Why am I losing weight?

Options
Oh, hello there.

I just read this quote - "The calories in/calories out argument for weight loss is garbage." in another thread and after I recovered from the anger stroke that it caused me, it left me with a few questions.

You see multiple threads a day where people are asking "Why am I not losing weight?" but not me. I want to know why I am losing weight, because a lot of the "information" I read on this site tells me that not only should I not be losing weight, I should be deadsies. I should have cancer literally seeping out of my pores. My energy levels should be so low that I don't understand how I'm managing to type these words. Please explain it to me.

Some background - I started at 320 pounds in October of 2012 and today I weighed in at 266. That's 54 pounds gone in less than 6 months -but...HOW? Based on this site, I'm doing everything wrong.

I eat between 2000-2500 calories a day, my macros are set at 45carbs/35 fats/20protein. That leaves me eating between 200-300 grams of carbs a day. I don't eat breakfast. I don't track sugar or sodium. I eat at any hour I want, sometimes I'll eat a huge dinner and go to bed minutes later. I don't always eat enough vegetables, but I try. I don't consider fruit a treat and eat as much of it as I want including a banana every day *GASP*. I eat bread every single day. Some days I eat bread, and an english muffin - why isn't my body shutting down??

Don't get me wrong, I try to eat much healthier than I used to, and in my opinion eat a much more balanced diet than ever before. But I also eat snack cakes, pizza, mashed potatoes with gravy, cookies, potato chips, poutine, cake, wine, beer, ice cream..etc. And not once a week or once a month or twice a year....every week. Every day. I don't know where food is on the G.I index, I don't know what food spikes my insulin, I don't know what food "blocks fat loss" - I just eat food. I eat food, say "What a delicious -insert food item-" and carry on with my day.

So I'd really like some answers. I always believed the reason I was having consistent weight loss is because I was consistent with my caloric deficit, but apparently I was wrong about that too. So if calories in/calories out is garbage - why am I losing weight? I'd really like someone who believes that to explain it to me. Did I sign a deal with the Devil and simply forgot about it? Am I magic? If so, I'd like to know - there are some possibilities there.

Please help me.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You're losing cause of calories in-calories out-same as me. That's what I believe too! It's all about the calories!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for coming across and overcoming the BS of the fitness industry. Many people stupidly believe that they have to adhere to strict protocols because some idiot in a magazine told them so.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think you are magic. :flowerforyou:

Not because of the weight loss or anything, but just because YOU LIVE IN MY COMPUTER AND TYPE MESSAGES FOR ME TO READ OMG HOW WEIRD
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! And, I'm TOTALLY sending you a friend request based on that post! LOL! I agree!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm

This is what I was afraid of. I'm a perfect candidate...tapeworms love carbz. I read that somewhere.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    All about calories! Doesn't matter what we eat. I was in the same boat like you before. Ate anything just in smaller portions and lost weight...
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It must be just a Miracle then....... you must be a special snowflake :laugh:
  • Jadetaft
    Jadetaft Posts: 19
    Options
    Haha I love this post! So many people get on there high horses. I'm 5ft 2 I was 9st 2 and now 8st 5 in 6 weeks and I still have pizza, crisps a sandwich here and there I do eat healthily aswell as don't want my tubes to be full of fat... (the skinny people can still have fat wrapped around there insides) but mines just simple do some exercise!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I should be comatose half the time or not losing a damn thing. Yet for some reason...I can't stop losing it & it's actually starting to scare me. For the last 20+ years I could not lose a damn thing, now for the last 14 months I have not been able to stop. When am I going to stop?
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? Also, eating 2000 calories a day is good. There are many people who believe the only way to lose weight is getting under 1200 calories. I am 5'1" and I eat 1500-1900 a day!
  • tyralicious
    Options
    omg. eatmore2weighless.com!!! go there!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Let me know if you get the answer. Day after day I was told that to lose more I had to eat more but I broke the cardinal rule and ate 1200 calories a day! :noway:
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm

If this is the case...I WANT ONE! LOL :laugh:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Let me know if you get the answer. Day after day I was told that to lose more I had to eat more but I broke the cardinal rule and ate 1200 calories a day! :noway:

This isn't the same problem at all. Not even a little bit. Please read again.
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT post!!!!!
  • miked7344
    miked7344 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's because it takes a lot of calories for your body to sustain such a high weight. The more you lose the less in calories you will need to consume. I was 350lbs and started losing on weight watchers for 9 months until I got stuck for 3 months at 270lbs. Then switched over to mfp. I like it better because it goes by calorie deficit and not just a point system. Lets me have a better idea of overall balanced food intake.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    One thing I take issue with is saying things like "Based on this site" when what you should say is based on what I see on the message boards. These people, with rare exception, do not speak for MFP. Whatever spews from their mouths are their own opinions.

The only reason I am pointing this out is that I love MFP and owe the creators and maintainers of it a huge debt of gratitude.

To me, the message boards are a separate and unnecessary part of this place and often piss me off. I am happy for the people that find support and on occasion I have gleaned some valuable info, but for the most part I take the postings with a grain of salt.

MFP itself preaches the gospel of calories in, calories out and has provided me and many, many people with a successful formula for losing weight.

I usually get through only a few threads on the message boards before going someplace else, but I don't let that ruin the MFP experience for me.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    YES! I love this post!

I constantly get people looking down on me because I have a takeaway or meal out almost every week, and heaven forbid, I have at least one treat/bad food every single day. But, you know what? I've lost 30lbs this way and I'm not so miserable I have to berate everybody elses diet to make myself feel better.

Sending you a friend request right now :flowerforyou: