I should be eating 1700 cals but I can't

Options

Replies

• closedmouth13
    Options
    um please tell me how not to be hungry im suppose to eat 1530 cal a day and its hard what ya secret?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not that hard

eZnRNtm.gif
  • linz910
    linz910 Posts: 30
    Options
    How much have you lost over what amount of time? I'm averaging 2.5-4.5 lbs a week and I tend to eat under my weekly goal by a couple thousand. I think it's a good amount to be losing every week. I'm at the same calorie mark as you basically.

I was around 230 at the beginning of the year, and I've probably lost 10 pounds since the beginning of February. I'm now at about 218. But since the beginning of March, I've probably only lost 2-3 pounds even though I'm eating under everyday. I just don't understand it :p

Eat more I would say since you're doing a good job at getting your fitness on. I'm not sure exactly what you eat but if you want, add me as a friend and check out my food diary. I can also send you recipes that have helped me so far!
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options

eZnRNtm.gif

It's hard when you don't want to eat junk, man. TAKE YOUR RIPPED BODY AWAY FROM ME just kidding :)
    Yeah, I just generally don't eat sweets unless I seriously have a craving, and I don't eat chips/fries/things like that. I love vegetables. I go hard on those baby carrots. So hard.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting, or doing cardio? Resistance/Strength training makesm e hungry. Cardio decreases my appetite.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost over what amount of time? I'm averaging 2.5-4.5 lbs a week and I tend to eat under my weekly goal by a couple thousand. I think it's a good amount to be losing every week. I'm at the same calorie mark as you basically.

I was around 230 at the beginning of the year, and I've probably lost 10 pounds since the beginning of February. I'm now at about 218. But since the beginning of March, I've probably only lost 2-3 pounds even though I'm eating under everyday. I just don't understand it :p

It has been three weeks since the beginning of March. If you've lost 2-3 lb, you're doing fine. Weight loss is not linear--you cannot expect it to continue at the same pace as at the beginning.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    If there's a meal-time that you're not eating (say, you're not eating breakfast), then start eating something at that time. If you're only eating three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), add in 200-300 calorie snacks in between those meals. If you're already eating 5-6 meals per day and still only at 1200 calories, start adding in 100 calories per meal, whatever it may be. A little extra food isn't going to over stuff you, especially if you space it out evenly throughout the day.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Are you lifting, or doing cardio? Resistance/Strength training makesm e hungry. Cardio decreases my appetite.

I do both, except on the 2 days I do Zumba. After an hour of Zumba at 9pm, I'm too tired to lift and go home.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options

It has been three weeks since the beginning of March. If you've lost 2-3 lb, you're doing fine. Weight loss is not linear--you cannot expect it to continue at the same pace as at the beginning.

Yeah, I understand that. I just expected to have lost more in almost 3 months since I'm starting at such a high weight. Also, because I was eating so little. And no, I swear I'm not eating that little on purpose to try to lose weight faster. The only times I've noticed I get really hungry and don't eat is right before bed. And why would I eat more if I ate dinner like 2 hours ago and am trying to go to sleep, you know?

Whoops, accidentally put my response in the middle of a quote.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Snacks: almonds, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, protein bars

Pizza is a good treat
    Smoothies with protein powder, fruit and icecream

Peanut butter (I keep a jar and a spoon in my drawer at work when I want a treat)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Ditch anything "light" "fat free" "diet" or full of artificial sweeteners. Instead of those crappy 80 calorie yogurts, buy 2% Greek and add fruit, honey or granola. Use real cheese, real salad dressings, full fat dairy. Avocados, nut butters, trail mix. ICE CREAM! I have trouble hitting my 2100, because I usually go over. I love food!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Snacks: almonds, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, protein bars

Pizza is a good treat
    Smoothies with protein powder, fruit and icecream

Peanut butter (I keep a jar and a spoon in my drawer at work when I want a treat)

I used to eat a slice of costco pizza one a week as a treat, and then I looked at the nutritional info. That stuff is freaking terrible for you.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Buy a digital scale and weigh your food - you may already be eating more than you think.

This.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter &/or avocados would certainly increase your calorie consumption. They're two of my favorite foods, but I've had to limit my intake of them because they're just too dense in calories for me right now.

You're not losing weight that quickly because your body is starting to get afraid it might not ever get enough food again.

You're not eating enough to fuel your daily activities, let alone your trips to the gym!

This. I used to have similar though. Once I started eating more, my appetite increased. Fit in a couple of snacks or 10g pasta more for a meal - small steps. Extra 10g of cheese, peanuts, jacket potatoes with cheese and beans can be high.

Buy a digital scale and weigh your food - you may already be eating more than you think.

I don't use a scale for my food, but I do use measuring cups and things like that to measure out my food. Any ideas for a healthy snack? I'm pretty much okay at meals (except I probably don't eat enough breakfast because I have class at 7;45 in the morning), I just don't think I'm supplementing those enough because I try to eat small meals.

