Why im not losing weight???

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Because you are not eating enough. You should be eating 1200 cals AND your exercise calories to lose weight!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm

Again, I'm going to ask WHY people are telling this girl HOW to lose weight when she's 5'3'' and 123 lbs!?? Get with it, people.

It's because people generally don't fully pay attention.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 125 right now and I am definitely NOT overweight. You may have very little body fat to lose and that might be why it you aren't losing weight.

In any case, I agree with the others who say you need to eat more. I eat about 1,500 calories per day on non-run days and about 1,800 per day on running days.

ETA: My own ticker shows 110 as a goal, but it isn't because I'm trying to get that low. My weight will naturally go down during running season and it's just a visual for me to see where I am. I will naturally end up around 115 when I start putting in heavy mileage for marathon training.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Im eating healthy as possible, lot of fruits, vegetables,no sugar,no meat, low carb,high fiber, protein from milkproducts,eggs ,under 1000 cal per day.and no meals after 4 pm. im working out for 1 hour everday. and im really constant. why im not getting skinny? ( rightnow im 5'3 123.3lbs)

The body uses only three kinds of energy: fats, carbs, and protein. Fat is important for nerves. Carbs are important for energy. Protein is important for cell repair.

Also, 1000 kcal/day sounds like it might be a bit low for your height and weight.

I think you finally reached the perfect weight for your height. Congratulations! Now, it's just about tweaking your eating habits to maintain a healthy weight with a healthy diet. :-)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You people are trying to give weight loss advice to a girl who claims to want to lose weight yet she is 5'3'' and 123 lbs. I am 5'1'' and 123 lbs and overweight I am not. So... stop telling this girl how to lose weight and tell her something different. Tell her if she wants to tone up to lift weights, etc....

But I still stand by my original post that this person is trolling.

This.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    obvious troll is obvious

Agreed

:explode:

People that are at a healthy weight and just want to 'get skinny' annoy me. This is about health.
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take a second look at your calorie deficit, I overestimated the amount I burned in the last week. Always assume your rmr or bmr is less than the calculator's estimate and your calorie intake is more. Also, it's kinda hard to be low carb and high fruit, just wondering how you managed that. Your macros shouldn't control your diet as much as calories.

Other then that above, all I can say is the obvious and that's water fluctuation for whatever reasons. So take it easy, recheck calories and sodium, give it a week and see if the scale drops. Or when you feel at your lightest on whatever morning of this week, weigh yourself.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Under 1000 calories is FAR TOO LITTLE.

You probably need at least 600 more calories.

Go check with this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then be sure and read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It also doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body can't tell time. All that crap about not skipping breakfast, eating 6 meals a day, and not eating after X pm is just crap. You can do all those things, but you certainly don't have to.

It does matter what time of day you eat. If you eat a meal right before bed, you are not giving your body time to burn those calories, you should never eat a meal 3 hours before bed, your body goes into a resting stage and will store all those carbs, fats and unwated calories. Women should always eat a healthy breakfast, it does help with weight loss and will help with snacking unhealthy foods throughout the day.
    BRO SCIENCE

Sorry, but I have to agree. It does matter what time you eat, and when you eat. If you've never had a weight problem, then you probably wouldn't understand, especially if you don't have food "issues" where you see food as more than just fuel. First of all, when you eat throughout the day, and you don't allow yourself to be hungry all day, by skipping breakfast, snacks, and lunch, you will grab quick, easy things that are unhealthy, and packed with calories. Often, we do not realize how hungry we are until we see something that "looks good." I can certainly vouch for that personally. Many of us go all day without eating. I used to be like that. I could drink coffee all day long, without eating anything, but if I go through a store, or if a co-worker is eating something that looks good, then I feel hungry, and want what I see. I also believe that you shouldn't eat 2-3 hours before going to bed. When we sleep, our metabolism slows, and is not going to burn off food as it would while we are awake. Not eating 2-3 hours before bed gives food a chance to digest, and get burned off before sleeping. Not to say you should eat a full meal 3 hours before going to sleep, either. I have lost 70lb's sticking to these beliefs, and I have been fat since I was 10yo. I also know other people who are obese, who go all day without eating, and then binge out at night, because, whether they knew it or not, they were hungry. Also, if you don't eat breakfast in the morning, your body doesn't know when it will get it's next meal, so it slows metabolism, in anticipation for it's next meal. It's called survival instinct. Our bodies are programmed to survive, it does not know the society we live in today, it was built to survive in times where food may become scarce.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    For the love of everythings that's holy, quit throwing around the Starvation Mode scare tatic. Cheese and Rice people I've eaten around 800 calories a day for over a year now (some days higher, some days lower) and I've not seen hide nor hair of Starvation Mode. I still lose 10 lbs a month. Find another reason to blaime it on but leave Starvation Mode out of the conversation.

