Don't talk or text at the gym on the equipment!!!!

Options

Replies

• terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I listen to Pandora or watch something on Netflix while working out. Sometimes I will have a call come in and since usually it is my hubby and he has 2 of the 3 kids at home while I am working out with the other kid, I WILL take it. I won't stay on forever (cause I am huffing and puffing), but I could care less if anyone has an issue with me being on the phone. I will text, too.

I bring my ipad and watch tv shows on Cokeandpopcorn.me lol I do text as well but hardly ever use the phone to have a conversation, in or out of the gym.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    UGH!
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    I text in between sets or use my email to track my #s/reps.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    People have OFFICIALLY taken my original thought & skewered it to their own needs & wants. Only a few of you readers understood what I was talking about . The rest are just ranting. :-P
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My phone never goes into the gym with me. I'd just get it all sweaty and am always far too out of breath to talk or have hands so shaky they wouldn't be able to text anyway!
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do what I want! I however do pay attention if anyone is waiting for the machine i'm using and if I have been using the for a while I do offer them the machine. I'm nice I know :'-)
  • pbamerson
    pbamerson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am typing this while on the squat rack.

There's about 3 people behind me waiting for it.

Too bad. The early bird gets the worm.

BWAHAHAHA!!! Happy Squating! lol
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    with so many phone apps to log & track workouts, smartphones to get music, etc why assume anything??

Im enough of an azzjerk to make an unneccessary phone call just to piss you off... will teach you to mind your business

THIS ^^^
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Actually, in my opinion, if you're there and in the zone and ready to work out you should focus on yourself and not what other people are doing. If a machine you want is taken, find something else to do until that machine becomes available. It's very simple. In life, there's no point in getting worked up over something over which you have no control..

Defne "taken".

Taken and in use, or taken as a chair, table, or something to lean against?

Taken in general. It does, admittedly, sometimes irritate me when people just sit on a machine with no intent to actually use it.

That's poor gym ettiquette and against most facility guidelines. I have a set time that I can get my workout in. If someone isn't actually "using" a machine that I'd like to use, I'll ask how many sets they have left.

I guess it bothers some more than others. For me, I let it roll and continue on with my day. Others are more forceful and will approach the person that's not using the equipment. It's all a matter of personality, I suppose. I also tend to go to the gym and allow myself plenty more time than is needed for my actual workout, so I have the luxury of waiting, while others might not. I can see both sides.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    People have OFFICIALLY taken my original thought & skewered it to their own needs & wants. Only a few of you readers understood what I was talking about . The rest are just ranting. :-P

1st day in the forums here? :smile:

It's starting to bring the LULZ
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Full on phone calls sure, not a place for them. However I log my sets, weight and reps as I'm done with an exercise so I could less if it annoys someone.

Same here...you may see me on my phone but what you don't know is I'm logging my sets or seeing what's coming up next once I'm done with whatever machine I'm on. Or I'm posting here saying something along the lines of I just upped my weights-yay me! :blushing:
  • iamluce
    iamluce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    FUN FACT!!!!!!!
    OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR THE GYM THE SAME WAY AS YOU DO!!!! AND THEY'RE ALLOWED TO USE IT!!!!! AND THEY'RE ALLOWED TO DO WHATEVER THE **** THEY DO WHILE THEY USE IT!!!!!!!!!!! AND THAT INCLUDES USING THEIR PHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no one sits on the machines without using them just to chat or text, and if they do, it's probably between reps when they're catching their breath

if im on the bikes/elliptical/treadmill, i am almost always reading on my phone. if i'm on the strength machines where i can't focus on reading because it requires more effort, i text sporadically and scroll down tumblr or pinterest or some other website WHILE IM USING THE MACHINES.

if you don't like it, TOO BAD FOR YOU
    but people can do whatever they want
  • RGv2
    Options
    FUN FACT!!!!!!!
    OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR THE GYM THE SAME WAY AS YOU DO!!!! AND THEY'RE ALLOWED TO USE IT!!!!! AND THEY'RE ALLOWED TO DO WHATEVER THE **** THEY DO WHILE THEY USE IT!!!!!!!!!!! AND THAT INCLUDES USING THEIR PHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no one sits on the machines without using them just to chat or text, and if they do, it's probably between reps when they're catching their breath

if im on the bikes/elliptical/treadmill, i am almost always reading on my phone. if i'm on the strength machines where i can't focus on reading because it requires more effort, i text sporadically and scroll down tumblr or pinterest or some other website WHILE IM USING THE MACHINES.

if you don't like it, TOO BAD FOR YOU
    but people can do whatever they want

Actually, you can't use it however you want. Most facilities have guidelines. We have a nice big sign to let people know the correct use of equipment.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do it when I am doing my cardio..

Also, I do it when the gym isn't super busy- I mostly use free weights anyways so I am not tying up a machine:wink:
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Why do you care as long as 1. the individual is using the equipment (ie not sitting on it talking) 2. not having an obnoxiously loud conversation.

Agreed!
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You hate people who talk and text? I hate people who are too busy nosing at what I'm doing instead of concentrating on themselves!!!

well said, might i just say i agree times a billion or two!
  • RGv2
    Options
    Why do you care as long as 1. the individual is using the equipment (ie not sitting on it talking) 2. not having an obnoxiously loud conversation.

Agreed!

Way to read the OP. The whole point was people just sitting on the equipment...not using it.
  • RGv2
    Options
    You hate people who talk and text? I hate people who are too busy nosing at what I'm doing instead of concentrating on themselves!!!

well said, might i just say i agree times a billion or two!

Way to read the OP. The whole point was people just sitting on the equipment...not using it.
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the type of ppl that chat more at a gym then actually lifting weights or doing cardio. These ppl won't even break a sweat and then pat themselves on the back with how hard they "pushed themselves". I think a bigger pet peeve for me is when members won't rack their weights. It's especially frustrating for people like my mom who is older and have to take off 4 plates of 45 lbs on each side of a bar just to use it.