I should be eating 1700 cals but I can't

Options

Replies

• Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eat more...if it helps...eat 5-6 times a day...every 2-3 hrs...after awhile it will get easier...I also had a hard time eating more...not my problem anymore ;-) AND I workout a "ton"... only cause this girl likes to eat, ha!!

I'm just afraid that if I get into eating a lot again, I won't be able to stop and I'll just gain all the weight back :(

It may be helpful for you to talk with a counselor about your fears about eating. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    All this fear. Screw the fear. Plan ahead. Make the numbers work. It will take a little practice but you will get the hang of it. Don't fear the costco pizza. Don't fear the fat in salad dressing. If you planned ahead, you will see where these things do and do not fit. Don't go to bed tonight until you've planned out tomorrow's menu. Repeat again tomorrow night, etc. Get into a routine.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ditch anything "light" "fat free" "diet" or full of artificial sweeteners. Instead of those crappy 80 calorie yogurts, buy 2% Greek and add fruit, honey or granola. Use real cheese, real salad dressings, full fat dairy. Avocados, nut butters, trail mix. ICE CREAM! I have trouble hitting my 2100, because I usually go over. I love food!
    ^ This.

The only caveat I have is eat GOOD ice cream... make sure the 1st ingredient is CREAM and NOT sugar... (reduced-fat foods have less fat but more sugar to increase flavor - this is BAD.)

At barely 1200 calories you're likely eating UNDER the amount for your BMR ... Which is NOT good... If you're not eating enough to sustain yourself if you were on bedrest 24/7, you're basically keeping your metabolism slowed down to the point you will stall in any weight-loss effort.

Eat real, whole (not processed) foods - especially high-fat foods (if they're NATURAL fats). I've lost over 100lbs eating full-fat everything. What really did the trick for me was eliminating processed/refined carbohydrates. I get ALL my carbohydrate from vegetables and lower-glycemic fruits. (I'm diabetic - grains and starches are my enemy.)

If you're not afraid of healthy fat you'll find you get the calories a lot easier, you'll fire up your metabolism, and weight-loss will be easier for you.

I think that's my problem. Since I'm young, I've basically grown up with the stigma that EVERYTHING you eat HAS to be low-fat, or else you'll turn into a tub of lard. Gross. I'm super proud of you- way to go on losing all that weight :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Eat more...if it helps...eat 5-6 times a day...every 2-3 hrs...after awhile it will get easier...I also had a hard time eating more...not my problem anymore ;-) AND I workout a "ton"... only cause this girl likes to eat, ha!!

I'm just afraid that if I get into eating a lot again, I won't be able to stop and I'll just gain all the weight back :(

That's a good fear to have, and a great reason to calorie count. I used to over-eat tremendously (I used to eat 13,000 to 17,000 calories a day - no exaggeration) so for me calorie-counting was incredibly important.

That being said I only counted calories for about three months ... after three months I *knew* exactly how big a serving of any food I should eat to meet both my daily calorie and macro-nutrient goals. I'd also built up the habit of eating properly - which really begins with SHOPPING properly =)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've gone from starving, binging and now being a 'normal' person.

Eat regularly because when you're too hungry you'll stop for convenience food (well, I do anyway)
    Plan ahead for a day or more in your diary
    Don't keep 'binge' foods in your home - for me they were anything quick and usually sweet. I have a box of chocolates in my fridge and today I've had 3. My friends at work bought them as a gift, so I shared them out, took the rest home and am having a few a day.

"Bad" food isn't bad - if you live on high sugar and high fat food, then its obviously not good.

I do have a tendancy to 'snack' without really thinking about it on a big pack of nuts though... especially salt 'n' vinegar... :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You can still eat the pizza. I have pizza at least once a week, and have every week since I joined here. And I'm not talking one slice, I have half a pie and thick crust. Why? Because I love it and it fits.

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Ditch anything "light" "fat free" "diet" or full of artificial sweeteners. Instead of those crappy 80 calorie yogurts, buy 2% Greek and add fruit, honey or granola. Use real cheese, real salad dressings, full fat dairy. Avocados, nut butters, trail mix. ICE CREAM! I have trouble hitting my 2100, because I usually go over. I love food!
    ^ This.

