Pro Anorexia on MFP....

Options
1235»

Replies

• HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have had a few anorexic ana diet people that I've had to delete. Their profile photos were horrid. It made me absolutely sick to my stomach. I have a few more that continue to talk about purging that I just can't support. These ones I kept being helpful for, but it is hard for me to see it. It is so very sad to watch!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Yes!! OMG. I'm so sick of people accusing people with actual problems of being pro-Ana/Mia. I have NEVER met anyone who would promote such a thing. They may struggle themselves but always encourage others to be healthy and seek help. I wish people would stop being so judgemental of those with mental illnesses--because that's what it is. And it's so hard to stop, seek help, and recover.

One does not have to outright state "Yes, please, do this like me!" to encourage eating disordered behavior. Often complicity is enough to keep someone sick.

I, too, have people on my Flist who have disorders. Several of them eating disorders. The key point of contact, however, is that they are all in recovery. Just because people are brusque with those active in their disorder does not mean they aren't compassionate to the issue.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a fair amount of FR from some. I don't accept when it's obvious to me that they are. I personally do not feel equipped to handle that or see their comments on my newsfeeds, so that's why I don't accept or unfriend them if i recognize behavior that makes me uncomfortable in that vein. I notice they come in clusters as well. Not sure what that's about.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this wasn't around when I had an eating disorder....
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I notice they come in clusters as well. Not sure what that's about.

People with similar interests tend to group up, especially with disorders and habits as cloistered as eating disorders.
  • jesleatherman
    jesleatherman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    posted to the wrong area oops
  • jesleatherman
    jesleatherman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have noticed. I am happy that the app does tell you when you are going into starvation mode. skinny and weak is not pretty. strong, and lean is...i just noticed a 5'3 woman post that she wants to be 112 ...I am 5 ' 1.5 and at that weight I would feel unhealthy. Muscle weighs more than fat and I would rather be strong than skinny and weak...

Maybe YOU would feel unhealthy, but that weight might be perfectly fine for that woman.

Do you know her weight and health history? Are you a doctor?

no, that's why i said 'i' just chatting...discussing. sheesh. defensive much? my bootcamp instructor emphasizes that we need to eat more protein and eat every 3 -3 1/2 hours... my goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. i am speaking from personal perspective. i have very small frame ...so without muscle i could probably weigh the goal that she had set. which i did in high school and i was skinny and weak... :wink: not because i was trying to be ... just because i was a kid who wasn't particularly athletic... now I am a dancer and yoga mama and I want to be strong and lean so that i look good performing and can do more demanding moves...
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    No, can't say I've seen it. But it sounds sad.
  • kelgirl66
    kelgirl66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Obviously they aren't true friends if they bring you down instead of up. Dump them and take care of yourself. If you don't no one else will!!!
    Options
    I’m a recovering anorexic and I used this app like all the way through my major weight loss and am still using it now even though I’m eating 2000+ though I was never “pro-ana” about it. I think its only people who are trying to get other people to eat in the same way as them that are. Looking back now I wish I had never ever found My fitness pal bc without it I may have managed to avoid this calorie obsession :( I do think it’s a problem for those who have eating disorders to use stuff like this but for most people its actually just a helpful way of staying healthy. I guess just not everyone can do that.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Loads of pro-ana people have added me before. I usually don't realize it at first. Just some girl looking to lose the last 15 lbs, sees I've been successful, wants motivation blah blah. Then she posts about how she ate an apple and now she feels guilt, or how she had a screaming fight with her mom about eating dinner.

I've also noticed a TON of pro-ana content posted to instagram with the hashtag #myfitnesspal, which frank, sucks. I love looking through that hashtag but don't want to see pro-ana triggers and emaciated models with "Friday inspo #myfitnesspal #ntagatf #proana" ugh
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The last post in this thread was over a year and a half ago.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    The last post in this thread was over a year and a half ago.

I don't see a problem with bumping an old thread when the issue is still prevalent. There is an ongoing discussion about the relationship between disordered eating and healthy eating.

Bumping old threads is only a problem when the question/topic is specific to the original poster, like, "Is my diary okay?" or "Should I leave my boyfriend?"