Swedish Mannequins Now In Normal Sizes!

Options

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if going by "average size" is good. Because I mean, the average size can be big still. Seems like making an average size can promote thinking it's ok to not want to get into better shape.

I mean, unrealistically small isn't good, obviously. But average when the average is already large isn't good.

910a937e-ef4d-417a-ab58-d2e935c69776_swedish-mana.jpg

Yeah, God forbid we want women to be as large as these 'average" mannequins... :noway:

I know, how gross. She doesn't even have a thigh gap ffs.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I just threw up all over my computer.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lets take a moment to give our sympathy to the size 4 girl who you referred to as "not normal".

Now that thats done, I agree totally with you. It's nice to see that store mannequins are finally going to be realistic. Now if stores would stop overstocking sizes 0-4 and actually stock sizes for women who actually eat.

BTW, if I ever get to be a size four, you can call me any damn thing you want and I won't be offended!
  • sixout
    Options
    So people that are smaller don't eat? Good to know!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Lets take a moment to give our sympathy to the size 4 girl who you referred to as "not normal".

Now that thats done, I agree totally with you. It's nice to see that store mannequins are finally going to be realistic. Now if stores would stop overstocking sizes 0-4 and actually stock sizes for women who actually eat.

BTW, if I ever get to be a size four, you can call me any damn thing you want and I won't be offended!

Hmm, I think I've had the reverse problem, trying to find clothes in the store that actually fit me, because they don't stock very many of the 0 - 2's. Oh, and I eat. And eat. And eat. Being those sizes doesn't mean we don't eat, it just means we watch what it is we do eat. :flowerforyou:

ETA: moderation on occasion works for me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

You may think that now, but when you get there you'll find that you don't suddenly develop unshakeable self confidence and sky high self esteem. You'll find that you are still human, and still have your insecurities, and it still hurts when people say bad things about your body.

So I think it would be wise not to start body shaming on anyone. Very few people have unshakeable self esteem, and even those that do it doesn't give anyone the right to insult them or say what they like about them.
  • sixout
    Options

You may think that now, but when you get there you'll find that you don't suddenly develop unshakeable self confidence and sky high self esteem. You'll find that you are still human, and still have your insecurities, and it still hurts when people say bad things about your body.

So I think it would be wise not to start body shaming on anyone. Very few people have unshakeable self esteem, and even those that do it doesn't give anyone the right to insult them or say what they like about them.

http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if going by "average size" is good. Because I mean, the average size can be big still. Seems like making an average size can promote thinking it's ok to not want to get into better shape.

I mean, unrealistically small isn't good, obviously. But average when the average is already large isn't good.

910a937e-ef4d-417a-ab58-d2e935c69776_swedish-mana.jpg

Yeah, God forbid we want women to be as large as these 'average" mannequins... :noway:

I know, how gross. She doesn't even have a thigh gap ffs.

Actually, she does, which just adds to the unrealistic-ness of this "normal" mannequin.
  • n2thenight24
    Options

My outlook on humanity, just became considerably more grim...
  • sixout
    Options

Why do you hate fat people?
  • n2thenight24
    Options

Why do you hate fat people?

I think that blog hates fat people, thin people and pregnant Sims.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a normal size....

that is all
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ....... nevermind...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I don't care much about the size of the mannequins.. I just wish they would stop putting ridiculous nips on all of them.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Haha everything has to be about equality in Sweden nowadays.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i think i never let a piece of plastic tell me how i was supposed to look.

i also get a bit furious at the idea that any specific thing is a normal size or a real woman. last a checked there wasn't really a normal and mass had a lot less to do with being a real woman than matching chromosomes.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    whether or not "normal" size is "good"....

since mannequins are meant to show WHAT CLOTHING WILL LOOK LIKE ON A HUMAN BODY, shouldn't the mannequins therefore LOOK LIKE AN AVERAGE HUMAN BODY? whether we have gotten too big or not, what's the point in seeing something on a mannequin that looks nothing like us?

and since when is being a size 8 or 10 "dangerous" or "obese"....god...the mannequins are not even "fat", they are just not emaciated....

run for the hills!!! a size 10 mannequin!!!! women everywhere will start eating entire sticks of butter for breakfast!!!!! the mannequins!!! good god!!!!!

Friend request sent. I like your humor!
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't consider those mannequins to be 'normal' sized because what the heck even is normal? Those mannequins are fantastic, yes, because they are larger than the average ones used in shops and we need to see diversity, but the concept of burning all small size mannequins and replacing them with plus sizes is just ridiculous, because a size 6 is natural to some people. Everyone has a different frame, everyone has their own build and carries their weight however nature intended them to.

I would love to see mannequins size 12 and over commonplace in Britain, but so long as they are alongside their 'skinny' counterparts. People say that the skinny mannequins are promoting a thin ideal, which yes, I see why they think that, and the fashion industry can hardly say they don't favour bones over boobs. But what we need is DIVERSITY. Not just plus size mannequins or just skinny mannequins. We need them in every shape and size because the body is beautiful, diversity is beautiful, and there is no such thing as perfect, but accepting yourself is pretty damn close to perfect.

I'm a plus size model. I'm a UK size 12 (US 8) and have always been this size, except for a time when I went up to a 14. Whether I was 10 stone or 12 stone I've been the same dress size, that's just my shape. That's my normal. Now, I have a fellow model friend who is just one inch shorter than me and a size 6, and has always been that tiny, even after having a child. There is no normal size for everyone.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Mavd hope I didn't offend you, :cry: I didn't mean to, I am not sure what a size 4 is in the UK? smallest size I have seen here is 8 :ohwell:

I am in two minds, not sure I like the new but I definitely don't like the current ones.

UK size 8 is the same as US size 0. :)
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I want to know where I can buy some! I run a business making jewelry and costumes and I recently invested in a set of 12 hanging mannequins that I use at shows to display my product. I am amazed by how many comments I get from people about "Oh I'd wear that in a minute if my tummy looked like that! or "If only I had that figure!" The mannequins I have are too small for a size 1 (US) and everything has to be pinned in the back to keep if from just falling off. Granted these mannequins are half a mannequin, so there is no backside to them, but they are the same displays that I am sure anyone who has gone clothes shopping would recognize. I would love to carry a variety of mannequins, each representing a different body shape and size, but economically that just isn't feasible for me as someone who would buy them or for any company that would be making them. I feel like this lack of diversity is one of the prices we pay for the convenience of having mass produced products made easily and affordable available to us. They (the companies) get to tell us what is considered normal or average because that is what they are selling the most of.