Paleo vs The China Study - What are your views?

Options
MeeshyBW
MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
I have been doing an awful lot of research at the moment into the Palaeolithic diet. It has been all over the internet with an abundance of Paleo food blogs popping up and it being touted as the ultimate diet.

However, I have also done my research into those against such a diet, based around the China Study that promotes a diet free from animal products based on significant scientific and medical research by some of the top minds in the nutrition field including T. Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn. (Watch the documentary Forks over Knives)

I am now in a spot of confusion over which diet is best. Both contradict each other and Paleo is way more fashionable at the moment which might explain all of the internet noise about it?

I would like to know if there has been any real research done on the Paleo diet that proved such an meat based diet lowers cholesterol and has a medical impact on your well being? Not just flashy blogs and trendy books claiming this is the case but real medical proof that the foods they claim are bad for you, are in fact bad for you?

I am not anti Paleo, in fact I am very interested in this but I just cannot find any real proof that it has the same effect on the human body that the diet the China study promotes does.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To me these seem like fad diets, I believe that if you are one for those sorts of things google the "dr. rudy diet" and watch his instructional youtube video, but in all honesty its actually based on some damn solid science and will work pretty well.
  • MeeshyBW
    Options
    I'm not really one for fad diets, I am just very interested in eating habits and nutrition. I am more interested in peoples opinions of these two lifestyles rather than go down the path of this thread talking about the Dr. Rudy Diet if thats okay.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Paleo is good. Is it mandatory? That's debatable.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19209185

"Even short-term consumption of a paleolithic type diet improves BP and glucose tolerance, decreases insulin secretion, increases insulin sensitivity and improves lipid profiles without weight loss in healthy sedentary humans."

Edit: Corrected a misspelling.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Paleo man's only objective was to survive, not to lower cholesterol, not to have a six pack abs, not to be jacked and have low bodyfat, not to lose weight and look great in a loin-cloth. Only survival.
  • MeeshyBW
    Options
    But my view is that ANY diet that removed refined grains from your diet and sugars is bound to have positive effects on your body and well being? Is eating such large amounts of meat based protein necessary? I am not entirely convinced.

I agree in eating grass fed meats, organic eggs etc... I am just not convinced that removing legumes and all grains is entirely healthy. Wheat, absolutely. I have not seen ANY research that tells me wheat is necessary. I have been wheat free for nearly a year and it has had a huge impact on my well being.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this as well - we see people in various parts of the world absolutely thriving on certain types of diets (that is, ways of eating, not diet-diets), and yet so many in other parts of the world just can't figure it out.

Related to that (stay with me here, I promise this will make sense), some people are naturally long and lean, and others are naturally muscle-y and stocky. It stands to reason that the people in one part of the world evolved to thrive off the foods available and their body types evolved to fit the demands they regularly faced.

So! Perhaps the answer isn't that one way of eating is "right" and good for everyone. Perhaps the key is looking back at your own ancestry, and trying to eat the way the majority of your own ancestors did. (Granted, for those of us who are complete mutts, this will be more difficult.)

For me, the largest portion of my ancestry is Scottish. I am stronger than I look, can carry heavy weights, and thrive on lots of meat and veggies, so paleo works for me. Long distance running doesn't seem natural for me (that is, my body says NO WAY, even though it will happily run shorter distances), but brute force types of activities are great. Consider a woman who grew up in the Highlands - what would she eat and what types of activities would she regularly do? Everything falls in line for what seems right for me.

What does your own inner ancestor suggest is right for you?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The China study is complete and total bull.

Hope that helps.
  • MeeshyBW
    Options

Hope that helps.

Not really. Not even the least bit helpful or insightful.

These are precisely the sort of statements I was hoping to avoid asking this question.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    http://rawfoodsos.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/minger_formal_response2.pdf

Pretty comprehensive discussion on the limitations of the China Study.
  • MeeshyBW
    Options

Does Denise Minger have any sort of credentials that are not just "Food blogger"? Does she have a medical or scientific/nutrition background? I'm genuinely interested in this. I want to know if her science is just pseudoscience or if she actually knows what she's talking about.
  • DavPul
    Options

Hope that helps.

Not really. Not even the least bit helpful or insightful.

These are precisely the sort of statements I was hoping to avoid asking this question.

