Cardio > Strength training

Options
1234568»

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Mixing up ">" and "<" is a common error. Don't sweat it.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the best thing is a calorie deficit. To preserve muscle mass in a calorie deficit, strength training is better than cardio.

For physical fitness, I think both cardio and strength training are important. However, if you prefer one over the other in terms of enjoyment than doing just one is a hell of a lot better than doing neither.

You could always just do HIIT/crossfit style training and kill the two birds with one stone, though.

(I just had to throw my $0.02 in the rich fountain this thread has become. :P )
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
    NO, its not!

If your goal is to lose fat.
    Cardio

If your goal is to build muscle
    Strength train

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract

"balancing time commitments against health benefits, it appears that aerobic training is the optimal mode of exercise for reducing fat mass and body mass, while a program including resistance training is needed for increasing lean mass in middle-aged, overweight/obese individuals."

Obviously diet is more important than cardio or strength training for weight loss.

Study was not controlled for calorie consumption.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    Total upfront disclaimer: I only spot read some of the previous posts so I probably missed something somewhere and someone has probably brought this up but...

What about different body types? Wouldn't a person's body type have a lot to do with how their body responds to different types of exercise?

Example: My husband could lift heavy every single day and wouldn't get any bigger/stronger. But cardio gets him lean and mean. I was doing cardio for 30-45 minutes every single day and didn't lose an ounce. However once I started lifting again my body finally started responding. I've lost weight and have increased my lifting weight quite a bit. I lift to lose weight and cardio to get my BP down.

Put it this way... an Ectomorph is going to train differently than a Mesomorph and an Endomorph is going to have to do everything. So what works for one person is going to be an exercise in frustration for another. You first have to know your body type and then try different combinations of exercise and eating to find what works for you. Chances are if you prefer one type of training over another, it's probably because that's what your body loves and responds to. You're doing the right stuff for your body type. On the other hand, if your body isn't responding, it may be time to try something different.

Physical fitness is not a one size fits all. So all of this Cardio vs. Strength debate is kind of a moot point. You do whatever it takes and works for YOU.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Example: My husband could lift heavy every single day and wouldn't get any bigger/stronger.

Totally nonsensical.
    Put it this way... an Ectomorph is going to train differently than a Mesomorph and an Endomorph is going to have to do everything. So what works for one person is going to be an exercise in frustration for another. You first have to know your body type and then try different combinations of exercise and eating to find what works for you. Chances are if you prefer one type of training over another, it's probably because that's what your body loves and responds to. You're doing the right stuff for your body type. On the other hand, if your body isn't responding, it may be time to try something different.

Physical fitness is not a one size fits all. So all of this Cardio vs. Strength debate is kind of a moot point. You do whatever it takes and works for YOU.

Ectomorph/endomorph/mesomorph are complete fabrications, made up by some 1950s psychologist.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Example: My husband could lift heavy every single day and wouldn't get any bigger/stronger.

Totally nonsensical.

He probably wasn't eating enough.

ETA: ..or resting enough!! Every single day? Really!?
    Ectomorph/endomorph/mesomorph are complete fabrications, made up by some 1950s psychologist.

Also, did you know that your intellectual ability and personality are predetermined by the shape of your skull?

AND The lines in your hands determine your fate.

True facts.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I forgot the moral of the story. In addition I need to go back to basic math <>=???? :huh: :yawn:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Mixing up ">" and "<" is a common error. Don't sweat it.

:laugh:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If I did cardio only to burn calories I would look like a stick man at the end :sad:
  • fitbugfreak
    fitbugfreak Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love this
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    484627_644325042259755_27533008_n.jpg
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have an idea. How about everyone stops acting like we are in elementary and just...

tumblr_m2ghwqS1lo1qkiojdo1_500.gif

... do whatever the *** you wanna do.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that Calories Per Minute (CPM) through chocolate consumption far exceed the CPM in most forms of cardiovascular activity.

Therefore: Chocolate > Cardio

Moral of the story: Eat More Chocolate.

:drinker: :love: :tongue:
  • katy_trail
    Options
    "It's true but not to the extent that most people make it out to be. Last I heard I believe something on the order of 6kcals/lb LBM. Considering that it takes a long time to gain say, 15 lbs of muscle, that's a whole 90 kcals added to your TDEE.

That doesn't make it negligible as it certainly adds up, but I think people often over-state it. "- side steel
    ===========================================================================================

does this mean that if i have 150 LBM, 150 x 6 (cals) = 900
    so my muscle is adding 900 cals to my TDEE? or am I reading that wrong?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been covered but I'm not reading 7 pages of replies...

Calorie deficit produces weight loss, with or without cardio. Strength training helps ensure that more of the weight loss is fat and less of it is muscle. Cardio helps increase your cardiovascular fitness.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    "It's true but not to the extent that most people make it out to be. Last I heard I believe something on the order of 6kcals/lb LBM. Considering that it takes a long time to gain say, 15 lbs of muscle, that's a whole 90 kcals added to your TDEE.

That doesn't make it negligible as it certainly adds up, but I think people often over-state it. "- side steel
    ===========================================================================================

does this mean that if i have 150 LBM, 150 x 6 (cals) = 900
    so my muscle is adding 900 cals to my TDEE? or am I reading that wrong?

LBM is non-fat mass, not just muscle. The other thing to remember is that your TDEE includes the calorie burn from muscle, and fat, and everything else. You don't get to tack on more calories.

The distinction ss was making is that all things considered, if two people are exactly identical except the first person has 1 pound of muscle that the second person has as fat, the first person's TDEE will be approximately 4 calories per day* (6-2) higher than the second.

*I don't remember if the figure was per day or per hour.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    ok that makes sense, it would be 900 added to my BMR not TDEE
    what determines if your muscle burns the low or high end of calories?
    just depending on what kind of muscle, where it is, how often it's used?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think it was Lyle that stated it. That figure is basically the upkeep cost of the mass. Fat uses 2 calories per day/hour (again I don't remember the rate unit) and muscle uses 6 just 'being there'. Using it is different, this is just for like transporting the bio-goop the cells need and getting rid of the bio-goop they don't etc etc etc #sciencycrapthatmakesmetwitchysinceIskippedclasstoplaysports
  • katy_trail
    Options

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think it was Lyle that stated it. That figure is basically the upkeep cost of the mass. Fat uses 2 calories per day/hour (again I don't remember the rate unit) and muscle uses 6 just 'being there'. Using it is different, this is just for like transporting the bio-goop the cells need and getting rid of the bio-goop they don't etc etc etc #sciencycrapthatmakesmetwitchysinceIskippedclasstoplaysports

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: