BMR and TDEE Explained for Those Needing a Guide

Options

Replies

• serenefractal
    serenefractal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for explaining...i was so confused.

this makes me less scared to eat a little higher (which will make life better since I won't be starving myself)
  • chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just started doing this. Loving it! Its more of a fat loss too, so yes shape will change but perhaps not alot of weight. Very well put
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing just what you wrote about but will bump for future reference. Thanks for all the great info!
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! This was very helpful to me!
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOU!!!! LOL!
    I have been going to 20,000 sites to try to understand this. It took you writing this and me reading this once to finally get it. Thank you :)
  • srpink26
    srpink26 Posts: 9
    Options
    This was super helpful, thanks! I just signed up for mfp today and was shocked that it was suggesting a 1200 calorie diet! Thanks to your post and the websites you mentioned I believe I got a more accurate suggestion of 1570 calories a day. Whoo, relief!
  • keeleen
    keeleen Posts: 93
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just a bumperoo to show someone else. Thanks for the great read! :flowerforyou:
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you for the links.

According the the calculator, my body fat percentage is 22.6% (neck: 12", waist: 27.5"; hips: 36").

I am 32 years old, 5'7", and 126.2 lbs and my lowest goal weight I want to be is 125, so I am ~basically~ maintaining at this point.

I am looking into recalculating my MFP calorie numbers but am not sure on activity level. I go to the Y 7 days a week and do 31 mins on the elliptical and 20 minutes of strength training 2-3 days a week. I do pushups every day (65-75 of them but don't really count those as a ton of activity as it only takes me a few minutes).

I have a mostly sedentary desk job 40 hours a week, but do some walking around.

I have 3 young kids but since I'm here at work during the day, it's hard to say I'm actively "chasing them around" a lot.

I get calories for tandem nursing (older baby/toddler + toddler, but they nurse 8 times a day and more on weekends). ETA: the calories get deducted (-600) every day from what I eat and this was a figure I found in the database.

I would think "very active" based on me working out 7 days a week, but since it's intense cardio for a half hour, is that enough to be considered "very" active?

Thank you in advance! I would love to know what I should set my calories to, based on current activity. This is the levels it is giving me (image below screen capture):

TDEE_zps26b7bc3f.png
  • jporter2004
    jporter2004 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for posting this :smile:
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    bump
  • jfo2343
    jfo2343 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for your explanation of all this! Honestly, I had read through several other TDEE posts and felt my head spinning by the end of them; I'm a fairly intelligent person, but I just couldn't grasp all the numbers and calculations and ways to figure out this and that about eating the number of calories I should (instead of the 1429 that MFP spit out for me when I first joined). Your explanation is the first one I've read where I really feel like I understand the concept. Thank you, thank you, thank you! =>
  • MissesForrester
    MissesForrester Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • littlemom1983
    littlemom1983 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good post on explaining how it works. Thank you for sharing.
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump......
  • TillyNix
    TillyNix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was trying to explain this to someone and this comes in a very good time. Thank you for sharing your research.