And so no one turns me in for encouraging others to eat low, I'm NOT and I don't. Just trying to disprove your thinking here.
  • alabamamommy
    Options
    I'm new to this...what's a troll??
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    For the love of everythings that's holy, quit throwing around the Starvation Mode scare tatic. Cheese and Rice people I've eaten around 800 calories a day for over a year now (some days higher, some days lower) and I've not seen hide nor hair of Starvation Mode. I still lose 10 lbs a month. Find another reason to blaime it on but leave Starvation Mode out of the conversation.

And so no one turns me in for encouraging others to eat low, I'm NOT and I don't. Just trying to disprove your thinking here.

Yes, that's true, you starve yourself long enough, you will certainly lose weight! But why torture OURselves, when eating more, and being HEALTHIER, can lead to the same goal. I personally love food, as well as most of the people on here, since they obviously got to be overweight somehow. Also, I've been down the starvation path before, plenty of times. It has always led to binging, and throwing the diet out the window, and then gaining the weight back. Also, I like muscle, and looking toned and in shape. When we don't eat enough, our body will break down muscle for the protein, as a source of fuel. No thank you.
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    I'm new to this...what's a troll??

Lol. Most of the people on the forums. Lolol.
  • casiefox2
    Options
    You aren't losing weight because your body thinks you're starving to death and is holding on to every last calorie it can. Also... when the body is in starvation mode like that, it's a lot easier to break apart protein, ie muscle mass to convert to usable energy than it is fat. To convert protein to ADP (adenosine diphosphate), which is the body's usable energy, it doesn't take as many steps as it does to convert fat to ADP. Your mistake is a common one, but you need to eat, a lot more, and not limit yourself to fruits and vegetables. I'm a certified group fitness instructor, and I'm concerned that you are going to collapse during one of your workouts. If you're trying to lose weight, try to just cut back 100 calories per day from what it would require to maintain your weight. If you do that, you should lose one pound every ten days, which is a HEALTHY rate to lose weight. Good luck, and please take care of yourself!
  • Hollie6790
    Hollie6790 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eating that little is starving your body. When you don't have any calories to burn, your body starts to store fat and its hard to come off. I eat almost 2,000 calories a day. This is an unhealthy way to try to lose weight. Fuel your body. You wouldn't drive a car on an empty tank of gas, would you?
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I overexercised for far too long which led to a huge calorie deficit for me - once I cut back on exercise all of the 50 pounds I lost quickly came back. I now know why - why so many people yo yo. We create way too much of a deficit and when we try to eat "normal" our body freaks out and holds onto all of the calories we eat.
    Please don't listen to people who eat only 800 calories a day. Anybody needs more than that to function at a healthy level.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Under 1000 calories is FAR TOO LITTLE.

You probably need at least 600 more calories.

Go check with this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then be sure and read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It also doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body can't tell time. All that crap about not skipping breakfast, eating 6 meals a day, and not eating after X pm is just crap. You can do all those things, but you certainly don't have to.

