Protein shake~quick survey?

Options
How does everybody have theirs? One scoop or two? Water or milk? Any extra ingredients~oats, fruit, peanut butter etc?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Mine's pretty simple - 1 scoop chocolate whey, banana, strawberry, and some soy milk.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How about eat real food instead?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I change mine up all the time, and don't always have it as a shake. I use either one or two scoops, and either a small amount of coconut milk or water for mine. I've also mixed it with greek yogurt (can't do this often as I don't tolerate dairy well), and at other times, with coffee. Today I had a scoop of whey with a little coconut milk and some blueberries.
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder,half a frozen banana and peach.delish.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to drink protein shakes with milk that was slightly warm, it helps the powder dissolve better imo.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Uh, mine is real food.

When I have one I do:

Powder
    Almond milk
    Spinach
    Unsalted almond butter
    Flaxseed
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options
    How about eat real food instead?

I eat real food too. Lots of it :)
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 cup low fat milk. If I really want to save on calories (or I've run out of milk), I'll have it with water, but thats a bit icky.

I used to make them in the smoothie maker with fruit, maybe some yoghurt, but that was because I didn't like the taste of the last kind I had and needed to improve it. Got a new one which is really yummy on its own, and disolves really easily in the shaker so I usually dont bother with the smoothie maker anymore.

Mockchoc - I eat lots of real food too - chicken, beans, cottage cheese. I find it really hard to meet my protein needs from food alone though as I've never been a huge meat or dairy eater, so whats wrong with adding a shake to top things up?
  • Graham_077
    Graham_077 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mines are pretty simple. 40g whey protein (about a scoop), about 250ml water and some flavour drops. (MYprotien Liquid flavour. Either Strawberry, raspberry, toffee or chocolate) Shake well and drink.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Mostly one scoop, but sometimes two and always with water....very simple
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    I make mine in various ways. My favorite is to use Almond Milk, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and frozen mixed fruit. Sometimes I use Almond Milk, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and frozen dark cherries. At other times, I will mix in some peanut butter and a bit of hershey's cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder in the almond milk. Just depends on my mood as to which ingredients I use.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sorry I do have some here too but it just seems so fake when you can eat real food instead. Anyway yes each to their own but I still think going more natural is better if you can manage it.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 protein powder servings per day in order to meet my high protein macro. I use the New Zealand whey (vanilla) with stevia vs. sucralose and mix one scoop with water and chia seeds (high in fiber and omega 3) and take it post workout. The second scoop I stir in 3/4 cup of plain 0% plain greek yogurt.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Powder. Milk. Raw egg.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sorry I do have some here too but it just seems so fake when you can eat real food instead. Anyway yes each to their own but I still think going more natural is better if you can manage it.

Not quite sure why you are judging the OP's choice - last time I checked every person on MFP had a right to choose what they eat or drink - without judgement from others!!

It is clear you have no idea...... In my diary today (it is open) - you are welcome to try and judge the amount of "real food" I eat....

3 eggs = 240 calories and 21grams of protein
    130grams salmon = 452 calories and 26 grams of protein
    2 protein shakes = 194 calories and 36 grams of protein - YES - 36grams of protein

So - same as the OP I eat massive amounts of "real food" , but as it is a calorie "cheap" way to get extra protein into my diet - and frankly it is a very convenient way to get protein when one is out and about.....

And once again - judging other people's healthy choices in life is not cool
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    And OP to your original question

Most of the time I use one scoop - with water (easy after gym) or if I need a quick snack at work when working late

Sometimes I will add some coconut cream with the water.

If I want to use it as a full meal I will make a green smoothie with:

Green Tea
    Baby Spinach
    Kale
    Carrot
    Cucumber
    Blueberries
    Scoop of Protein Powder

I blend all the veges in my blender - and then add the protein powder at the end
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options

Not quite sure why you are judging the OP's choice - last time I checked every person on MFP had a right to choose what they eat or drink - without judgement from others!!

It is clear you have no idea...... In my diary today (it is open) - you are welcome to try and judge the amount of "real food" I eat....

3 eggs = 240 calories and 21grams of protein
    130grams salmon = 452 calories and 26 grams of protein
    2 protein shakes = 194 calories and 36 grams of protein - YES - 36grams of protein

So - same as the OP I eat massive amounts of "real food" , but as it is a calorie "cheap" way to get extra protein into my diet - and frankly it is a very convenient way to get protein when one is out and about.....

And once again - judging other people's healthy choices in life is not cool

Agreed with all this :)

Thanks everybody who's posted so far, all your shakes sound delicious. I've been trying it with cows milk & soy milk, going to try almond though. Got some frozen blueberries to mix into the white chocolate powder I've ordered too :)
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine only mixed with water or with water and milk. The protein powder I have now is really good tasting though. Another brand I tried was only drinkable when mixed with milk and coffee.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My goal is 150g protein daily, so I do use protein shakes quite a bit (in addition to eggs, meats, fish, cottage cheese, etc..)

Make shakes a bunch of different ways so I don't get bored. post morning workouts, I use whey protein. If I'm drinking a shake in the evening, I often use casein protein to feel satisfied longer.

I've made shakes using many of the ingredients posted above. Here's a couple that I really like that may be a bit different from other flavor combinations you've tried.

Note that they can add up to between 275-400 calories, depending on how much of each ingredient you use (such as almond butter!), so measure carefully and budget that amount into your day. I sometimes use these shakes as a breakfast meal.

#1 Almond/peach shake.

1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    1/2 C almond milk unsweetened
    1T almond butter
    1/2 cup frozen peaches
    1-2 ice cubes

Result is a thick shake that tastes like almonds, with the sweetness supplied by the peaches.

#2 Blue green shake (calling it blue green algae sounds too gross) :)

1C blueberries
    1/2 C baby spinach
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    2T plain greek yogurt
    1 t flax seed
    1t chia seed
    water or almond milk
    1-2 ice cubes

You can add or drop ingredients, ie walnut pieces instead of flax/chia seeds, yogurt/no yogurt etc, depending on taste preference and your protein/calorie/macro goals.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One scoop and so far I like vanilla because I mix with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and then make different drinks from there. I like apples and cinnamon in mine as well as a bit of pumpkin, frozen banana and pumpkin pie spice. I also make what I call a snickers one that I use sugar free pudding mix and some PB2. You can search Pintrest and find all kinds of them and then make whatever adjustments you want. :)