sugar a day (best way to get it is from fruit! You can use Stevia to give coffee, tea, and bakes goods a "sweet" taste. you won't notice the difference after a while, promise!). I wouldn't worry too much about fiber, because if you're eating enough fresh produce, your digestive system will be happy. Try hormone free meats, cheeses, and milk (or dairy free alternatives - almond milk is AWESOME to shred pounds!) to ensure that your dairy intake isn't messing with your hormones that will in turn affect your weight loss.

and you advocate eating 2,000 calories of ice cream, cookies, pop tarts and other processed empty calories daily. to each his or her own. you do it your way, we'll do it ours.

happy?

I agree with you Coach Reddy. I have never eaten like that in my life (nor would I want to--there are children starving in the world). I got queasy just reading it. :tongue:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Carbs have a direct correlation to leptin levels (hormone that regulates metabolism) carbs are good and should be where the majority of your cals come from.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also think people take to much stock into foods being "good" or "bad". I think the terms should me "more nutritious" or "less nutritious". Refined white flour/sugar/ect for instance is less nutritious than whole intact potatoes, brown rice, ect. If you choose more nourishing foods, I think the OP is doing fine.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight at 50%+ carbs, mostly from white potato & grain. I wont even get into how many carbs I eat now to maintain (diary's open).

guessing you ate at a deficit? shocking.

So now you're onboard with a deficit being all that's needed to lose weight?
  • magerum
    Options

happy?

I advocate allowing yourself 20-25% of your intake to whatever you want. In my case that's mostly simple sugar. Since my daily intake is north of 4,000 a day that gives me more than 800 calories to advocate to simple sugar.

As far as "empty" calories, that isn't what then thread is about and we know you have a radically different view as to what's "empty". As opposed to me as don't buy into the concept. A calories is a unit a measurement and in order to have any caloric value there must be a certain amount of macro (even micro) nutrients present, we'll say for the sake of discussion, per gram of weight.

To each their own, but your way doesn't grant you any additional or special rights to voice your opinion in open forums or disqualify me and mine.
  • magerum
    Options

happy?

I agree with you Coach Reddy. I have never eaten like that in my life (nor would I want to--there are children starving in the world). I got queasy just reading it. :tongue:

I don't see the relevance of starving children and me eating pop tarts. If I stop eating Pop Tarts will that help starving children in 3rd world countries?

My health markers are fantastic, sorry if reading my diary made you queasy. I find it delicious.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Carbs have a direct correlation to leptin levels (hormone that regulates metabolism) carbs are good and should be where the majority of your cals come from.

Yes, that is true in non-obese individuals (particularly men). But leptin is already elevated in obese individuals and the blood level of leptin that women have is already, 2 to 3 times that of men at the same level of body fat. The problem is leptin-resistance and that is curbed the same way that insulin resistance is curbed, by cutting carbs. In fact, leptin-resistance predicts insulin-resistance. It just isn't so simple. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/707432_7
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I also think people take to much stock into foods being "good" or "bad". I think the terms should me "more nutritious" or "less nutritious". Refined white flour/sugar/ect for instance is less nutritious than whole intact potatoes, brown rice, ect. If you choose more nourishing foods, I think the OP is doing fine.

^^^

29474647.jpg
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

happy?

I don't see the relevance of starving children and me eating pop tarts. If I stop eating Pop Tarts will that help starving children in 3rd world countries?

It might if you stopped eating so much and contributed the money you saved to a save-the-children charity. Hope you don't mind my asking but did you have gastric banding or something? How is it than you can eat like that and maintain your weight? MFP puts you in a much lower calorie range than you are apparently eating.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It might if you stopped eating so much and contributed the money you saved to a save-the-children charity. Hope you don't mind my asking but did you have gastric banding or something? How is it than you can eat like that and maintain your weight? MFP puts you in a much lower calorie range than you are apparently eating.

So you think people with high TDEE's shouldn't eat? My boyfriend is 6'1" and weighs 158. He'd like to gain 10 or 15 pounds, but because his job is so physical, he maintains at about 3700 calories a day. Trying to put on weight, we want to get his intake over 4000. Should he starve himself on 2000 a day because other people don't have enough to eat?
  • magerum
    Options

happy?

I donate, healthily, to charity already. Several thousand a year if you must know.

I have no surgical help of any kind. I maintain through exercise, cardio & lifting. 3 days a week of each. MFP does a poor job of estimating calories for those that lift regularly and heavy. I don't manually adjust the value because I find it amusing. It's a good example of cardio vs lifting as pertaining to caloric needs.

One additional point: If I had any sort of gastric surgery, eating as much volume as I do would be practically physically impossible and even potentially fatal.
  • magerum
    Options

So you think people with high TDEE's shouldn't eat? My boyfriend is 6'1" and weighs 158. He'd like to gain 10 or 15 pounds, but because his job is so physical, he maintains at about 3700 calories a day. Trying to put on weight, we want to get his intake over 4000. Should he starve himself on 2000 a day because other people don't have enough to eat?

I like you, just sayin'.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

happy?

Same logic could be applied to only eating cheap refined carbs or telling someone who purchases organic foods to purchase cheaper food and donate the savings to a charity
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Not at all.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

^^^

29474647.jpg

exactly. :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

happy?

I donate, healthily, to charity already. Several thousand a year if you must know.

I have no surgical help of any kind. I maintain through exercise, cardio & lifting. 3 days a week of each. MFP does a poor job of estimating calories for those that lift regularly and heavy. I don't manually adjust the value because I find it amusing. It's a good example of cardio vs lifting as pertaining to caloric needs.

One additional point: If I had any sort of gastric surgery, eating as much volume as I do would be practically physically impossible and even potentially fatal.

for the record, i'm totally on board with you eating that MUCH food - as I was doing the same for a while when I was putting on muscle. couldn't deal with the cost long term though, so i turned to nutrient dense foods instead of quantity.