How concerned are you abut gaining back?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried at all. In addition to counting calories, I've adopted a whole new dietary and fitness lifestyle that will be sticking with me forever. For one thing, I enjoy it, and for another, my life depends on it so I'm pretty much motivated by not dying right now...looking better is just gravy.

I figure at maintenance, if I feel my pants starting to get tight I'll log back in to take a look at what I'm doing calorie wise and just dial it back. I probably won't log as religiously as I have in my efforts to lose...but then again, I'm an accountant so this is just one more ledger for me to keep, so no biggie.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with it. When I finally made the change and it became a part of my everyday life that fear disappeared. I now have the desire to workout constantly and I like eating better. It didn't happen over night, but even though I may put a few pounds back on after this competition I will never be fat again.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Zero fear.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I have learned too much, and now, if I overindulge a little and the scale goes up 4-5 lbs, I immediately get back on track to erase them.

Before, I was choosing food utterly blindly, no knowledge of calories or what I needed, or how many calories are in which foods. Now that I know those things, I won't ever accidentally reach 237 lbs again.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It isn't even a possibility.

I have all the tools and knowledge I need to make sure I am the person I want to be, inside and out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Zero fear.

Same.

If my clothes start to get tight, I know exactly what to do to get them fitting again. If I did it once, I can do it again, if I have to.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    There's always a slight niggle. After all I was obese for about 15-20 years so until I've been fit for longer than that period the odds are against me.

But, I don't worry about it on a day to day basis. Being too harsh on yourself is counterproductive as you're more likely to give up.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I lost slowly and ate. A lot. I am active and never starve or deprive myself. Been maintaining for over a year.
  • irsleepy2
    irsleepy2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I worry about it a lot, because it happened to me. I lost 68 pounds, and then regained 40 of it back (over a year). I'm now back on track, and have lost 6 pounds so far, but it still concerns me, so I'm trying to figure out 'why' I did this to myself, kwim?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    It isn't even a possibility.

I have all the tools and knowledge I need to make sure I am the person I want to be, inside and out.
    This.

Barring any unforeseen acts of God I can't control, I'm not gaining the weight back. Ever.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've done this rodeo a couple of time. I gained a lot of weight in college. Started working out. Kept it off more over a decade. Then I gained a lot of weight after foot surgery. Kept it off for over a decade. Had two kids in two years. Losing that weight now.

I'm not going to promise myself that a life event won't throw me for a loop in the next 20 years. However, I know I am capable of giving myself a reality check and getting myself back on track as needed. Until that happens, I know that I'm capable of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried at all. As long as I keep logging I don't see how I can gain it back.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no chance of it happening. As I have got older it has seemed more difficult to lose. I am nearly there and if I have to still count calories for the rest of my life, I will, to ensure that the weight stays off and I stay as healthy as I feel right now. I never want to lose this amazing feeling.

While losing the weight I have ensured that I eat all of the things that I want to continue to eat and I have eaten at a sensible deficit from my normal TDEE. Therefore once I finally reach where I want to be, all I have to do is eat the same type of food and just increase portion size slightly and maybe add some additional healthier snacks than I used to choose.

Failing this time is NOT an option.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining right now, as I'd always planned to, so that I can have another baby. What I was trying to avoid was adding baby weight to baby weight. Hopefully, this will be the last time I grow out of my 'skinny' clothes, and if not, I know how to lose again if I have to.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I don't fear gaining it back because I run 3 days a week, workout 2, and cross-train another. What I fear if not being able to burn the massive amount of exercise calories I am accustom to and then have to adjust for that.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    YES! I've lost before and then gained most of it back. I took a much different approach this time and it seems very sustainable, but there is still that little voice in the back of my head saying "you better be careful..."
  • Cytrix
    Cytrix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a fear there, but I am making this a lifestyle change, not a diet. I am changing the way I think about food for life, and creating life-long habits of eating healthy and enjoying exercise (which I have never enjoyed before).
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am 58 yrs old and come from a family where everyone has weight struggles. I have lost before and gained it back more than once, so of course I'm concerned. The only way I can see keeping the weight loss off, is to stay on a maintenance plan on this site for the rest of my life. I believe that I can do it, not in my own strength, but with the Lord's help.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm really not. I've deliberately taken this very slowly (and still not done) and don't do anything now that I can't see myself always doing. I've dealt with the mental and medical aspects that brought me to the starting point to begin with. I've developed a much greater self-awareness. I remember exactly what I felt like when I started; going back is just not an option.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I used to be very concerned.I would wake up and see if I could still feel my hip bones.

But It's been three years now and I know it's not coming back because I've learned balance.

I don't binge because I don't deprive.And I don't freak if my weight fluctuates a couple of pounds.

I know I've got this this time