How long until you enjoyed running?

Options

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I don't think I really enjoyed it until my first 5k. I got the fabled "runner's high" at the end of the race. It really got me hooked on running.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I can do 16k+ depending on pace and have been running on and off for maybe 4/5 months.
    Still don't ENJOY it, especially at the pace I'm usually pushed to in the 'medium' group that I run with in the local club.

However, at a slower pace I find I don't dislike it, at least.

It IS cheap and easily accessible exercise, so as with many things; the final goal (being fitter and healthier) is the enjoyment, not necessarily the journey.

If I'm on my own, I tend to push myself too much if anything.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. "Enjoyed" and "running" cannot be in the same sentence.

No, I'm kidding - my husband LOVES running. And I always kind of thought that I would love running, too, but it just never happened. However, I am madly in love with my bicycle. :-)

Also, I love your profile name. I was originally a clarinet performance major in college. Now I have a career not at all related. How does that happen?

Out of all of the clarinet performance majors I know (and I know a lot) one is an actual performing clarinetist and one is an elementary band teacher...it happens a lot. Lol
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started enjoying it when I slowed down to a pace I could keep. When I was going all out I hated it. I'd run at top speed for about a minute and feel like I was going to die. I learned how to slow down, and all of a sudden I can run for a half an hour straight no problem. And every little milestone makes me happy. Also running outside helps, if you're not already. I have a treadmill, but I've only been able to do HIIT on it. I loathe the thing.
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    never
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for years. Still hate it. It's not magical for everyone. Give it a couple more months for your body to adapt to it. If you still can't stand it, run your race and find an activity you like. Exercise should be enjoyable

This! I don't like "running", like at a steady pace, for distance. BUT I've found I do enjoy sprinting a bit!

This too! I love hill sprints.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Trained and ran 2 half marathons and didn't enjoy it much. I agree the first miles are the worst. After 4 miles I would finally hit that groove. I like running with others. I am super social so having others around while running makes it bearable. Currently I am trying to increase my pace to run a 10k. I have fun at the gym doing other activities but run because it is one of the few exercises my husband will do with me.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    The first day I did the C25K (I just started week 3). I love seeing my endurance building.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've been running on and off for about 40 yrs. When I didn't run it was because of my work hours. I can't say I ever enjoyed running, but I love what it does for me, mainly keeps my weight down and enables me to pretty much eat what I want. I do enjoy the feeling I get for the feeling I get for completing a run. The accomplishment.
    I would advise you to maybe run a little slower, although I don't know how slow you run. But run until you feel tired and then walk. Walk until you are not tired and then go back to running. Keep that up for several days and you will find that soon you are running more and walking less!!

Basil
  • rmd_fitness
    rmd_fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I was able to run 6 miles at a comfortable pace. The first 2 to 3 miles are always the hardest.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    couch to 5k is what helped me LOVE running... i thought that you just ran and ran but that's not the case... you actually have to LEARN how to run (first learn how to pace yourself and then build up your speed). the C25K program helped me understand that and when i was able to run the allocated time (it's a run/walk pace), it felt great knowing that i ran for X KMs in the allocated time and i didn't suck! <-- that in itself is what made me love running. if you just lace up and head out there and just run but not really know what you're doing, that's what gets discouraging.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm now finding my pace which means I'm getting more used to running and even miss it when I haven't for a few days. I never thought I could run the 5k under 22 minutes but I'm there now, and it's challenging to make it faster. I bought a Nike+ to keep track and that stimulates a lot. I think you need to have a goal and always try to do better than last time. I could not just run for fun, simply because in my opinion running is not fun. But it is challenging and a great way to keep fit.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so few on this thread say they really enjoy it. I really enjoy it. I like the meditative aspects. I like the freedom of that movement -- bounding along. I like being outside in all kinds of weather, watching stuff pass by. I like finding out what is around the corner. I LOVE the sense of accomplishment and the runner's high when you are finished.
    I think I always liked it. I just didn't like it for very FAR when I started. Maybe just a couple of blocks.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't love the actual act of running. I love the benefits of it. I endure the running.
  • iam1superwomn
    iam1superwomn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would say it took me a few weeks to know that I was addicted. I lost weight so quick when I was running. I also got a high from it. Every week, I would get stronger, faster and be able to go longer. I was up to a 10k within 6 mo and hurt my knee and had to stop. That was really hard for me. Give it some more time. And make sure you aren't pushing too hard too fast. I started out with 1 min jog at 3.9 mph and 3 min walk at 3.1 mph. Then I went to 1 min jog and 2 min walk. And so on. Good luck!!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think one of my problems is that I push myself to go to fast. Wen I started C25K, I was running my intervals at 5.2 mph, but I can't do mor than little bursts at that fast. I have a hard time slowing myself down. I think this is especially true outside. I guess I need to find my pace. I am finding that I'm starting to look forward to my runs though.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    I find it interesting that so few on this thread say they really enjoy it. I really enjoy it. I like the meditative aspects. I like the freedom of that movement -- bounding along. I like being outside in all kinds of weather, watching stuff pass by. I like finding out what is around the corner. I LOVE the sense of accomplishment and the runner's high when you are finished.
    I think I always liked it. I just didn't like it for very FAR when I started. Maybe just a couple of blocks.

Oh, this! So much. I run because, unlike exercise DVDs and classes, it allows me to direct my focus inward and think about stuff. I don't have pay much attention to anything, I can just...go.

I don't care if I ever run fast, or ever run a race. My goal is simply to be able to run for long enough to empty my stupid brain of stress and worry whenever I feel like I need to. I approach running like therapy and I think that's why I've stuck with it.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It took couple of months for me as well...It takes 34 mins for me to run 5K on treadmill, can't run outside due to super humid weather...I love running now..
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I began to enjoy running when i began using it as a metaphor for my life. No run is ever the same: the weather, your mental focus, the road conditions, etc. l learned to like the mental games i had to play with myself to keep me putting one foot in front of the other. Wen i finally did my first road race (Gasparilla Distance Classic 15k in Tampa, FL) and finished with a decent time, i began to love it. I realized how the culmination of all my runs had gotten me to the point that i was physically and mentally able to run 9.3 miles without stopping. It was an amazing moment for me... I was so proud of myself i cried as i ran through the finish line!
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 to 8 times a week, 3 miles minimum for 3+ years. Never liked it. Never got better at it past a point. Was so glad when I'd never be required to do it again.