Happy to help. You're welcome
  • DavPul
    Options

Does Denise Minger have any sort of credentials that are not just "Food blogger"? Does she have a medical or scientific/nutrition background? I'm genuinely interested in this. I want to know if her science is just pseudoscience or if she actually knows what she's talking about.

aaaaaaaaaaand this is why i don't surf around on the net and give people links. you're perfectly happy to believe the pseudoscience of both the china study and the paleo eating, but when someone provides you with a link that shoots them down you suddenly become skeptical. not just you, but everyone does this. they pick and choose the links that support their point of view and disregard links that don't.
  • myofibril
    Options

I have no idea of her scientific background but it doesn't overly bother me if truth be told.

What interests me is the quality of the analysis, the critical methods used and the interpretation of the sources cited. She has done a pretty solid job in those departments.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    The china study has been shown to be wrong on MULTIPLE occasions...

Do what works for YOU.
  • myofibril
    Options
    . not just you, but everyone does this. they pick and choose the links that support their point of view and disregard links that don't.

Oi, I have no cognitive biases that I know of*

(* ok, maybe one or two)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts?

The China Diet reminds me of Noni Juice. Im sure you will do your research. From my perspective: A study revealed that people indigenous to a geographical area consuming this juice from fruit that grew in this area, lived longer. After everyone jumped on that bandwagon and started buying the Noni Juice for $45 a bottle people are still dying, probably at a similar rate, except now they have less money when they die.

I am neither pro Paleo or China Diet, however I do love to eat meat. The problem that I have is, with Paleo or China diet are they studying people eating meat NOT injected with chemicals, steroids, and hormones that they are pumped with today? American beef is BANNED from Europe for this very reason. It could be possible that the China Diet shows significant differences because of the lack of hormones and chemicals in their diet. So here is an idea for a follow up China Diet study.

Let the Chinese continue to eat non animal products and then inject them full of the crap we pump our meat with. Then lets see how many tumors, lesions and heart explosions they start having per capita.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    But my view is that ANY diet that removed refined grains from your diet and sugars is bound to have positive effects on your body and well being? Is eating such large amounts of meat based protein necessary? I am not entirely convinced.

I agree in eating grass fed meats, organic eggs etc... I am just not convinced that removing legumes and all grains is entirely healthy. Wheat, absolutely. I have not seen ANY research that tells me wheat is necessary. I have been wheat free for nearly a year and it has had a huge impact on my well being.

Paleo doesn't necessarily mean that you eat pounds and pounds of bacon or steak everyday. It simply is eliminating types of foods that are agriculturally based. Grains, dairy, legumes.
  • MeeshyBW
    Options
    I just wanted to know what Denise Minger credentials were is all. It seems she has no formal training in this friend so I am dubious about taking her research on board because of this. She wouldn't be the first blogger to jump on something like this to get a name for themselves in the blogosphere.

Anyone can claim to be anything on the internet and there is a lot of readily available information and data for people to collate to make it their 'own' research without having a scientific/medical background.

Personally I feel more comfortable with a rebuttal of the China Study being done on a sample size larger than ONE. :-/ I'm not sure how this woman is debunking the China study with this tiny amount of research with such a tiny sample size, it's almost not worth considering in my opinion.

I think this is going slightly off topic anyhow. I will of course read all the links thoroughly to get my own opinion.

I am very interested to see some more scientific studies done on the paleo diet if anyone knows of any.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

too much protein can be bad for the kidneys. Also, it is important to note that the paleolithic diet was likely not as reliant on meat as the current blogs state. see here for a bird's eye overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic#Diet_and_nutrition Note: they DID eat legumes and grains. just not beans and wheat. Also, cannibalism was fairly common.

There's also a nutritional movement to eat only whatever grows naturally in the area. Sorry, but if I were to do that I'd be stuck with... meat, mainly. and some berries and nuts. Maybe seaweed. All of the other vegetables evolved more to the south and were brought along as people moved more North.

There's a really good socio-history book, but it also has a lot of information on nutrition and its influence on evolution because the author's a biologist: Guns, Germs and Steel. It's an interesting read regardless, but the impact on food and particularly the availability of carbs, and how that influenced the development of various civilizations is really quite eye-iopening.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All I know is peanuts are too delicious to avoid. (same with cheese, beer, bread, and all the other paleo no-no's) I don't need any scientific study to tell me that it's bad for me to deprive myself of nutritious foods that I enjoy. :smokin: