Replies

• livs_mom
    livs_mom Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • arsimpson1
    arsimpson1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was confused as well on getting the numbers correct but you explained it in a simple manner. Thank you!
  • Jjrad14
    Jjrad14 Posts: 12
    Options
    Bump
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Try Scooby's Workshop - it gives 4 BMRs! http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I suppose they are all just estimates.

But some are more accurate.

Which ones, though? That's the trouble! I've been using Katch-McArdle, but that's based on the body fat % from my scales, which may or may not be accurate. It gives a lower figure, which means that I'm eating less than I would be if I was using the MFP settings*. I get the impression from the way people talk about TDEE - 20% that they are eating more than they would be on MFP, so it makes me wonder if I should be using that body fat measurement. However, it does make sense to me that I would need less calories if I have higher body fat.

*(Scooby's workshop Katch-McArdle gives me a goal of 1417 if lightly active [or 1236 with a desk job]. MFP gives me 1440 plus exercise calories for 1/2 pound loss a week. So I could eat quite a bit more on MFP. But it's probably not so personalised and accurate as not accounting for my highish body fat %?).

Thanks for the explanation of why Fat2fitradio doesn't use Katch-McArdle - obvious when you point it out!
  • krejbjerg
    Options
    Bump
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lisa2point0
    Options
    So interesting!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand why weight loss has become so complicated lately. Do we really need online calculators and formulas to figure out how many calories to eat?? For generations, we have been able to survive and maintain or lose weight without the help of the internet to tell us how many calories to eat.

Online calculators vary drastically because they are ALL estimates of other people's BMR/TDEEs. Finding a higher number on a website is not going to make your body start burning more calories so you can eat more. We should all have a fairly good idea of how many calories we eat to maintain our weight. If we want to lose 1 pound a week, then subtract 500 calories from that number and see how that works. If you are losing too quickly, or are getting too hungry and tired, then eat a little more. If you are not losing any weight, then eat a little less.

It really should not be this complicated.
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand why weight loss has become so complicated lately. Do we really need online calculators and formulas to figure out how many calories to eat?? For generations, we have been able to survive and maintain or lose weight without the help of the internet to tell us how many calories to eat.

Online calculators vary drastically because they are ALL estimates of other people's BMR/TDEEs. Finding a higher number on a website is not going to make your body start burning more calories so you can eat more. We should all have a fairly good idea of how many calories we eat to maintain our weight. If we want to lose 1 pound a week, then subtract 500 calories from that number and see how that works. If you are losing too quickly, or are getting too hungry and tired, then eat a little more. If you are not losing any weight, then eat a little less.

It really should not be this complicated.

But it's a good starting point for those that don't know.

Look around, many people don't have a clue how many calories they are either eating or should be eating.

Things like this give them a direction
  • motoole19
    motoole19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    Bump ... need to read & understand this properly. Thanx
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!! for the time you have taken to write this post, you will help so many ....
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also think it's a better starting point, and healthier one, than starting at the bare minimum... which is what I did for years! Then wondered why my metabolism was SHOT.

If you start with the calculators, aim for the lower end of those, and then try and adjust... try and adjust. See how your body responds, read your hunger cues. This is a HUGE and important thing about lifestyle change. It's about listening to your body, making healthy choices.

The scooby calculators are great too. Not sure if anyone posted those. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nice explanation. Bump.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    bump