BMR and TDEE Explained for Those Needing a Guide

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Any updates from people who have been on their new caloric intake for a significant amount of time? I'm hopeful but I don't want to end up gaining back the weight I've worked so hard to lose. :|

The sticky success stories, and individual posts on them too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map

This is where the info came from, repackaged.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you, km :smile:
  • Lillypearl62
    Lillypearl62 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Bump
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Vailara, for me too the weight is slow (as it should be I think - but in retrospect, 1-2 lbs a week I think is great) but steady - I recently read and watched some youtube info that many can see a slight increase on the scale or the same # BUT the inches are less and the shape is leaner and the clothes are looser - it really made me think how much that scale is really a bare minimum guide - getting leaner and the look of the body along with health is what we are all after - I can get so hung up on the scale #'s and the more I saw reg this where the body got leaner, the more it sort of clicked that the scale is something I should not get too upset over - I can see the difference even visually in my body shape and how my clothes fit so I think, ok, go slow, but I know at some future date the # will be down and at the scale weight I was so desperate to get to.......................
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thank you....I think i am under eating at 1200....ironically i have to work hard to get to those. Time to figure this out
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    Bump
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    loricshields - 1200 is probably way low and your system adjusts by hanging on to every thing you eat..............feed it, give it time to learn that it can let go and burn - it does work! Good luck!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    MadameMC - glad it makes sense and wishing you luck in it. Patience is key - just know the logic holds - it works - after my stall and slight gain while eating at 1200 or less, I lost 5 lbs in about 3 weeks - metabolism is turned on and not only that, my shape is changing, clothes in smaller sizes are fitting - email anytime!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    teresa, what you describe sounds exactly right - eat at least your BMR and then a % less then TDEE - any lower then BMR and your body will stall or gain and hang on to the food you put in..........
  • kygibson315
    kygibson315 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luvmylabz
    luvmylabz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Huge thanks to kmcosgrove115 for explaining this so well so that is easy to understand. I've already seen results, 1 week after adjusting my caloric intake I've lost 3 lbs (went up 2 the first few days, went down 3 as of today) YIPEEE!!!
  • nathanielsmom01
    Options
    bump
  • misspatrice562
    misspatrice562 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You explained it well. Thanks!
  • mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, need to figure this out!!
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump...thank you!
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump