I don't get it

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Intelligent, opinionated women are either uppity or "intimidating".

I thought about this on my drive tonight as well. I am a scoutmaster for a very large troop of young men aged 11-17. My committee chair is a very intelligent capable woman. She is organized, and direct, and she gets what needs to be done complete for me so I can focus my attention where it needs to be: mentoring the boys and working to help them develop the leadership skills they will need in life. I think she is great. I'm in the minority. Many see her as a b!tch! Why? Because she is a successful woman who doesn't play all the flippity hair games, and won't kowtow to the men just by virtue that they are men. She rocks!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Scratching my head...

So....
    Do you want to know why your friends "dumb down" their Internet posts or...
    Why you're a chameleon?

Why they dumb down.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    ^hahahaha. I think he fears HIMSELF being dumbed down by getting sucked into it. Kind of how when I go to a place with an accent i adopt that accent and when i realize it go "Oh no, i don't want to end up sounding like THOSE people." lol.

That happens to me. You are right in part. I cringe when I hear myself (or see myself) using horrible grammar, or talking like that.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hey, you better not be talking about me now, Lol! actually though I try to relate to other people, even in real life. I don't look down upon people who have less education or make less money than me. I wouldn't want to intimidate or make them feel like i am better than them.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Scratching my head...

So....
    Do you want to know why your friends "dumb down" their Internet posts or...
    Why you're a chameleon?

Why they dumb down.

Well, I guess it all comes down to a matter of integrity.
    Who are you going to be.
    You mentioned forums that move quick and you essentially need to be on your toes to participate.
    At times I find myself not responding until I have formulated an intelligent, cohesive and comprehensive answer.
    And then sometimes I feel like I'm throwing pearls to the swine, so to speak.
    At other times, I'm simple and respond quickly.
    Upon further reflection, for me, I believe the content of the question or comment may dictate the content of my response.
  • chunkadoo
    chunkadoo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this. I'm still relatively young but I'm far beyond the acceptable age that I like to text with.

I think I do it just because it's quick, lighthearted, and still gets the message across. It's just preference.

Also, some shortened/often misspelled and informal messages contain a higher ratio of information than a regular, grammatically correct one!
    "Where are you" vs "where r u" for instance.

:p
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i do this lol... i have A's in school but for some reason.. i just like to type fast n fun... if i wrote the way i do in school its boring.... idk y it matters anyways.... if u dont like it delete them... :)
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting dumbing things down. Writing in a manner people can understand isn't dumbing down. It's the thinking behind the writing and the ideas being expressed that show true intelligence. In our culture, grammar, spelling and the like are too often used to determine one's intelligence. I've known a lot of very intelligent...perhaps more wise than intelligent...people who can't write for crap.

I absolutely believe in excellent writing in formal settings. I never correct grammar in casual settings like this unless it's that of someone who corrects the grammar of others.

Honestly, I'm not seeing a great deal of intelligence being exuded in this thread. Are you all giving examples of the OP's point in your posts?
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I understand dumbing things down for the masses. In my job, I have to hand over anything I write to a support assistant who has the luxury of turning what I write into drivel that can be read at a 4th grade level. That frustrates me, but I understand being able to reach the lowest common denominator. Why in my inbox with PMs though?

At my job, every time I write a new training or revise an old, sh*tty one that was written by a sloth with a leaky pen, my boss calls me and says "This is a great training, but your writing is too educated for our audience. Can you bring it down to their level?"

I'm always tempted to ask, "What level is that, you condescending *kitten*?"

It's actually a rule of thumb that if you're writing for public consumption, you are supposed to write as if they all have the comprehension level of 12 year olds. I've always hated that. Idiocy begets idiocy.
  • confab151
    confab151 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Idiocy begets Idiocy, true, but sometimes it's just for fun.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Hey, you better not be talking about me now, Lol! actually though I try to relate to other people, even in real life. I don't look down upon people who have less education or make less money than me. I wouldn't want to intimidate or make them feel like i am better than them.

I just want to gently point out that this approach is pretty condescending. If you don't "look down" on people with less education or less money, why do you think you intimidate them by just being yourself and speaking how you speak? Why are you assuming that you're operating on a different level because you have education or money?
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I come here for dumb.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I lot of dumb people pretend to be smart people acting like dumb people to conceal their actual dumbness.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I lot of dumb people pretend to be smart people acting like dumb people to conceal their actual dumbness.

That's me in a nutshell.
  • Jeepgal2012
    Options
    What's wrong with being dumb, ffs?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I'm not suggesting dumbing things down. Writing in a manner people can understand isn't dumbing down. It's the thinking behind the writing and the ideas being expressed that show true intelligence. In our culture, grammar, spelling and the like are too often used to determine one's intelligence. I've known a lot of very intelligent...perhaps more wise than intelligent...people who can't write for crap.

I absolutely believe in excellent writing in formal settings. I never correct grammar in casual settings like this unless it's that of someone who corrects the grammar of others.

Honestly, I'm not seeing a great deal of intelligence being exuded in this thread. Are you all giving examples of the OP's point in your posts?

I suspect that OP would tell you I am the exact opposite of what he was talking about. Could be wrong, but since he professed his love for me earlier in this thread, I will make an educated guess using my [quite useless] degrees, and say I am right.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Maybe your dangerous mind is too much for this gangsta's paradise.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options
    I understand dumbing things down for the masses. In my job, I have to hand over anything I write to a support assistant who has the luxury of turning what I write into drivel that can be read at a 4th grade level. That frustrates me, but I understand being able to reach the lowest common denominator. Why in my inbox with PMs though?

At my job, every time I write a new training or revise an old, sh*tty one that was written by a sloth with a leaky pen, my boss calls me and says "This is a great training, but your writing is too educated for our audience. Can you bring it down to their level?"

I'm always tempted to ask, "What level is that, you condescending *kitten*?"

It's actually a rule of thumb that if you're writing for public consumption, you are supposed to write as if they all have the comprehension level of 12 year olds. I've always hated that. Idiocy begets idiocy.

The thing is, these are manuals that I write that are to be used by other professionals (colleagues of mine). I always assume that because we all work in the same field and have some experience that we can all understand what's in the manual and explain it to our audiences as we give the training.

But, I probably should learn by now to not assume, eh?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Plz stp using ur MS in Professional Counseling to dumb urself down.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options

Plz stp using ur MS in Professional Counseling to dumb urself down.

I should have gotten an MS in Professional Condescension instead.