White rice or brown rice?

Options
124»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'll take brown only where there is no white avail. Being said that I ONLY have rice in my sushi rolls. So replacing the rice for something else in that case is not an option.

Plus I can have 6 sushi rolls & not even hit 250 cals. I'm full...bursting even & have had lunch & wont eat dinner till late. I been eating sushi rolls almost daily since I started just over a year ago.... does not seem to have one me harm. I met my GW in 7 months.
  • tanterror
    tanterror Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Brown rice.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The part that is left on brown rice is the BRAN and GERM, NOT the HULL!! I've had a few kernels of rice with the hull left on find their way into my pot. They are about as edible as rocks. :D

The phytic acid in brown rice is not enough to stop the absorption of ALL the nutrients in the germ and bran. With white rice, you don't even stand a chance as the nutrients were never there to begin with. I also don't see how extra fiber could be "the problem." Even if the phytic acid stopped the absorption of all the nutrients in the germ and bran, it would still be at least white rice + fiber and that's better for you anyway. My body knows the difference. I don't feel as full or as alert after eating white rice as I do after eating brown. White rice makes me feel lethargic and hungry.

If you're using rice as a staple food, I think it's important to make it brown or at least find another source of the nutrients you're missing out on. Asian people didn't imagine Beri Beri.

However if you eat rice infrequently then you should choose according to your taste preferences. :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    No difference once digested. Only brown if you need to slow digestion to feel fuller for longer.