The only caveat I have is eat GOOD ice cream... make sure the 1st ingredient is CREAM and NOT sugar... (reduced-fat foods have less fat but more sugar to increase flavor - this is BAD.)

At barely 1200 calories you're likely eating UNDER the amount for your BMR ... Which is NOT good... If you're not eating enough to sustain yourself if you were on bedrest 24/7, you're basically keeping your metabolism slowed down to the point you will stall in any weight-loss effort.

Eat real, whole (not processed) foods - especially high-fat foods (if they're NATURAL fats). I've lost over 100lbs eating full-fat everything. What really did the trick for me was eliminating processed/refined carbohydrates. I get ALL my carbohydrate from vegetables and lower-glycemic fruits. (I'm diabetic - grains and starches are my enemy.)

If you're not afraid of healthy fat you'll find you get the calories a lot easier, you'll fire up your metabolism, and weight-loss will be easier for you.

I was going to say something similar. It's possible that because you've been eating so few calories(way below what is needed just to keep you alive) that your body has compensated and slowed your metabolism and is conserving every last ounce of energy because it thinks it's not going to get anything and that's why you're not hungry. Start eating a couple small snacks throughout the day to help get your metabolism going.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    All this fear. Screw the fear. Plan ahead. Make the numbers work. It will take a little practice but you will get the hang of it. Don't fear the costco pizza. Don't fear the fat in salad dressing. If you planned ahead, you will see where these things do and do not fit. Don't go to bed tonight until you've planned out tomorrow's menu. Repeat again tomorrow night, etc. Get into a routine.

No man, you don't get it. A slice of costco pizza has HALF your daily fat. x_x
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I think that's my problem. Since I'm young, I've basically grown up with the stigma that EVERYTHING you eat HAS to be low-fat, or else you'll turn into a tub of lard. Gross. I'm super proud of you- way to go on losing all that weight :)

Research has shown fat is NOT the dietary culprit for things we once thought it was. Much worse for us is refined/processed carbohydrate/sugars (and refined/processed food in general.)

There are certainly fats to avoid ... your best fat sources are ones that occur in nature. Things like avocado, nuts, olives, coconut oil (and other un-refined oils), and yes - animal fat - are actually pretty good for you. The amount each person should eat varies according to their own needs.

For many overweight people, it's NOT dietary fat intake that creates excess bodyfat, it's carbohydrate consumption - especially refined/processed carbs - which are very high on the glycemic-index. Eating high-glycemic foods (especially for overweight individuals) often causes hyperinsulinemia (high insulin levels) and promotes the storage of that ingested carbohydrate as body fat.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost over what amount of time? I'm averaging 2.5-4.5 lbs a week and I tend to eat under my weekly goal by a couple thousand. I think it's a good amount to be losing every week. I'm at the same calorie mark as you basically.

I was around 230 at the beginning of the year, and I've probably lost 10 pounds since the beginning of February. I'm now at about 218. But since the beginning of March, I've probably only lost 2-3 pounds even though I'm eating under everyday. I just don't understand it :p

You probably aren't eating enough, to be honest!

I think when people have such low calorie limits, or put themselves in a "I am counting calories" mind set that they only go for "low calorie" options. I drink, eat pizza, burritos, chips, whatever! I came here and only ate 1,200 and after a few weeks I completely stalled out on weight loss. I slowly started upping it and am now eating 1,800 + a day.

Like what was suggested above, ditch half fat, low fat, lower calorie options. Add a bit more here and there - instead of 1/2 cup of cereal go for a full cup, add in a banana, or an apple. Throw an extra piece of cheese on a sandwich, or meat on there. I found that "letting go" a bit of my food fears has actually helped me eat more, not feel guilty, make better choices and lose weight.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

That's a good fear to have, and a great reason to calorie count. I used to over-eat tremendously (I used to eat 13,000 to 17,000 calories a day - no exaggeration) so for me calorie-counting was incredibly important.

That being said I only counted calories for about three months ... after three months I *knew* exactly how big a serving of any food I should eat to meet both my daily calorie and macro-nutrient goals. I'd also built up the habit of eating properly - which really begins with SHOPPING properly =)

That's great that you've recovered from that. Amazing job :) I gope soon I can say that I got over my fear of calories :p
  • albertabeefy
    Options

You need to stop listening to dietitians and the RDA for their recommended daily fat intake amounts... They're just plain wrong.

