• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Bump
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    BUMPPPPP :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Given that fact, what we are told with 1200 cal / day is simply false and very detrimental to our body. Some call it "starvation mode" but a more accurate description would be "nutrient deficient." The body looks at that 1200 calories and says, ok, I need (in my case to get specific) 1529 a day to keep you living and breathing and you are giving me 1200, a 300 deficit.

So, in order to keep you living and breathing, again, body NOT caring about weight loss, the body will slow or stop some other systems (metabolism being the 1st it stops) and hang on to those 1200 calories b/c all it knows is that you are under-feeding it and so it must "hoard" that 1200, store it as fat and keep you alive. You essentially are stopping the metabolic process to a halt when you under eat.

This is rubbish especially if you are eating healthy and have plenty of fat stores.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    bump
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    thank you!
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1686
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1932
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2178
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2424
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2670

Sorry, thicko here I just don't get it.

I work full time at a desk job, I'm a mom of 3 and endeavour to do a circuit training workout 5 times a week.

Which level do I pick? Do I deduct and eat back calories burnt?
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    bump
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Excellent post--thank you.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Bump
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    kmcosgrove,

thanks so much. All that helped. It cleared my head from some confusement.

I think I will do the simple thing: on the days when I work out (and I do it hard) AND I'm hungry (which I am most of those days), I will eat more. But If I'm not especially hungry I will just eat little bit more but not all the "given" calories.

Bad thing about these types of boards is that there is SOOO much info "for this" and "against this" that you get freaking confused and you start doubting everything. I just have to keep my head straight and trust my instincts on this (as other things in life). And keep on going....
  • MissEBK
    MissEBK Posts: 23
    I huge THANK YOU! This was a fantastic read!
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Thank you, bumping this so I can do the calculations because right now it is all Latin to me :) Thanks!
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Awesome, thank you! I have read so many of these threads and they were so confusing.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Bump
  • BUMP

This REALLY helped.
    For the life of me I could not figure out why MFP was telling me to eat 1200 cal's when my BRM is 1439!!

I only want to loose10-15 pounds and the scale has not moved an inch. After reading this, calculating my TDEE (2482)-20%, I realize I should eat 1985 cals. Soo I guess I have to work up the courage to eat more.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Great, thank you!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    bump
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    confucious say BUMP 'cause it's more clear, but still kinda long. and I need to read it when I'm NOT tired from a long day.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    bump
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Bump