calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I usually refer to myself as biracial or mixed, and in certain circumstances I've said I was black because my "blackness" was relevant or questioned. I'd say that most people I've met consider me black/would call me black. Many of my family members are mixed and are lighter than I am and I think they identify as black.

Gee, when you write/say the word black so many times it starts getting a little weird, lol. Black, black, black. I love black people. Black is not wack.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have black in me....but not in my DNA.
    You got a problem with that.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options

How do mixed people feel about the one drop rule? and by mixed I mostly mean with some sort of African decent
    Do you consider yourself black, white mixed?

Being mixed what are you more attracted too? and what/who is attracted to you?

I think the one drop rule was used to justify slaves as property, but it still exists today. Its unfortunate, but I don't let it bother me. I'm more concerned with people's ignorance concerning mixed races. All the good hair/bad hair and lighter is better and somehow people think people with darker complexions aren't mixed.

I consider myself American but apparently thats not an option so I just say I'm black. My father is creole and my mom is black and native american, what tribe? idk because I was raised by my dad and she wasn't around often.
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This thread made my head hurt....

Yours truly,
    "Mixed" person
  • jennahbooboo
    Options
    I'm mixed with black and white (to simplify it) and I identify with being "mixed". I don't like saying I'm either/or because I'm not completely one or the other. The "one-drop rule" is completely outdated.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My son asked me, mommy you are black and daddy is white. What am I? I said you are perfect because you are both black and white and wonderful. My kids are my kids and I really hope they don't spend time worrying about what they are. Because no one who knows or love them does.

THIS!!! :smile:

P.S. I'm white and my husband is 1/2 American Indian and 1/2 White. Apparently I like men who are darker than white, but not quite black. He does however, have a lot of qualities that black men have ;-) :laugh:
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm a right mix of all sorts and find it hilarious when people try to guess my ethnicity but also kinda annoying. I'm British, was born here and ok I have bit of colour but when people go on and on it gets tiring. I am not attracted to anyone because of their colour, I'm usually attracted to their personalities :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How the hell did this thread NOT get locked?

LOL! Posting for posterity.

Let's see if it can survive it's resurrection.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Well damn, you mean I'm supposed to look at the color of someone's skin or check their ethnicity card before I get to know them and go out with them!? I've been doing it all wrong then....

Sarcasm aside, the "one-drop" rule is way outdated (thankfully). If I was supposed to only date within my ethnicity I would have a problem with that, I am part Cherokee Indian, Aftrican American, Scottish, French, Brittish, and part Irish.... Which part am I "supposed" to lean towards?? I tend to lean towards a personality type.... Ok, yea, and a body type as well... but it has never been about the color of a mans skin or what his ethnic background is. If the spark is there, it's there!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    How the hell did this thread NOT get locked?

LOL! Posting for posterity.

Let's see if it can survive it's resurrection.

^this. I saw this on the list, knew instantly what it was about, and was like O_o how did that get so many posts? :ohwell:
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Are zombies mixed? Does race count when you're of the undead persuasion?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is this a thread from 1855?
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Have you ever met anyone who doesn't claim to be 1/8 Cherokee?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

And for most people, it's more like 1/64. LOL!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm 0/0 Cherokee. I'm 1/4 Italian, though. And I'm not Irish, even though everyone thinks I am when they meet me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Shaq-really-loves-popcorn_c_91136.jpg

^^^ :smokin:
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed with French and Spanish ancestry. The French part annoys me. I blame it for my cheese addiction.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The only mix I know involves alcohol..............
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I'm 0/0 Cherokee. I'm 1/4 Italian, though. And I'm not Irish, even though everyone thinks I am when they meet me.

Ha Ha ^^THIS! I'm Irish and German...but my husband is Native American...