The US 'RDA' (Recommended Daily Allowances) ideas comes from the USDA which is a grain-promotion government organization. Their job is to promote grains. Seriously, think about it. They have a vested interest in you NOT eating fat.

Look into LCHF diets (Low-Carb/High-Fat). The first google result for "LCHF" is often Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's excellent site. He isn't selling anything - just providing information. It's worth looking into.

FYI I get 65-70% of my daily calories from FAT. I'd be prepared to put my lipid profile up against any low-fat proponent any day.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of dietary fat. That's Sooo 90's ;-). I go over in fat every day (mostly healthy fats- and some because I love beef and pork-one an only eat so many boneless skinless chicken breasts). But yeah, I eat full fat cheese, nuts, real ice cream, and full fat bleu cheese dressing (measured, of course) and I think I've done okay :-).
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

You need to stop listening to dietitians and the RDA for their recommended daily fat intake amounts... They're just plain wrong.

The US 'RDA' (Recommended Daily Allowances) ideas comes from the USDA which is a grain-promotion government organization. Their job is to promote grains. Seriously, think about it. They have a vested interest in you NOT eating fat.

Look into LCHF diets (Low-Carb/High-Fat). The first google result for "LCHF" is often Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's excellent site. He isn't selling anything - just providing information. It's worth looking into.

FYI I get 65-70% of my daily calories from FAT. I'd be prepared to put my lipid profile up against any low-fat proponent any day.

Man. You're telling me that all my preconceived notions of weight loss are wrong. It's just hard to get past that mindset when you're a young woman living in southern California, the vanity capital of the world.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Maybe calorie counting isn't for you.

I'm afraid if I don't calorie count, though, I'll overeat and not lose weight. I feel like it gives me accountability for what I put in, because I've never actually cared or tried to care about what I eat.

Afraid you'll over eat if you're not calorie counting?
    But you cant reach your goals now :P

But no, you're probably losing less frequently because you're not eating enough.
    Im sure you're trying to watch your macros, but I've lost 15lbs in two months not paying my macros any mind.
    Chocolate, popcorn, chips, pizza, burritos, and bacon burgers all-over in my diary daily!
    Not to say that I neglect my health, I eat a crapton of fruits, some vegetables, and other healthy foods - the stated is just my "snacks" - Im just not ready to completely change my diet yet so drastically ( you should have seen it before, youd understand why i gained weight ). Im striving for a realistic approach, weaning myself into it so that I dont slip back after my "diet" is done.

Peanut butter is 200 calories for 2 tablespoons. Put it on your apple, theres 280 calories right there depending on the apple.
    Almonds are super high calories.

My point is, we all gained weight by eating a lot - it's not hard to find something to eat that will put us where we need to be.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

So?
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Don't be scared of dietary fat. That's Sooo 90's ;-). I go over in fat every day (mostly healthy fats- and some because I love beef and pork-one an only eat so many boneless skinless chicken breasts). But yeah, I eat full fat cheese, nuts, real ice cream, and full fat bleu cheese dressing (measured, of course) and I think I've done okay :-).

I agree! You look astounding :) I don't eat pork, red meat, or food with bones in it, though. It just bothers me, and has bothered me forever. I'll occassionally eat a hamburger though. You know what I really love, though? Fudge bars. I've never feel one for dessert, but I love fudge bars. And Ben&Jerry's. But you can't be a woman a not love B&J's heheh
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My profile quote sums it all up nicely.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I agree 100% and the science backs everything that JacksMom is saying.

I went from being a train-wreck (high total cholesterol, high bad/good cholesterol ratio, high triglycerides, high blood pressure and a fresh diabetes diagnosis) to having the healthiest profile in my doctor's entire stable of patients.

While eating 65-70% of my daily calories from FAT. No joke.

I don't think everyone needs my diet - I need to eat this way to control my diabetes. (If I eat more than 5% of my calories from carbohydrate my glycemic control isn't as good), but what I'm saying is if I have a better profile at 47 than I did when I was an18 year old competitive cyclist (and I do) while eating 65-70% of my calories from healthy fats, NOBODY should be afraid of fat.

Everybody should be afraid of refined/processed carbohydrate/sugar though.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    My profile quote sums it all up nicely.

I just laughed. Really hard. Thanks for the advice ;)