Don't talk or text at the gym on the equipment!!!!

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Complain to the Internet. Good call, this method works for me, too.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    why should this bother you if you cant even hear it with your ear buds in? Focus on what you are doing, not eveyrone else
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Im on my phone because I track my workouts - so you may THINK im texting but im not
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i play with my phone between sets.
    like jac said...lifting heavy allows for that.

OP you must be all business at the gym huh?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Im on my phone because I track my workouts - so you may THINK im texting but im not

^^^This. Plus the elliptical or treadmill is the most boring frucking thing to do in the world, so I need some stimulus so I don't fall asleep and fall off. I'd hate to end up on Youtube.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Anyone else agree? DRIVES ME CRAZY to see people sitting & chatting away WHILE they are on the piece of equipment that I need. UGH!!! When I step in the gym, I am in workout mode. Ear buds go in, music goes up, and I'm ready to get 'er done! WORK OUT or GET OUT people! ~:-P

Step 1: earbuds in
    Step 2: get yucky with some weights
    Step 3: profit

I'm totally with ya, texting doesn't bother me so much - but chatting on the phone - gah
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

^^^This. Plus the elliptical or treadmill is the most boring frucking thing to do in the world, so I need some stimulus so I don't fall asleep and fall off. I'd hate to end up on Youtube.

I always fear someday I will end up on youtube for god knows what, maybe my sweet deadlift day socks or something
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As others have said regarding lifting heavy and breaks between sets...I use my phone then.

It probably looks like I'm checking my messages all the time haha but it's mainly to note my weight/reps. If I get a text (my phone'll be on silent so it never distracts me mid-set) I'll probably reply to it then too, unless it's meaningless chat that would involve texting back and forth - that can wait until I'm done!

I wouldn't want to use it on cardio equipment, but then, some people just do kinda slow steady state cardio. I don't blame them for wanting to use their phone in that situation - I'd be bored out my mind! :laugh:
  • ChantiC
    ChantiC Posts: 137
    Options
    I use my phone to listen to music, so i possibly look like im playing on my phone but i'm generally skipping tracks.

Same :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I do all of my workout logging on my phone when I'm lifting, I'm fairly certain that while I'm resting between sets and I'm updating my workout people think I'm f-ing around on my phone. I judged other people hanging out on the equipment texting on their phones until I started seriously lifting and using my phone to log, now I don't know what they're doing on their phone so it's no sweat off my back.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people do?
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love when people tell me what I can or cannot do. I text on the phone if on cardio equipment like the stairmaster. NO big deal to you is it? I use workout apps on my phone that are synced to my heart rate chest strap, this should not bother anyone. I do not use my phone in a way that keeps people waiting on me, that is wrong and I will agree with the OP on that point. :) I don't talk on the phone because I'm usually breathing too hard to hold a conversation.

I just dislike these stupid threads, mind your own business. If it's a problem because you have to wait longer for equipment then go complain to your gym manager. I also dislike these threads because the assumptions that people don't work as hard as you. I work my *kitten* off and burn about 7000-8000 calories each and every week, no exceptions. I work hard and a high heart rate doing it, so please stop with the assumptions.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i-do-what-i-want.jpeg
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    If you're ready to just get your workout on, the do it. Ignore the other people. You'll be happier if don't let it get to you.

I also flip through music on my phone or check messages or record my reps between weight sets. Don't really see how it's bothering others.

If someone is being unsafe or monopolizing a piece of equipment you need, talk to the gym staff.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Anyone else agree? DRIVES ME CRAZY to see people sitting & chatting away WHILE they are on the piece of equipment that I need. UGH!!! When I step in the gym, I am in workout mode. Ear buds go in, music goes up, and I'm ready to get 'er done! WORK OUT or GET OUT people! ~:-P

Step 1: earbuds in
    Step 2: get yucky with some weights
    Step 3: profit

I'm totally with ya, texting doesn't bother me so much - but chatting on the phone - gah

Do two friends talking to each other bug you also? You have your earbuds in, right?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a serious lifting app and you'll stop complaining about people in the gym who know they have to take a break between sets and use their phones to keep the mind occupied for that whole 90 to 120 seconds.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I track my work out in my phone.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    fougamou - my point is that they ARE sitting on the equipment talking or texting. NOT working out. I will need to finish a set on something and they jump on & sit there.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Guess I was not clear enough for everyone. I could care less if someone is talking or texting or whatever while they are working out. It is when they are SITTING/NOT WORKING OUT on the equipment that I need to use and they are talking or texting. Make sense now???? If you go to the gym, surely this would bother you as well?!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Guess I was not clear enough for everyone. I could care less if someone is talking or texting or whatever while they are working out. It is when they are SITTING/NOT WORKING OUT on the equipment that I need to use and they are talking or texting. Make sense now???? If you go to the gym, surely this would bother you as well?!

What about when I take pictures of myself working out.

I bet that puts your bee in a bonnet . . .