do I have the right to be irritated?

Options
124»

Replies

• Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh, Ian says you don't have the right to be irritated. Are you going to just sit there and take that?

*popcorn*

hahahahaha, I guess so, that's what happens when you ask random people for their insight. although in my defense I am mostly pretty easy going.....don't know why this particular thing bugged me so much this morning
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha, I guess so, that's what happens when you ask random people for their insight. although in my defense I am mostly pretty easy going.....don't know why this particular thing bugged me so much this morning
    We all get a wild hair sometimes. I found this thread to be pretty entertaining, so hey, something good came out of it (at least for me). :)

And if he does it again, just deadpan, "Your wife must be one tough babe." He'll spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what you meant by THAT. ;)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    We all get a wild hair sometimes. I found this thread to be pretty entertaining, so hey, something good came out of it (at least for me). :)

And if he does it again, just deadpan, "Your wife must be one tough babe." He'll spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what you meant by THAT. ;)

Agreed. Amuse yourself by messing with him :wink:
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh, Ian says you don't have the right to be irritated. Are you going to just sit there and take that?

*popcorn*

IS this movie popcorn loaded with lots of butter or air popped? The kind depends on how long I will sit and watch :P
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I think he spent the better part of a day quietly plotting the perfect comment that would derail all your efforts and send you into a shame spiral.

OR he just thought that was a cool exercise you were doing, like he said.

Nah it was definitely the first.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i do think he was trying to insult you, but i also think you should have brushed it off seconds after he said it, why do you care what he thinks?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    okay, so basically it's like this. I am at the gym this morning doing my workout, at one point I am doing some step ups onto a bench that is about 30 inches high, with 3 lengths of chain across my shoulders for weight. there is a guy at one of the power racks beside me doing DL's at 225, which I can do no problem. I have head phones in but nevertheless, this guy starts talkking to me. the first thing he says is " that looks like a good exercise for my wife to do......she sits a a desk all day" WTF!!! I am in the gym sweating myself into a puddle trying to do a hard workout, and at the end of a set of 25 per side weighted step ups, this dude basically says hey that looks so easy my completely unfit wife could do it (paraphrasing obviously, but that is the gist the way i heard it) I am doing the step ups as part of a pretty intense routine, and the chains weigh nearly 50 lbs. I go hard enough that i get a stitch in my side while doing the exercise, so my question is this: do you think the guy meant it the way i perceived it? and would something like that irritate you, or am I just an insecure %$#@% with a tendency to over react. Remember, I was wearing headphones when he came over, so he should know already that I am not up for chit chat......thats just standard gym etiquette.
    Sure, it may have been meant as an insult. So what? You were working hard. Focus on that, move on.

The same thing that motivated him to say what he did to you might just be the same thing that motivated you to let us know you could do the DLs he was doing, no problem.
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well I think you have the right to be irritated, pissed off, happy, sad, whatever. But I agree with Eric. Move on like it never happened. By holding onto it you just give the guy power over you.

I am done with it now, but it bugged me for quite a few minutes afterwards, I did put that negative energy back into my workout, and am hella sore now. just wondered what my fellow MFP'ers thought about it. I am just a little over conscious of other people at the gym right now, because I just started working out again recently after a long time off

I probably too would've asked him what he meant....I agree with the others, it probably didn't come out right and he meant something else entirely. Glad you are better with it now. :D but yeah, shrug it off..
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Soooo yeah, feel however you feel. No one can tell you that your internal responses are invalid or wrong; I guess they can, but it's not as if their opinions necessarily count for anything. It's how you react to them that matters. You've clearly taken an introspective and thought out approach, which sounds healthy.

It also sounds like you know you had some insecurities about heading back to the gym generally, so that comment hit you the wrong way at the time. It happens.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I didn't read a single reply. Just the first post. And holy crap, this is a classic case of a woman spinning something to hear only what she wants to hear. Congrats.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I didn't read a single reply. Just the first post. And holy crap, this is a classic case of a woman spinning something to hear only what she wants to hear. Congrats.

??Are you saying the OP is a woman??
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Break up with him.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

I hope so. If not, then it's even worse.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I hope so. If not, then it's even worse.

Well, you would need to check with the OP for the authenticity of the profile info, but tysonsproul claims to be male
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I doubt he meant it to insult you. I think he meant that his wife would benefit from a workout like yours because she has to sit at a desk all day and most likely feels strain in the muscle groups you are targeting.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me lmao! I am a random talk to strangers kinda girl. I was talking to my husband just this weekend about how some people get SO thrown off by me randomly engaging them at the grocery store or whatever yet some people just go with it and conversation flows easily. OP, you don't sound like the type who enjoys random chit chat from strangers. I think he was simply saying what you were doing looked like a great exercise and his wife could benefit from it. He was likely complimenting you.