Fruit make u fat?

Options
Matilda_Swan
Matilda_Swan Posts: 3,342 Member
I eat a lot of fruit because it is low cal and satisfy my sweet tooth.

Will it make me gain weight?

I don't go over on my cals and I thought natural sugar was better then refined?

I have been loosing weight but very slowly. About half lb a week someone told me it was the fruit sugar slowing me down?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    As long as you are meeting your calorie goal, you're fine. Fruit contains a lot if nutrients, and it is delicious. It is nature's candy!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Anything is excess will make you gain weight, but as stated before, if you are still in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, not gain it. There's too much goodness in fruit to avoid it, unless you are allergic!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days of your diary and I think you are doing fine. Don't worry about the fruit. You could actually eat more food in general, you are leaving a lot of calories behind every day.
  • jaceface87
    jaceface87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    YES. It definitely can. There have been more than one study linking fructose to weight gain. Yet, another example of how all calories are NOT created equal. Fruit is very nutritious, but not for people who want to lose weight. Save the fruit for when you go into maintanence mode. Eat vegetables. They are MORE dense in nutrients than fruit (yes even in vitamin C). Yes, most people prefer the taste of fruit to veggies, but no one ever said looking good and being healthy was a piece of cake. (pun intended) haha. Hope this helps!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Thank goodness! On an average day I eat strawberries oranges blueberries and blackberries tangerines and pears! I weight it all out to the gram and record it! I love it and binge less on bad things!

That's awesome! I've found that it makes me crave things less as well. And all those vitamins and fiber are in the there that you just can't get from candy. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    YES. It definitely can. There have been more than one study linking fructose to weight gain. Yet, another example of how all calories are NOT created equal. Fruit is very nutritious, but not for people who want to lose weight. Save the fruit for when you go into maintanence mode. Eat vegetables. They are MORE dense in nutrients than fruit (yes even in vitamin C). Yes, most people prefer the taste of fruit to veggies, but no one ever said looking good and being healthy was a piece of cake. (pun intended) haha. Hope this helps!

I'd like to see a study where the diet was controlled such that subjects were in a calorie deficit yet gained weight because they ate too much fruit.............................

Oh wait.

There aren't any.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    fruits are high in sugar.....I wouldn't eat too much.
    Eat more veggies....

I try to limit my fruit intake cause it makes me bust my sugar all the time.

I try to eat bananas cause it's so so full of so many good things but I don't eat fruits that contain more sugar than any other things.

Yes, fructose can make you bigger...it's still sugar.
    Is it healthier than eating glucose sugar from cookies...damn right lol...but just moderate yourself a bit :)
    That's my advice :)

Take care
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fruit in it's natural form is great for you and won't make you gain weight unless you are over eating it, much like anything. Fructose is only a weight gainer when you remove it from it's natural state ( ie juice) when fructose is extracted from it's whole food state the body turns it straight to sugar. So keep eating fruit but stay away from fruit juice and processed foods containing fructose.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I know but I am not hungry for them:( my dinners are huge I make something with ALOT of veggies I mean if you saw my dinner plate you would not know I was dieting!!!!

And then I am not hungry, trust me I am not trying to make a huge defecit I am happy with one quarter to a half lb a week!

I'm not a big fan of eating just because you have calories left that you can eat. If you're not hungry don't worry about it. Why do people constantly keep telling others they need to eat more when they say they're eating plenty to stay full?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If you eat just fruit and only fruit you'd have a hard time keeping a lot of fat on your body. So this.
    As long as you are meeting your calorie goal, you're fine. Fruit contains a lot if nutrients, and it is delicious. It is nature's candy!
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus more on hitting your macros and not going over... your diary is a mess... you eat a lot of processed foods that are high in sodium, too much fruit isn't good for you, its not going to kill you but if you are serious about losing weight everything in moderation. I recommend no more then 2 servings of fruit a day.... for one they are high in carbs and sugar. High sodium can make you gain 2-5 lbs on any given day... of course that is water retention but i bet you would lose a lot of weight if you focused on keeping sodium low and lowered your carbs which means cutting out some of that fruit.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

I know but I am not hungry for them:( my dinners are huge I make something with ALOT of veggies I mean if you saw my dinner plate you would not know I was dieting!!!!

And then I am not hungry, trust me I am not trying to make a huge defecit I am happy with one quarter to a half lb a week!

I'm not a big fan of eating just because you have calories left that you can eat. If you're not hungry don't worry about it. Why do people constantly keep telling others they need to eat more when they say they're eating plenty to stay full?

Why? Because most of the people on MFP have been dieting for so long they shouldn't trust their hunger signals. Do a search for the many threads that are "I can't eat 1200 a day because I am too full". (I am not saying the OP does that, I'm speaking in general) Do we really feel that logically it should be that difficult for a grown person to consume 1200 per day?

Until your metabolism works properly and one is capable of eating "intuitively" (most of us aren't), we log our food and count our calories. When we are trying to get healthy, under eating can be just as detrimental as over eating. Why do you think chronic dieters have trouble meeting a calorie goal of 1200, which is too low for most people? Did I answer your question?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You will not gain fat in a caloric deficit.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    ... I don't go over on my cals ...

then, no.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Well, I eat at least 4 fruits a day and it didn't affect either my weight loss, hitting my goal, or staying in maintenance. Just today I've had an apple, fresh coconut, strawberries, blueberries, and a banana.