How concerned are you abut gaining back?

Options
I know I'm very hard on myself. My fear from the beginning has been regain. Right now I'm struggling with motivation, but the fear of regain is still there. Trying to get back on track, but almost seems impossible.

Replies

• MauC25K
    MauC25K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Every single day, not afraid really but just aware it can happen. I've come to grips with this being a "rest of my life" plan. Keep going and you'll be okay.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Not at all, it's just not going to happen!
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it is something that you have to think about if you're going to be successful in the weight loss. Have a plan and follow it. To deny it as a possibility will lead you down the wrong path. Just done get too obsessive, that isn't helpful, either. I guess it is a balance everyone has to find for themselves.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    I'm totally concerned about it. I lost a bunch of weight, hit a plateau, found out I was netting way below what my bmr should have been via a few online calculators, started netting my bmr and gained 30 lbs back (yes, I was weighing food and using a heart rate monitor). I'm kind of hesitant to get rid of clothes that got big on me after losing those 30 lbs again because it also happened right after donating 7 bags of clothes.
  • xoxolove2
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd go around here. I had lost 30 lbs, got cocky and lazy, and gained it all back. The support i get here is amazing. Good luck to you! Stay with it!!
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not much at all. I have been doing small things over time to get healthier and over last couple years it has been a slow weight loss. Instead of focusing on a weight I try to stick into a weight range of 3 to 4 lbs for fluctuation. I think I have only had to adjust up once if that. I know 25 lbs. over 3 years isn't much to some of the stories on here but since I have taken approach for over all lifestyle health instead of weight, no roller-coaster. Too many stories of goals hit and back to doing things the "old" way that got you into trouble in the first place.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of regaining. I've lost my weight very slowly in stages so I have learned well how to maintain.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just need a break.

So take your break, and trust that you know what to do and will keep on doing it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm far from goal but the thought of this scares me sh_tless! All that hard work and time gone! The sad thing is that to maintain this I'll have to be doing the same thing over and over again for the rest of my life, but then I balance that with the fear.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For me, the fear of failing and gaining has led to me sabotaging myself over and over again because I don't think I have let myself truly believe that I CAN do this long term. Now, I'm trying to be aware that yes, if I consistently make poor choices I will gain the weight back and then some...but that it's not inevitable, that I can choose to continue to lose and keep it off. I'm telling myself failure is possible but not an option, and that I NEED to do this, so when negative thoughts enter my mind, I shove them away instead of dwell on it. That has really been helping me a lot.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It took me over a year to get where I am.... I never want to go back to where I was.... So I keep on exercising and eating healthy as I possibly can... Some days are better than others but eventually I check myself...
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Gaining the weight back is my biggest fear.

But I have managed to keep 100+ off for nearly three years, so I have the knowledge, experience, and support to continue to keep the weight off. I think healthy dose of fear (for me anyway) is a good thing. Keeps me going because I don't want to go back to where I was.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    There's not a snow balls chance in Hell I'm going to gain the weight back. Not an option.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I know I'm very hard on myself. My fear from the beginning has been regain. Right now I'm struggling with motivation, but the fear of regain is still there. Trying to get back on track, but almost seems impossible.

You need to work on the mental aspects of this lifestyle change. You need to build self confidence and self esteem. I firmly believe that motivation comes from within. If you are depressed, negative, upset, or lacking in self love, it will be near impossible to find motivation and/or energy. Have you thought of trying yoga, or meditation, or positive reinforcements or counselling? In the small amount of time we have been friends on mfp, I've notice you seem really hard on yourself and/or are a little depressed at times. Hun you need to get a handle on the emotionally/mental side of things. Just my opinion.

You can do this if you believe you can. The only limitations you have are the ones you either tell yourself or think about yourself. It's time for some change of thoughts.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and then gained 2lbs and I feel a little stuck. I'm always concerned about gaining back, but I know that I'll be able to lose again if/when I'm ready to commit.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Not very. By being methodical yet reasonable, the behavioural and lifestyle changes have grown roots.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I've lost and gained it back numerous times, so in order to avoid doing it again, I'm sticking around here even tho I have been in maintenance for almost 6 months. I know a lot of people here want to quit tracking once they get to goal or at least once they "figure out" maintenance, but I have proved to myself that I can't do it on my own. Not scared, just realistic. Still wearing my BodyMedia Fit Link, too. Not giving it or MFP up any time soon.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not worried at all. I've been on maintenance for almost two years (because it's a habit now and it's easy to do) and it hasn't been a challenge at all. I suppose if, for whatever reason, I start to creep up, I could just use MFP to get right back on track. I've never really been overweight to begin with and have a good relationship with food and a good attitude about my body. I began using MFP because I'm getting older and I started to find myself creeping up into the higher range of my healthy weight. I think as long as you keep a healthy mindset and stay aware, you can nip any problems in the bud as they spring up. :flowerforyou:
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Very. I lost18 pounds 6 years ago and got to my goal weight and have gained and gained since. I know I can fall back into old patterns.
  • LovesDoctorWho
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd go around here. I had lost 30 lbs, got cocky and lazy, and gained it all back. The support i get here is amazing. Good luck to you! Stay with it!!

Me two...I lost a good amount last year and bam its back...