How do you get yourself to the gym

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    anyone got any tips for when you cant make going to the gym routine?

im a full time student and a shift worker........i never have the same hour free from week to week lol

Hmm, I would talk to your manager at work about giving you a more stable schedule. Lie if you have to, but say that certain hours of the day are not available--just like you cannot work during your classes.

When I had an hourly job ages ago, I had a manager who would draw up a new schedule every week, even though the employees were all the same. It had never occurred to her that she could use the same schedule from week to week, and that her employees would actually like that a lot more than having an unpredictable schedule. When it was pointed out to her, it was like a lightbulb went off in her head.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror, think about how much better I look and feel than I did a year ago and much better I will look and feel a year from now.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Just put the shoes on!
    That's been my mantra - if I can just get into my workout clothes, either at the gym or at home, then I'm good to go.

I go to the gym at the end of my work day and I pack my gym bag the night before so it's always in the car. If I decide not to go it's a conscious decision since I have my gear with me.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    So, compiled lists of methods:

Don't think, just do it.
    Prepare, remove the steps/preparation it takes to go.
    Imagine 'future me'.
    Think about the consequences of not going.

What about when you aren't really seeing the benefits in the mirror, even though you are doing everything correctly? Or at least it seems to look like nothing is happening physically? I mean no one likes an exercise in futility, right? (I wonder if I could count that in my exercise log? :laugh: )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, there are days you don't want to go to work, days you don't want to get the kids ready, days you don't want to cook, etc.........................................................but you do them ANYWAY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't let myself think about how much I don't want to go. I'm always fine by the time I get there.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Usually by car...sometimes I'll ride my bike.

If I don't go, I am so crabby...the gym is my safe place!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I JUST DO IT!!!! NO EXCUSES AND IF I TRY TO HAVE SOME, I BANISH THEM AND JUST DO IT ANYWAY. THE REWARDS FAR OUT WAY THE EXCUSES.
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i took a job teaching there....that is the only reason i go. lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So, compiled lists of methods:

Don't think, just do it.
    Prepare, remove the steps/preparation it takes to go.
    Imagine 'future me'.
    Think about the consequences of not going.

What about when you aren't really seeing the benefits in the mirror, even though you are doing everything correctly? Or at least it seems to look like nothing is happening physically? I mean no one likes an exercise in futility, right? (I wonder if I could count that in my exercise log? :laugh: )

That's a legit question, but think about all the internal benefits. Better heart health, greater strength, etc. There are lots of great benefits that don't show up in the mirror. Think of it in terms of your overall health; the mirror will catch up.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    How do you do it when you really don't want to? I had to force myself to go today. anyone have little mental tricks they play on themselves to get up and just do it?

get up.

do it.

no tricks. Whatever you did today IS the way to do it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Work out buddy waiting for you helps!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I MUST take a group class or I won't go.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, there are days you don't want to go to work, days you don't want to get the kids ready, days you don't want to cook, etc.........................................................but you do them ANYWAY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

so true!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I know by now I'll feel so good afterwards - that is motivating.

The mental trick for me, since I go after work, is to change into my workout clothes immediately when I get home, including shoes. Even if I'm not going immediately. Then it's like, just go - it's only a 7 minute drive to the gym and you'll feel awesome.

And sometimes I just think about my ticker...yeah, the food was the biggest part in the loss so far, but the exercise helped too :wink:
  • kimberly728
    kimberly728 Posts: 124
    Options
    My alarm goes off daily at 4:15am... when it comes across my screen it reads "get up!! do you want to be fat forever?"

I also pack everything i need the night before... pack all my lunch stuff in my lunch bag and put it in the fridge... pack my gym bag and put it next to the front door... and i sleep in my gym clothes. so i literally wake up put on shoes, brush teeth and walk out the door.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    After 47 years of lifting, I love working out. I only lift H.I.T style two days a week, so even on the bad days (Too tired at 5pm) I am so glad I went.

I also walk 3-5 miles six days a week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I decided what is important to me. I schedule my week and it's built in. To me, feelings have nothing to do with it. It's something I committed to and I live up to my commitments. Self control and dedication. That simple.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sleep :)

I have a hard time getting to sleep, so when I exersice before bed, I'm exauhsted, so I sleep almost instantly :)
  • acwd
    acwd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that people in better shape than me don't make lame excuses not to work out. People are in better shape than me because they work harder, not because they are lucky.