Anyone NOT like the New Rules of Lifting for Women?

Options

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, im curious what the "for women" part of the program is.
    i personally can't see why weightlifting should be handled differently for men and women. so why choose it over one of the old and proven "unisex" programs like stronglifts and starting strength? i don't want to read the whole thing just to find that out.

Exactly . The author tells me how I think differently than a man or how I probably underestimate my strength or the differences between men and women physiologically throughout. This annoys me. If there are still women who want to lift heavy and at the same time don't want big muscles, it explains stuff to them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    i personally can't see why weightlifting should be handled differently for men and women. so why choose it over one of the old and proven "unisex" programs like stronglifts and starting strength? i don't want to read the whole thing just to find that out.

It's not different from a men's program. It's just written as an introduction to women. And uses photos of women. And talks about specific types of questions or concerns that women may have. As others said, I found some of that annoying.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did not love every single exercise, but I did like that they changed regularly and I *really* loved the way my body changed!
    ^^what she said. I'm just finishing the last stage (stage 7) which has taken me over 6 months. Some stages were better than others...sometimes I liked all the variety and sometimes it seemed way to complicated. But I'm glad I did it.

And I was injury-free until stage 6 (reverse pull up) and totally effed up my elbow....still waiting on that to heal...
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

It's not different from a men's program. It's just written as an introduction to women. And uses photos of women. And talks about specific types of questions or concerns that women may have. As others said, I found some of that annoying.

So glad to gear someone else use the word annoying:)
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I loved it. It seriously changed my life and body. I cannot say enough amazing things about this program. It opened me to strength training. Never felt better. I finished it in January and had incredible results.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Exactly . The author tells me how I think differently than a man or how I probably underestimate my strength or the differences between men and women physiologically throughout. This annoys me. If there are still women who want to lift heavy and at the same time don't want big muscles, it explains stuff to them.

hmmm, i expected it to be less - well- sexist. But if it gets a few more women who are still on the fence into lifting then it's still a good thing i guess.

thx for the info
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way he makes assumptions about women and compares the sexes the whole way through.

^ Yeah, this also. It got old pretty fast. :indifferent:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

hmmm, i expected it to be less - well- sexist. But if it gets a few more women who are still on the fence into lifting then it's still a good thing i guess.

thx for the info

It does help a lot of women to get past the fear of being bulky (or losing curves) and to lift heavy and realize the benefits of that. But, I think by the time most women pick up the book, they would not be thinking that way. And it really only takes a brief explanation to get past that misconception. and can certainly be described in a less presumptuous way.

But, the authors are good and they have a good program. This is not their only book. I actually love their book: "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". Even though it's addressed to my mother's generation (people that are in the age range of the authors).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I skimmed through a copy of NROLFW, but it was kinda TL;DR for me.

I like to keep things really simple and my workouts short. I also don't have access to a gym, so a lot of it was out anyways. I didn't really love the looks of the "diet" plan either.

Yeah, the diet plan put me on an extreme cut and I wanted to be at maintenance (my TDEE is higher than most people my size).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i didnt like it as a strength training program. after stage 2 it gets really complicated, overly cutesy with the moves and the exercises are less geared towards building strength.

the routines also get longer (up to 90 minutes) and you start needing a lot of space and a lot of props. i think it's probably best as a home workout when you dont have to share a space with multiple people, but in the gym it can be pain jumping from station to station and hoping that no one else jumps on while you are doing something else.

plus i understand that the book is written for women who have never lifted anything heavier than 5 pounds, but i think the tone it takes to tell women it's OK to lift is a bit condescending.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think the book is a great read, nutrition a joke, the lifting program ok, but overall wasn't a fan of it. My biggest issue was some of the accessory exercises. Some of them were awkward to do like YTWL (make each letter with your arms with dumbbells) and lateral flexion (looks like you're showing off your camel toe to the world). It also didn't include enough of the big lifts to my taste. There were phases without squats, bench presses, pull ups, etc. It was also a really long program. Some days were over an hour and a half. After a few phases I stopped and now I do Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have not followed the nutrition or the program but reading the book got me into lifting. I am old forty one ex- athlete but never did any weights seriously. It has helped me get through the worst exercise slump and got me reinterested in working out
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I found it well written and even entertaining (except for the constant reminder that i am a woman - like i'd forget :-p).

anyhow, doing stage 1 of the training plan now - with a few changes to suit the equipment i have at hand. and picked up a few ideas from the nutrition plan. i also am still doing my 10k running program, i tack it on right after the lifting, because it leaves me too sore the next day.

so far, i like the slow progression, and that it only takes 20 minutes for the workout. so it looks like i am a candidate to switch over to stronglifts 5x5, got the app already, just didn't want to 'quit' my current program. so i am at least going to finish stage 1.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through a copy of NROLFW, but it was kinda TL;DR for me.

I like to keep things really simple and my workouts short. I also don't have access to a gym, so a lot of it was out anyways. I didn't really love the looks of the "diet" plan either.

Yeah, the diet plan put me on an extreme cut and I wanted to be at maintenance (my TDEE is higher than most people my size).
    I had that issue, too. To get anything remotely approaching reality with their calculations, I had to subtract about 10 years from my age.

As far as the program, I only did Stage 1. It was a decent intro to lifting, but I decided to bail on the rest of the program in favor of a simpler routine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm really hoping this thread dies again. i keep opening it up to weigh in on it again but then deciding not to bother.
  • dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have done NROL4W twice and also picked up NROLFor Life. I injured myself twice doing NrL4W but I did see increases in strength and loss of inches up till I got hurt. I really enjoyed the program but did not understand how bad some of the exercises were for me due to my previous knee issues. With the For Life book, I still have issues with many of the exercises. If you dont have great knee stabilization , even the for life exercises can be bad to start with. One issue I have with the program, is that it does not I corporate any meaningful stretching. This is what led to my injuries. I found that for heavier people like me, the body wright matrix is not a good idea. My physical therapist felt that some exercises in the program are just not a good idea such as any of the ones with a barbell on your back/ shoulders-- you are better off holding dumbbells.

My suggestion if you do it is that you add pilates or some sort of dedicated stretching program so you don't get hurt. After getting hurt twice it just wasn't worth it for me and now I do my own programs where I mix it up. I ended up heriating a disc. That took months from which to recover-- no program is worth that.

I have worked with a physical therapist to develop good stabilization in my knees and build up my back and core so that now I can do some of the NrOf lifting for life workouts, but I am super careful about stretching now
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started it and really enjoyed Stage 1. I also think it's a great read for any woman wondering about nutrition, benefits of lifting, why women should lift the same way men do, etc. I found Stage 2 a little complicated though, and have since switched to Stronglifts, but I still think NROLW is a valuable resource.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

So glad to gear someone else use the word annoying:)

This isn't a brand new release. I think more women lift heavy now than even in the recent past and I think women who were cardio bunnies and only used 1# and 3# DBs do underestimate how strong they are and how much weight they can push, and I think that's the woman the book was speaking to. There's an old saying "take what works and leave the rest"

I am on Stage 7. I didn't sub out any of the exercises. I could do some easily, others I did poorly but the program works for me. I am much stronger than when I started out.
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I read the book, tried following the program, and lost interest. I do still weight lift, but i use what they had set up as a guideline since my time is also short (30-45 minutes two to three days a week) bumping for reactions.