thank you
  • ShellRaymo
    ShellRaymo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Agree with heybales - 20% under and a more accurate TDEE are needed. I learned from reading alot of posts that active exercise is really HARD and lengthy exercise almost all week - like serious weight training, lifting, etc. I think you would fall below that at moderate in my opinion based on what you describe and then less out the 20%.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Very clearly explained. Going to go 30% under my TDEE... This means going from 1,300-1,400 cals to 2,236... I'm so scared but I trust this theory!

30% isn't sliding you right under your BMR? And with exercise you'll be in almost the same boat you are right now?

Don't shoot your body in the metabolism thinking it'll be better.

My BMR is 1,853... Multiplied it by 1.725 for Very Active (Insanity 6 times a week) is 3,196 and 70% of that is 2,237. Or do you reckon I should multiply it by 1.55 for Mod. Active (which would be a TDEE of 2,010)? Like I said I do Insanity, but the rest of the day is a lot of sitting, some walking (5 mi) when I have school, cleaning around the house, cooking, but mostly really just sitting down.

How many HOURS, not days, are you exercising a week?
    I thought Insanity was a shorter program.
    You may be rounding up from one level, or down from another.

So you think you burn more than 383 calories in your session, because for almost every day in a week you'd be under BMR by decent amount, likely making your exercise not nearly as useful as it could be. (2236-1853)
    So that is what your exercise is knocking off your calories purely for mechanical movement, forget desire to improve things.

You exercise for body improvement, right? If you don't feed it, you won't get it.

Diet is for weight loss, hopefully just fat loss unless you do it wrong.

Which for you, 30% is wrong for sure. 20% with better TDEE estimate would be better.

Or you the spreadsheet several have recommended to you to keep it simple.

Okay. Yeah Insanity workouts range from 45 mins to an hour. On the 45 minute ones I burn anywhere from 450 to 500 cals. The rest of the day I really don't do a whole lot at all, so I recalculated it to be moderate and subtracted 20% instead of 30%. Put me at 2,285. Going to try to work up to that now. Thanks for the help!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    that was a great, thorough, and very clear explanation! i've been doing a little research in this area myself and it was so nice to have it explained in a way that makes TOTAL SENSE. thank you!
  • Missyann68
    Missyann68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TheNewStacie
    TheNewStacie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Fantastic information in here! So many people are worried about only eating 1200 calories, and then only eat those low calorie meals and snacks. Those are so un-filling and loaded with chemicals, that you then want to binge later on. Going to mess with the calculation when I get home and see what I come up with. Again thanks!
  • AngelDog1
    AngelDog1 Posts: 89
    Options
    Bump-Thanks!
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Zap77
    Zap77 Posts: 26
    Options
    OMG this is so helpful! thank you!!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    great post and info -- thank you OP for sharing!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Thanks for this, I will check it out when I get home and maybe this will help me start moving again.
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the time and effort put into the research and explanation.

After doing all the inputs and calculations I came up with a BMR of 1725, a TDEE of 2252 (slightly active). deducting 20% I get 1802. If I understand this correctly, this means I shoud eat 1800 cals daily and any "normal activity" cals earned I do not eat back. However If I do something way above normal, I can eat those if I wanted. 1800 cals is alot above the 1400 I was allowing myself (i knew 1200 was too low).

Could someone reply and affirm that I understand the results before I start eating too much.
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump Really, really helpful post!! Thank you!
  • eddierichardson73
    eddierichardson73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks that does help a lot!
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    good to know. Thanx
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks!
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • DeborahSueBrooks
    DeborahSueBrooks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Even using the 20%, I still have to consume 2311 calories.
    This is freakin' impossible.