Also, does anyone know if KIND bars are an okay snack? I love those :D

A cup is nowhere near as accurate as a scale. I got one for like £10 here, so I think that's about $7? I wouldn't be without mine - what I thought was 100g oven chips turned out to be more like 250g!

Nuts and protein bars/shakes are good for snacks. I usually have muesli on work days (due to time), a yogurt or protein shake for a snack, 50g (veggie) mince, 50g pasta, onion, mushrooms, sweetcorn, pepper, pasta sauce, cheese and garlic bread slices, then my next snack can be anything from nuts to fruit to crisps depending on what I've managed, or not managed, to prepare to take to work... Dinner can be whatever I want really. Stir-fry, 'chicken' with sweet potato and salad... anything.

My goal's 1880 and on non-workout days I can get to that or more. I tend to be less hungry on my 3 exercise days.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Ditch anything "light" "fat free" "diet" or full of artificial sweeteners. Instead of those crappy 80 calorie yogurts, buy 2% Greek and add fruit, honey or granola. Use real cheese, real salad dressings, full fat dairy. Avocados, nut butters, trail mix. ICE CREAM! I have trouble hitting my 2100, because I usually go over. I love food!

I think that's also my problem. Salad dressing freaks me out. If it's not "light" dressing, it has so much fat in it ._.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Eat more...if it helps...eat 5-6 times a day...every 2-3 hrs...after awhile it will get easier...I also had a hard time eating more...not my problem anymore ;-) AND I workout a "ton"... only cause this girl likes to eat, ha!!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Peanut Butter &/or avocados would certainly increase your calorie consumption. They're two of my favorite foods, but I've had to limit my intake of them because they're just too dense in calories for me right now.

You're not losing weight that quickly because your body is starting to get afraid it might not ever get enough food again.

You're not eating enough to fuel your daily activities, let alone your trips to the gym!

This. I used to have similar though. Once I started eating more, my appetite increased. Fit in a couple of snacks or 10g pasta more for a meal - small steps. Extra 10g of cheese, peanuts, jacket potatoes with cheese and beans can be high.

I don't use a scale for my food, but I do use measuring cups and things like that to measure out my food. Any ideas for a healthy snack? I'm pretty much okay at meals (except I probably don't eat enough breakfast because I have class at 7;45 in the morning), I just don't think I'm supplementing those enough because I try to eat small meals.

Also, does anyone know if KIND bars are an okay snack? I love those :D

A cup is nowhere near as accurate as a scale. I got one for like £10 here, so I think that's about $7? I wouldn't be without mine - what I thought was 100g oven chips turned out to be more like 250g!

Nuts and protein bars/shakes are good for snacks. I usually have muesli on work days (due to time), a yogurt or protein shake for a snack, 50g (veggie) mince, 50g pasta, onion, mushrooms, sweetcorn, pepper, pasta sauce, cheese and garlic bread slices, then my next snack can be anything from nuts to fruit to crisps depending on what I've managed, or not managed, to prepare to take to work... Dinner can be whatever I want really. Stir-fry, 'chicken' with sweet potato and salad... anything.

My goal's 1880 and on non-workout days I can get to that or more. I tend to be less hungry on my 3 exercise days.

Really? I didn't know that measuring cups were less accurate. I'll definitely look into buying a scale. I'll probably check at Target or something and see if I can find a cheap one :D
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Eat more...if it helps...eat 5-6 times a day...every 2-3 hrs...after awhile it will get easier...I also had a hard time eating more...not my problem anymore ;-) AND I workout a "ton"... only cause this girl likes to eat, ha!!

I'm just afraid that if I get into eating a lot again, I won't be able to stop and I'll just gain all the weight back :(
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

The only caveat I have is eat GOOD ice cream... make sure the 1st ingredient is CREAM and NOT sugar... (reduced-fat foods have less fat but more sugar to increase flavor - this is BAD.)

At barely 1200 calories you're likely eating UNDER the amount for your BMR ... Which is NOT good... If you're not eating enough to sustain yourself if you were on bedrest 24/7, you're basically keeping your metabolism slowed down to the point you will stall in any weight-loss effort.

Eat real, whole (not processed) foods - especially high-fat foods (if they're NATURAL fats). I've lost over 100lbs eating full-fat everything. What really did the trick for me was eliminating processed/refined carbohydrates. I get ALL my carbohydrate from vegetables and lower-glycemic fruits. (I'm diabetic - grains and starches are my enemy.)

If you're not afraid of healthy fat you'll find you get the calories a lot easier, you'll fire up your metabolism, and weight-loss will be easier for you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

eZnRNtm.gif

LOL this used to be so my diet along with tubs of frosting. Butter then lots of butter and oil. Bring some of the fats back in they are your friend.