Don't talk or text at the gym on the equipment!!!!

Options

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Same!
    Full on phone calls sure, not a place for them. However I log my sets, weight and reps as I'm done with an exercise so I could less if it annoys someone.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If your rest period is five minutes long, why not move aside and let a person quickly get a set done between yours? I can knock out my 8 reps and clean the seat before you're even ready to begin again. Just a thought. I alternate my sets between exercises, so I can go off and do something else while waiting for your next break to do my next set. Time management!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Same!
    Full on phone calls sure, not a place for them. However I log my sets, weight and reps as I'm done with an exercise so I could less if it annoys someone.

Still not relevant to the OP, but whatever....let's have some fun.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Anyone else agree? DRIVES ME CRAZY to see people sitting & chatting away WHILE they are on the piece of equipment that I need. UGH!!! When I step in the gym, I am in workout mode. Ear buds go in, music goes up, and I'm ready to get 'er done! WORK OUT or GET OUT people! ~:-P

That's funny, because people who have ear buds in and are playing music drive me crazy :bigsmile:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If your rest period is five minutes long, why not move aside and let a person quickly get a set done between yours? I can knock out my 8 reps and clean the seat before you're even ready to begin again. Just a thought. I alternate my sets between exercises, so I can go off and do something else while waiting for your next break to do my next set. Time management!

Are you going to deload the 400lbs of plates on the bar to work in, or do you expect me to do that for you, and then reload them for myself when you are done? I don't have a problem with people wanting to work in, but they need to be doing something similar to me, not resetting the entire configuration because they are a foot shorter than me or having to unload a bunch of weights so they can do their squat set with 95lbs. (not slamming the weight used, but when there is a huge difference in the weight being used, or if there is a big height difference that requires the bar to be totally unloaded so the liftoffs can be moved down, it's probably best to not try and work in)
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just love to sit back and watch the group think ebb and flow in this type of post.
    Jeez. Way to skewer someone for expressing an opinion.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I just love to sit back and watch the group think ebb and flow in this type of post.
    Jeez. Way to skewer someone for expressing an opinion.

Or completely twist said opinion in order to skewer said poster. Yep, good times.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Same!

Are you bored or something looking for senseless arguments? It is relevant as OP chimed back in later on about people texting etc. Stop paying attention to what everyone else does and just do your thing. If you must wait for a piece of equipment, heaven forbid and move on to something else and come back to it later! Is there a rule that you must do the exact thing I'm doing right this second? Get over yourself.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hfester - Glad you see that my topic was skewered!! Good to see a few readers on here. It was a simple topic and people butchered it to death by not understanding the true meaning. Grrrr
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Anyone else agree? DRIVES ME CRAZY to see people sitting & chatting away WHILE they are on the piece of equipment that I need. UGH!!! When I step in the gym, I am in workout mode. Ear buds go in, music goes up, and I'm ready to get 'er done! WORK OUT or GET OUT people! ~:-P

I always use my phone whilst on machines.

I pay for my membership just like you do, therefore I can use the machines in any way I wish to. If I'm walking on a treadmill and using my phone to text or I'm running on the treadmill and talking to someone, I will do it. And in fact, if I see someone waiting impatiently next to a machine and huffing and puffing away whilst looking angry, I will stay on the machine for longer than I planned to, and walk really slowly just to piss them off.

Happy gyming :)
  • RGv2
    Options
    Same!

Are you bored or something looking for senseless arguments? It is relevant as OP chimed back in later on about people texting etc. Stop paying attention to what everyone else does and just do your thing. If you must wait for a piece of equipment, heaven forbid and move on to something else and come back to it later! Is there a rule that you must do the exact thing I'm doing right this second? Get over yourself.

The OP isn' talking about working out and using your phone....it's using the equipment as a chair or crutch and going to town (not using the equipment at all) and using your phone. Work on some reading comprehension...oh, and get over yourself. Happy workout.
  • RGv2
    Options

I always use my phone whilst on machines.

I pay for my membership just like you do, therefore I can use the machines in any way I wish to. If I'm walking on a treadmill and using my phone to text or I'm running on the treadmill and talking to someone, I will do it. And in fact, if I see someone waiting impatiently next to a machine and huffing and puffing away whilst looking angry, I will stay on the machine for longer than I planned to, and walk really slowly just to piss them off.

Happy gyming :)

Anyways, the OP isn't talking about working out and using your phone. It's sitting on the machine, leaning on the machine, etc...not using it and using your phone. Which in most facilites is againt facility rules (no matter how much you pay).
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Actually, in my opinion, if you're there and in the zone and ready to work out you should focus on yourself and not what other people are doing. If a machine you want is taken, find something else to do until that machine becomes available. It's very simple. In life, there's no point in getting worked up over something over which you have no control..
  • RGv2
    Options
    Actually, in my opinion, if you're there and in the zone and ready to work out you should focus on yourself and not what other people are doing. If a machine you want is taken, find something else to do until that machine becomes available. It's very simple. In life, there's no point in getting worked up over something over which you have no control..

Defne "taken".

Taken and in use, or taken as a chair, table, or something to lean against?
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Actually my trainer texted ME while I was running on the treadmill....wanted to know what HR Zone I was in. Then proceeded to scold me for being in a Zone too high.

Technology...makes it easier for my trainer to keep tabs on me....not sure how I feel about it yet..
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    you would hate me, I text in between sets but only for my required rest time. Sorry it is the only time of day I have for me, no kids (6 kids) pulling on me, no life demands, it is MY time!!!! I don't hog weights but I don't do machines all free weights.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Defne "taken".

Taken in general. It does, admittedly, sometimes irritate me when people just sit on a machine with no intent to actually use it. Regardless, I walk away, do a few sets of weights and come back when the machine is available.

What bothers me is when I have my kindle fire out and happen to be done on my treadmill and take two minutes to let my legs turn back into legs instead of jelly, and people give me a firey glare for not immediately hopping off the machine and collapsing. People are too quick to assume.
  • RGv2
    Options
    you would hate me, I text in between sets but only for my required rest time. Sorry it is the only time of day I have for me, no kids (6 kids) pulling on me, no life demands, it is MY time!!!! I don't hog weights but I don't do machines all free weights.

Still different.
  • RGv2
    Options

Defne "taken".

Taken in general. It does, admittedly, sometimes irritate me when people just sit on a machine with no intent to actually use it.

That's poor gym ettiquette and against most facility guidelines. I have a set time that I can get my workout in. If someone isn't actually "using" a machine that I'd like to use, I'll ask how many sets they have left.
  • katestonich
    Options
    You read my mind - this is one of my biggest pet peeves!