Anyone NOT like the New Rules of Lifting for Women?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it because the moves were a bit awkward, complicated, and hard to do. (For me!)

I much more benefited from doing something similar to Strong lifts but with four compound exercises three days a week. They were all exercises recommended on Bodybuilding.com that covered all body parts and are themed. They are also easy to comprehend and do, albeit challenging when you add the weights!
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This has been a really interesting thread for me since I've been gearing up to start NRoL4W. I even printed up the workout logs for the entire program.

I got to discover my enjoyment of lifting heavier weights a few years ago with a particular trainer that really pushed us girls (I was in a small group class thing) to lift much more than we thought we could, and I'll be forever grateful to him for that. I haven't lifted weights in a few years though, and lately I've been realizing how much I miss it. So I dusted off my copy of New Rules and was going to get started on it, but now I'm re-thinking my strategy. After reading all these comments, I'm thinking I may only do stage one, then perhaps move on to Strong Lifts from there. It sounds a little more up my alley for the longer term.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I bought the book and read it. Then I decided to do Stronglifts 5x5. Stronglifts is MUCH simpler, and the reason they choose the exercises they do is common sense and the movements are natural. Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong, exactly, with NRL4W, but I wanted something simpler and easier to get into. I love it so far, and its FREE. If you do check it out, join the group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    They have a summary all written up so that you can skip all the over-the-top manliness in the book.

Similar. I started SL5x5 and after reading here, decided to pick up NROLfW at the library. It was okay, sometimes funny, sometimes a bit condescending for my tastes (woman does not = idiot), I skipped right over the meal plans, and think the workouts are too damn long and complicated. SL is a better fit for me.

All that said, I don't regret having read it. I'm just glad I didn't buy it!
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a few months now (currently halfway through stage 4) and I like it. I can see a difference in my body composition, even though I'm not losing much weight. I'm definitely stronger, and I haven't had nearly the trouble with back/neck pain and headaches like I was before.

Yes, the workouts are getting a little more complicated, and I do have trouble with some exercises (like the front squat/overhead press) due to my neck issues. If my neck muscles get too stiff/tight I'll get migraines. I also use my home gym and so don't have all the equipment the program calls for. In those cases I just modify as much as I can.

For instance, I have a pulley that works for pulldowns, rows and reverse woodchops, but I can't do horizontal chops with it because the pulley is in a fixed position near the floor. So I use a weighted ball for that particular move. I also don't have the means to do the back extension, so I do one of the alternate exercises recommended in the book. I also don't have good enough balance yet to do one-point rows without falling over, so I will rest my back foot on the weight bench just for balance. For partial one-leg squats I will rest my fingertips on a sturdy object just to keep balance.

If I find I'm running out of time, I might skip the intervals or body weight matrix at the end, or do 2 sets of everything instead of 3. I do cardio on my alternate days so I figure over the course of the week it evens out.

Bottom line is I try to follow the program as closely as a can, and modify as needed. I'm still getting results, so I can't complain. There are often variations of the exercises in the book, and I'm sure you could get on YouTube and find other variations as well that might work better for a given exercise you might have trouble with. I would think that as long as you are working the same/similar muscle groups you would get similar results.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It turned me into a man.