I should be eating 1700 cals but I can't

Options
Hey guys. I'm kinda new to weight loss, so I'm kinda confused. MFP says I should be eating around 1740 cals per day to lose 1lb per week. But the problem is, I average less than 1200/day, because I'm just not that hungry. I'm around 218 pounds, 5'6".

I also go to the gym 5 days a week (usually), and I'm not really any hungrier on those days either. And, even with how much under I'm eating, I'm not losing weight that quickly.

So- why is it hard for me to eat that many calories? Obviously, I never used to have trouble with that, based on my weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter &/or avocados would certainly increase your calorie consumption. They're two of my favorite foods, but I've had to limit my intake of them because they're just too dense in calories for me right now.

You're not losing weight that quickly because your body is starting to get afraid it might not ever get enough food again.

You're not eating enough to fuel your daily activities, let alone your trips to the gym!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's all in the planning. Fill out your food diary early in the day to reach your goals, and stick with it. Add a little bit more here and there as necessary. For instance, an extra half cup of cereal for breakfast and with whole milk instead of skim, a tiny bit more turkey and a slice of cheese on a sandwich for lunch, an extra ounce or two of chicken breast with dinner. Don't bother with "low fat" diet foods... dietary fat isn't what makes you fat, a calorie surplus does. Add just 100 calories to each meal and a couple snacks, and you're at your target.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe calorie counting isn't for you.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I already do eat avocado and almond butter, that's the problem!

Yeah, I agree, I think my mind might be trying to trick me into thinking I'm not hungry because of the amount of calories. In fact, I'm gonna go eat a snack right now ;)

It's weird, because I got used to eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, and WHEREVER I wanted. I've completely cut out soda and bad fast food places like McDonald's and Carl's Jr, and I'll go to places like Chipotle or El Pollo Loco every once in awhile. Those places are still okay, depending on what I get, right? :p

I'm just afraid that if I try to eat more, I'll go and binge eat. I guess it's walking a fine line between undereating and overeating, yeah?
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter &/or avocados would certainly increase your calorie consumption. They're two of my favorite foods, but I've had to limit my intake of them because they're just too dense in calories for me right now.

You're not losing weight that quickly because your body is starting to get afraid it might not ever get enough food again.

You're not eating enough to fuel your daily activities, let alone your trips to the gym!

This. I used to have similar though. Once I started eating more, my appetite increased. Fit in a couple of snacks or 10g pasta more for a meal - small steps. Extra 10g of cheese, peanuts, jacket potatoes with cheese and beans can be high.

Buy a digital scale and weigh your food - you may already be eating more than you think.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Maybe calorie counting isn't for you.

I'm afraid if I don't calorie count, though, I'll overeat and not lose weight. I feel like it gives me accountability for what I put in, because I've never actually cared or tried to care about what I eat.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    try calorie dense foods. things like sunflower seeds, nuts, and get the full fat version of yogurt, milk, cheese etc to help sneak those calories in. maybe if needed, find out if you have a medical problem that is supressing your appetite? some medications also cause loss of appetite, not sure if this applies to you. good luck! also you can try upping your cals a little at a time, no need to eat it all at once and get a stomach ache. but as long as you are not severely starving yourself or feeling faint, tired or whatnot then you may not even need to eat as much as 1700.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

This. I used to have similar though. Once I started eating more, my appetite increased. Fit in a couple of snacks or 10g pasta more for a meal - small steps. Extra 10g of cheese, peanuts, jacket potatoes with cheese and beans can be high.

Buy a digital scale and weigh your food - you may already be eating more than you think.

I don't use a scale for my food, but I do use measuring cups and things like that to measure out my food. Any ideas for a healthy snack? I'm pretty much okay at meals (except I probably don't eat enough breakfast because I have class at 7;45 in the morning), I just don't think I'm supplementing those enough because I try to eat small meals.

Also, does anyone know if KIND bars are an okay snack? I love those :D
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would try eating more. Food, that is.
  • linz910
    linz910 Posts: 30
    Options
    How much have you lost over what amount of time? I'm averaging 2.5-4.5 lbs a week and I tend to eat under my weekly goal by a couple thousand. I think it's a good amount to be losing every week. I'm at the same calorie mark as you basically.
  • Danagirl28
    Options
    try to switch up what you're eating. Whole grains have a decent number of calories... try that instead of the fatty foods (like peanut butter). Also, I see your pic is with baby... if you're nursing, MFP is going to put your calorie intake higher, as it needs to be, so don't be afraid of that. Try to look at the overall values of food you eat, as far as calories, vitamins, iron, calcium, and choose foods that are higher in multiple areas. That way, even if you're not getting enough calories in, chances are you're getting more nutritional value overall. Also, if you're malnourished at all (and trust me, you can be overweight and malnourished), your body will react differently at first. Get on a healthy food plan, give it a month or two, and then see how you're doing. I actually got hungrier after I started eating better, and then my body evened itself out.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Häagen Dazs
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

yes agreed on the food scale, i have one and i love it. it's very easy to over or under estimate amounts of food, and you could easily be eating more than you think you are which may be why you aren't hungry. for me, i was always bad a eye balling the serving size for slicing cheese or for pasta
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    How much have you lost over what amount of time? I'm averaging 2.5-4.5 lbs a week and I tend to eat under my weekly goal by a couple thousand. I think it's a good amount to be losing every week. I'm at the same calorie mark as you basically.

I was around 230 at the beginning of the year, and I've probably lost 10 pounds since the beginning of February. I'm now at about 218. But since the beginning of March, I've probably only lost 2-3 pounds even though I'm eating under everyday. I just don't understand it :p
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Those things you cut out? Put them back in.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This. SOunds like room for a treat to me.

What's your poison?
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    try to switch up what you're eating. Whole grains have a decent number of calories... try that instead of the fatty foods (like peanut butter). Also, I see your pic is with baby... if you're nursing, MFP is going to put your calorie intake higher, as it needs to be, so don't be afraid of that. Try to look at the overall values of food you eat, as far as calories, vitamins, iron, calcium, and choose foods that are higher in multiple areas. That way, even if you're not getting enough calories in, chances are you're getting more nutritional value overall. Also, if you're malnourished at all (and trust me, you can be overweight and malnourished), your body will react differently at first. Get on a healthy food plan, give it a month or two, and then see how you're doing. I actually got hungrier after I started eating better, and then my body evened itself out.

No haha that's my niece :) Cutest baby ever! Yeah, I think I'll try planning out my meals beforehand, and sticking to them even if my brain's trying to tell me not to eat. Hopefully I start getting hungrier. It's so weird going from eating all the time to not being hungry all the time ._.

Also- I've found that if I'm hungry and I wait long enough, the hunger just kind of goes away. Like if I'm in class, so I can't eat, and I'm hungry, after an hour it just disappears.. Why?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There are many stories on MFP about people who had to up the calories they consumed to start losing. How old is the baby?
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

That's the thing- what I cut out was eating at McDonald's and Carl's Jr and crap like that every day. Ugh. Disgusting. I also don't drink soda, but I've been doing that for like 2 years probably.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    There are many stories on MFP about people who had to up the calories they consumed to start losing. How old is the baby?

She just turned 3 months! She's gorgeousss