It does matter what time of day you eat. If you eat a meal right before bed, you are not giving your body time to burn those calories, you should never eat a meal 3 hours before bed, your body goes into a resting stage and will store all those carbs, fats and unwated calories. Women should always eat a healthy breakfast, it does help with weight loss and will help with snacking unhealthy foods throughout the day.
    BRO SCIENCE

Sorry, but I have to agree. It does matter what time you eat, and when you eat. If you've never had a weight problem, then you probably wouldn't understand, especially if you don't have food "issues" where you see food as more than just fuel. First of all, when you eat throughout the day, and you don't allow yourself to be hungry all day, by skipping breakfast, snacks, and lunch, you will grab quick, easy things that are unhealthy, and packed with calories. Often, we do not realize how hungry we are until we see something that "looks good." I can certainly vouch for that personally. Many of us go all day without eating. I used to be like that. I could drink coffee all day long, without eating anything, but if I go through a store, or if a co-worker is eating something that looks good, then I feel hungry, and want what I see. I also believe that you shouldn't eat 2-3 hours before going to bed. When we sleep, our metabolism slows, and is not going to burn off food as it would while we are awake. Not eating 2-3 hours before bed gives food a chance to digest, and get burned off before sleeping. Not to say you should eat a full meal 3 hours before going to sleep, either. I have lost 70lb's sticking to these beliefs, and I have been fat since I was 10yo. I also know other people who are obese, who go all day without eating, and then binge out at night, because, whether they knew it or not, they were hungry. Also, if you don't eat breakfast in the morning, your body doesn't know when it will get it's next meal, so it slows metabolism, in anticipation for it's next meal. It's called survival instinct. Our bodies are programmed to survive, it does not know the society we live in today, it was built to survive in times where food may become scarce.

I think it depends on the person. I don't binge at night, but I do eat-some nights I don't get off work until 9:30, I come home and have a meal at 10, and go to sleep by 11. I've lost almost 10lbs in the last month and half. If I don't eat I either a.)don't sleep as well or b.)wake up starving in the morning. You do what works for you, but it may not work for everybody. :)
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    I overexercised for far too long which led to a huge calorie deficit for me - once I cut back on exercise all of the 50 pounds I lost quickly came back. I now know why - why so many people yo yo. We create way too much of a deficit and when we try to eat "normal" our body freaks out and holds onto all of the calories we eat.
    Please don't listen to people who eat only 800 calories a day. Anybody needs more than that to function at a healthy level.

Yes! My BMR is like 1420. I'm 5'3 and 142lb's. BMR is basal metabolic rate, which means the least amount of calories your body needs, just to survive! That means don't go under the BMR.
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh deary, you're body is in starvation mode. When you eat too little it makes it SO much harder to loose weight, because your body doesn't know when the next meal is going to be, so it'll store every bit of food it can. Especially if your exercising for an hour a day.
    You're making it harder on yourself. I know it's counter-intuitive to say "eat more food to lose weight", but in this case, it's exactly what you need to do!
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Because you are not eating enough. You should be eating 1200 cals AND your exercise calories to lose weight!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm

Again, I'm going to ask WHY people are telling this girl HOW to lose weight when she's 5'3'' and 123 lbs!?? Get with it, people.

Yes to this.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Yes, that's true, you starve yourself long enough, you will certainly lose weight! But why torture OURselves, when eating more, and being HEALTHIER, can lead to the same goal. I personally love food, as well as most of the people on here, since they obviously got to be overweight somehow. Also, I've been down the starvation path before, plenty of times. It has always led to binging, and throwing the diet out the window, and then gaining the weight back. Also, I like muscle, and looking toned and in shape. When we don't eat enough, our body will break down muscle for the protein, as a source of fuel. No thank you.

It won't break down your muscle until your body fat is below something like 6% I have a ways to go until then. And for the record I'm NOT starving and I bake sweets and treats all the time and don't binge (of course I'm not a binge eater anyways) and I never feel the need to to shovel food in my mouth cause I'm starving. I'm good with what I do, I have a goal and I intend to meet it.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    You people are trying to give weight loss advice to a girl who claims to want to lose weight yet she is 5'3'' and 123 lbs. I am 5'1'' and 123 lbs and overweight I am not. So... stop telling this girl how to lose weight and tell her something different. Tell her if she wants to tone up to lift weights, etc....

But I still stand by my original post that this person is trolling.

agrees