How concerned are you abut gaining back?

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Zero fear.

This for me too.

Maintaining your weight is easy, unless you only got ot that weight by doing something insane like 6 hours a day of cardio or a VLCD.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    No - it would take months of sitting on my bum and overeating to get bigger again.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned at all. It's not gonna happen.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed there are so many that arent worried. If we look at a general statistic 95% of us will gain that weight back. Lets see there are now as of this writing 45 posts so statistically and probably most accurate only about 2-3 of us will actually maintain the weight.

I'm very envious when I look at the numbers and my own history +100lbs wt loss all gained back plus more it makes me scared that I will once again fail and be back to 365lbs.

Maybe we will beat the statistics and we will all succeed. Maybe we are above statistics and numbers?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    immensely.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    very much so, all the time. O-O
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs back in 2002/03... maintained the loss for 2 years but got pregnant. Pregnancy + Gestational Diabetes = 70 lb weight gain. I only lost 35 of it after that pregnancy. My next pregnancy was more reasonable because I started with the GD diet from day 1. Gained 26 lbs and lost all + 10 lbs after... then basically hovered around the same weight until I came back here last spring.

Since I'm not planning to have any more babies, I'm not really concerned about gaining it back. Having said that, if I became ill or had a severe injury it could happen. I'm not sure how I'd fare if I couldn't exercise as I do. I love food. Even now when I don't track I KNOW I have a tendency to go over.

It's not that I haven't made the lifestyle changes... I have, but if I stop holding myself accountable I could easily overeat.

I keep reminding myself, though, that I did reach a happy medium for 2 years after I lost the weight the first time... where I could eat anything I wanted and not track and I basically just maintained my weight. It was about 7-8 lbs up from my "goal" but it was a natural stopping point it seemed.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well...it is possible and that does worry me but I don't let it be an excuse to give up or not get there.
    I believe I will be ok though. I have been maintaining this weight for over 3 years without difficulty. I am in the 180s....I did want to get to 150 but that hasn't happened. I decided I did not want a goal weight that I would not be able to maintain. Because then what is the point?
    I am only in my 20s though...I don't know what will happen in my life. I could get pregnant and gain weight. I could be in a car accident. I could end up working 2 jobs. My body could change with menopause. :/
    But the only thing I can control is my habits-making sure I am eating healthy foods, not overeating, and including exercise into my schedule.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have no fear of re-gain because as slow as I'm losing, I will have passed of old age by the time I reach my long term goal.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed there are so many that arent worried. If we look at a general statistic 95% of us will gain that weight back. Lets see there are now as of this writing 45 posts so statistically and probably most accurate only about 2-3 of us will actually maintain the weight.

I'm very envious when I look at the numbers and my own history +100lbs wt loss all gained back plus more it makes me scared that I will once again fail and be back to 365lbs.

Maybe we will beat the statistics and we will all succeed. Maybe we are above statistics and numbers?

Maybe we learned from our past mistakes.

For me,gaining back is not an option.

I had too many health issues and my kids need me. And now I know I'm stronger than I was.

The issues that caused me to be overweight to begin with,I've overcome. It's all good:smile:
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Unless,I have an accident or some unforseen health issue.
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I overly concern myself with it actually. I know exactly what to do and how to do it in order to achieve and maintain my current body composition, but I have a huge weakness for stress-induced emotional eating. I'll experience a particularly stressful period of time and overeat for several days until I summon the willpower to deal with the stress in less destructive ways. But I'm always afraid that I won't be able to do that and that I'll find myself in a weeks- or months-long binge and not be able to stop. So far, I've been able to reign in my overeating after only short periods of time, but I do worry that eventually I won't be able to or I won't want to put forth the psychological effort. I hope that never happens. I would like to think that it would never happen since my healthy lifestyle has become so ingrained and habitual. But still I worry. So I make it a point to always be cognizant and deliberate with my eating and with my workouts.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am because its' already happening and I can't figure out why. I joined in May of 2011. I lost about 40 lbs by Thanksgiving. Gained a couple over the holidays but got them back off by Feb 2012, so my total loss was 42 lbs. I was just maintaining for a while but I wasn't worried because it was winter, and I have to do my "alternative" exercises in the winter instead of the ones I really prefer. And my kitchen was getting remodelled, so the indoor exercise area of my home was my temporary kitchen, and I was limited w/ what I could cook. But I figured maintaining was good under the circumstances. Figured when spring/summer arrived and I could get back to riding my bike outside, swimming, etc., I would lose the next 8 lbs for a total of 50.

I stayed the same all last summer or just gained/ lost the same 2 lbs. So, in the fall, I changed things up here to give myself more calories, only lose .5 lbs/week instead of 1, as I read that might help. It didn't. I gained weight. Then I increased my exercise level. Gained weight. I have not gained in SIZE - if anything, I might be a little firmer. So, then I thought maybe I should exercise a little less, eating less as well. Long and short of it, I've gained about another 8 lbs, so now I'm still just going up/down the same 2 lbs, but I'm around 33 lbs down instead of 42, and I'm further from hitting that 50 lb mark than I was a year ago. But still, I log in every day, weigh and measure my food, track my exercise. I'm glad I'm still fitting into my new smaller clothes, but it is discouraging...

sorry to hijack there...
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm far from goal but the thought of this scares me sh_tless! All that hard work and time gone! The sad thing is that to maintain this I'll have to be doing the same thing over and over again for the rest of my life, but then I balance that with the fear.

I agree 100%. People who say they will never go there again need to be realistic. We didn't want to gain that much in the first place. It can happen agaiin. There are days when I know that I could resort to the same old habits very easily. I envy people who don't give a second thought about what they eat and don't gain weight. Thank good ness for MFP. I'm older than most so sometimes I wonder if they will have a computer for me to log on when I'm in assisted.:ohwell:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    living got cut off!
  • IamSweetcheeks
    Options
    I used to be cocky and say I wasn't at all concerned, there was no way I was going to ever be that fat again - I lost 137 pounds over two years and now I've gained back 30. Why? because I ignored what I thought I had accepted: that I need to track my calories forever. This is what it takes for ME to be accountable. Without doing that, I slip back into old patterns - it took a while, but it DID start to happen. I refuse to ever let myself get that fat again, but I will never take anything for granted.

I'm new on MyFitnesspal - I'm a Sparker ~ for years I've been on SP, but I'm shaking things up and trying something new to keep it interesting.
  • freckletone
    Options
    I managed to keep mine off for two years, but I've gain half a stone. Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things however, i wanna lose it and make sure it doesn't double that amount!
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Have regained 40-60lbs, can't remember how often, I think it's 3 times (could be 4).

Maybe it will happen again.

But if i quit -- it *will* happen, no maybe about it. :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm far from goal but the thought of this scares me sh_tless! All that hard work and time gone! The sad thing is that to maintain this I'll have to be doing the same thing over and over again for the rest of my life, but then I balance that with the fear.

I agree 100%. People who say they will never go there again need to be realistic. We didn't want to gain that much in the first place. It can happen agaiin. There are days when I know that I could resort to the same old habits very easily. I envy people who don't give a second thought about what they eat and don't gain weight. Thank good ness for MFP. I'm older than most so sometimes I wonder if they will have a computer for me to log on when I'm in assisted.:ohwell:

Were you logging your food when you gained back? I know I wasn't. Am I going to continue logging when I reach goal? You bet I am.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm only scared because I know the smaller I am, the less I have to eat to either lose, or maintain.
    Im afraid Ill get lazy and binge.