Cleanse - why you are lucky they don't work

Options

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

Science can prove cleanses work but it's not in the best interest of the drug corporations so I don't know who is going to pay for it.

How can you possibly say that?

It's like me saying that science can prove that sticking my finger in my ear can cure indigestion, not that it's been done yet.

For cleanses we can test vitamin and mineral levels and adjust the cleanse according to that. Get enough people involved with health issues and it can be proved. Sort of like Gerson therapy for tuberculosis. Now sticking your finger in your ear might be hard to measure anything. Maybe the level of pain?

You missed my point. Or, is your point that they have not been tested due to some kind of conspiracy?
    well if you are talking about testing them like drugs its not going to work. You need the full spectrum of nutrients not just an isolated one.

But you said science can prove it...how would it prove it?

I would get all the diseased individuals I could that can't be cured by conventional medicine that has to do with food choices (crohn's disease, irritable bowel, celiac, etc.), have them run blood tests measuring vitamins and minerals and whatever else seems appropriate. I'd have them do a cleanse based on the tests and test again at the end. Simplified version.

What would this cleanse entail?

fruits and vegetables especially garlic
    high quality meats in moderation especially liver and kidneys
    Vitamins and minerals
    grapefruit seed extract
    flax seed meal or oil
    probiotics like kimchi
    seaweed like kelp or nori
    algae
    not sure what else
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Science can prove cleanses work but it's not in the best interest of the drug corporations so I don't know who is going to pay for it.

How can you possibly say that?

It's like me saying that science can prove that sticking my finger in my ear can cure indigestion, not that it's been done yet.

For cleanses we can test vitamin and mineral levels and adjust the cleanse according to that. Get enough people involved with health issues and it can be proved. Sort of like Gerson therapy for tuberculosis. Now sticking your finger in your ear might be hard to measure anything. Maybe the level of pain?

You missed my point. Or, is your point that they have not been tested due to some kind of conspiracy?
    well if you are talking about testing them like drugs its not going to work. You need the full spectrum of nutrients not just an isolated one.

But you said science can prove it...how would it prove it?

I would get all the diseased individuals I could that can't be cured by conventional medicine that has to do with food choices (crohn's disease, irritable bowel, celiac, etc.), have them run blood tests measuring vitamins and minerals and whatever else seems appropriate. I'd have them do a cleanse based on the tests and test again at the end. Simplified version.

What would this cleanse entail?

fruits and vegetables especially garlic
    high quality meats in moderation especially liver
    Vitamins and minerals
    grapefruit seed extract
    flax seed meal or oil
    probiotics like kimchi
    some other stuff

So, just to be clear - a cleanse to you is eating whole foods that are nutrient dense and include a mix of proteins, carbs and fats? And some other stuff. And is only relevant for people with diseases?
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    So, just to be clear - a cleanse to you is eating whole foods that are nutrient dense and include a mix of proteins, carbs and fats?
    yes

And some other stuff. And is only relevant for people with diseases?
    It's relevant to anyone looking for great health, but especially for those with medical issues.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Passes by whistling*******
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    What did we learn today?

Cleanses don't work, UNLESS you change the definition to "healthy diet". Then they're good for you.

FASCINATING!
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    What did we learn today?

Cleanses don't work, UNLESS you change the definition to "healthy diet". Then they're good for you.

FASCINATING!

A fruit and vegetable cleanse with no extra protein or fat will work but you may lose some muscle mass. And that's the opposite of what most healthy people should want.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So, just to be clear - a cleanse to you is eating whole foods that are nutrient dense and include a mix of proteins, carbs and fats?
    yes

It's relevant to anyone looking for great health, but especially for those with medical issues.

Well, to most that isn't a cleanse, just eating (perhaps clean). But even if it is a bit of moving the goal posts, I would agree that a) certains foods and drugs positively impact the liver b) others do not. If a cleanse for you is a diet that focuses on that, you've got no argument from me. Except, you want variety to assure micronutrient coverage.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Seriously people? Don't you have jobs/lives? What is the benefit of this discussion to the general audience of MFP? For the majority, the fact that cleanses don't work is common knowledge. For a few, the efficacy of cleanses will remain beyond doubt no matter what intricate biochemical evidence from PubMed has emerged and is being quoted. Yet, here we have a six page discussion based on assumptions that (a) arsenic is the target toxin of cleanses and (b) the level of arsenic in livers of those undergoing cleanses is somehow elevated. Why not create a private group for flexing your rhetoric muscles and demonstrating your general sophistication to the like minded few?

Do you just realize that after making this comment about the "people who post here" that you, yourself have posted three times. No job? No life? It sucks you in, doesn't it!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    double post.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    oops. Triple post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    yes

Seems like your definition of a cleanse is different than most people use.

However, eliminating foods that negatively impact people with medical issues is very different than what most people anywhere would think a cleanse would be. That is like saying that eliminating dairy for a lactose intolerant person is a cleanse.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What did we learn today?

FASCINATING!

A fruit and vegetable cleanse with no extra protein or fat will work but you may lose some muscle mass. And that's the opposite of what most healthy people should want.

So, back to a cleanse = a healthy diet.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

OMG, that accent. I had no clue what they were saying. It sounded like they had olives in their mouths and were trying to prevent them from falling out while talking. ((covers ears)).

Other than that, he performed Reiki incorrectly. And the chrystals for the chakras where not the correct ones. An aquamarine is a gemstone, not a chrystal. These dudes are HORRIBLE at understanding holistic therapies.However they were correct that aqua marine is used for the heart and throat. Damn doctors, they don't know about bodies. That man needed tons of drugs so he could die the expensive way.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

OMG, that accent. I had no clue what they were saying. It sounded like they had olives in their mouths and were trying to prevent them from falling out while talking. UGH!

Other than that, he performed Reiki incorrectly. And the chrystals for the chakras where not the correct ones. An aquamarine is a gemstone, not a chrystal. These dudes are HORRIBLE at understanding holistic therapies. Damn doctors, they don't know about bodies. That man needed tons of drugs so he could die the expensive way.

It was a comedy skit...and they are British...they have a British accent.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

OMG, that accent. I had no clue what they were saying. It sounded like they had olives in their mouths and were trying to prevent them from falling out while talking. UGH!

Other than that, he performed Reiki incorrectly. And the chrystals for the chakras where not the correct ones. An aquamarine is a gemstone, not a chrystal. These dudes are HORRIBLE at understanding holistic therapies. Damn doctors, they don't know about bodies. That man needed tons of drugs so he could die the expensive way.

It was a comedy skit...and they are British...they have a British accent.

Yes! I gathered that. I am not used to it. It's hard for me to understand.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    yes

Seems like your definition of a cleanse is different than most people use.

However, eliminating foods that negatively impact people with medical issues is very different than what most people anywhere would think a cleanse would be. That is like saying that eliminating dairy for a lactose intolerant person is a cleanse.
    Not really, dairy would only be one part of a cleanse. You have to look at the whole picture. Basically every food you eat matters whether or not you are on a cleanse.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    What did we learn today?

FASCINATING!

So, back to a cleanse = a healthy diet.
    No, a cleanse is planning out everything you eat and eating only the foods that are most beneficial.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hello, not sure if anyone still looks at this thread, I found it interesting after skimming the random chat lol. Maybe its me but I thought the idea of a cleanser or detox was a couple of days of a clean or pure diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables zero processed foods fresh juices, water and herbal teas no suar and healthy snacks. I totally understand this needs to, or rather a good diet is a life style but people who are just starting sometimes need a push to do so and if a couple of says of a pure diet is going to encourage good diets long term then this is a good thing no? People who opt for laxatives and dangerous diets like the lemonade diet or anything that is obviously dangerous will often be desperate for results (that's not a jab at anyone) deep down I think they know ours not good but are so in need of change they'll try anything. Hopefully what this thread has done, it certainly has for me anyway is backed the importance of a healthy diet lifestyle. I did think that having a few days off allied the body time to get rid of the crap its been fed for the last x days without being given more to deal with hence kick starting the rest of their lives. I think that's the thought behind out anyway. But as said before it needs to be for life and not 30 days