Why am I losing weight?

Options

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Everyone is saying things but no one is answering my question. I hate the internet.

You already know the answer, I thought it was a rhetorical question.. or just a post to complain or try to incite some kind of negative response. But anyways.. you are losing weight because you have a ton to lose and are eating less on your journey downwards than you ate on your journey upwards. :)
    OP is a troll. A well known one. She brings up good points in the OP though.

It really is as simple as in calories in/out.

Well known? I'm so honoured.

I'm really not trolling here though, I only troll in Chit Chat, Fun and Games because I have manners.

I just wanted to know what was going on in the minds of people who don't believe in calories in/calories out. But the thread didn't really go as planned so I'm abandoning ship...please feel free to use this space to post cat gifs or insult each others mothers.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Everyone is saying things but no one is answering my question. I hate the internet.

You already know the answer, I thought it was a rhetorical question.. or just a post to complain or try to incite some kind of negative response. But anyways.. you are losing weight because you have a ton to lose and are eating less on your journey downwards than you ate on your journey upwards. :)

holy cat claws...
  • jkl4peace
    Options
    I am glad that everyone is doing what they are in order to loose weight. Portion is a huge factor. It is not as easy to lose weight (excess fat) when there isn't as much to loose. My weight loss goal is 15-20 pounds. As someone stated before, once you get down closer to a good healthy weight, it does become a chore to maintain. Fitness is not at all the same thing as weightloss. I am a few weeks from 45 and to me it's about being able to make it as long as I can with my own knees and hips. I don't want chronic back pain or trouble sleeping. I don't want to take meds for high blood pressure or high cholesterol. I don't want to have heart caths, diabeties, or other health issues. SO, fitness is my goal, thus "myFITNESSpal". I think that this site is a tremendous tool for those who want to be fit and healthy.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    :drinker: wine and chocolate FTW
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

Whoa sharp claws, retract those suckers quick!!!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Blame it on the weight loss fairy!
  • Django1977
    Options
    I eat between 2000-2500 calories a day, my macros are set at 45carbs/35 fats/20protein. That leaves me eating between 200-300 grams of carbs a day..

Well its no magic.... Try this calorie calculator, type in your age, weight and height and tadaaaaaa .. it says to me (I do the math with 170 cm as I dunno exactly how tall you are) 2357 kcal / day basal metabolic rate. That means you burning this every day because of your height and weight without doing nothing...

Was that a good answer?

Try this -> http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You really should eat better, healthier food. Otherwise you will be sick in 5 - 10 years and getting a stroke, heart attack or something more terrible.

Do you want that?
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thou speaketh truth! The diet/fitness industry is a huge money-maker feeding us mis-information and preying on our weaknesses. However you slice it, it's all about calories in/out. You ARE doing everything right :-) Congrats!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm

OMGosh! I want one!!

No, seriously ~ I think that it is different for everyone. Honestly, I have bigger weight losses after I have done well for a while and then eat some ice cream. Wow! Must shock my system or something!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Well known? I'm so honoured.

I'm really not trolling here though, I only troll in Chit Chat, Fun and Games because I have manners.

I just wanted to know what was going on in the minds of people who don't believe in calories in/calories out. But the thread didn't really go as planned so I'm abandoning ship...please feel free to use this space to post cat gifs or insult each others mothers.
    Yes! My fav!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should eat TDEE and exercise off their 20% deficit in calories. Sorry I am just seeing a good thread descend into silly conflict and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It's because it takes a lot of calories for your body to sustain such a high weight. The more you lose the less in calories you will need to consume. I was 350lbs and started losing on weight watchers for 9 months until I got stuck for 3 months at 270lbs. Then switched over to mfp. I like it better because it goes by calorie deficit and not just a point system. Lets me have a better idea of overall balanced food intake.
    Ummm, I weigh between 136-140 lbs, depending on the day, and I have been maintaining since August. I regularly eat between 2000-2800 calories per day, only working out about 35 minutes a day 3 times per week. You don't have to be a high weight to be able to eat more.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing. If all you want is weight loss, then a calorie is a calorie. End of discussion.

If, on the other hand, you want a sustainable and healthy diet that will maximize your athletic performance, you should eat more vegetables and pay attention to the quality and quantity of the fat and protein you eat.

There is a lot of confusion on the forums (and elsewhere on the internet) on these two issues--weight loss vs. overall health. For the latter, you need to be more careful about your diet. For the former, eat whatever you want. For your mental health, perhaps a donut once in a while is not a bad idea.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I do not know your height so I put 5'5" in scoobie's calculator. If you just have a desk job/sedentary lifestyle with no exercise, then 2000 -2500 calories is the number of calories you need to be eating for weight loss based on your weight. You had to be eating at 2666 just to maintain your weight, so you have definitely been eating under that.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    The answer is easy:
    ... because you're doing EVERYTHING right!
    Just like me ;-)
    Isn't it a great feeling to not miss anything at all, and still be on the right path?? :-D
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    weightloss is very much calories in/out. When people are wanting to build muscle that is when it becomes much more about nutrition. I too have lost 36 lbs since the end of October, yes now I am much more aware of nutrition and fueling my body because I also lift weights and am focused on building muscle, however I still drink alcohol, diet soda, and eat wings and nachos and sticky ribs on a regular basis.

Weight watchers has proven that it's all about caloric intake, however lack of nutrition will eventually have a negative effect on your health. I know people who ate their calories in McDonalds and Dairy Queen blizzards and were very successful in weightloss, however they were always getting sick... and eventually gained it all back.

FYI: I also don't deny myself anything, I work it into my caloric allowances, and yes I only eat around 1400- 1500 calories EVEN on days I work out (unless my body tells me I'm hungry after a workout)
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well. You may want to consider witchcraft or maybe even a curse. Didn't Stephen King write a book about that? Guy was cursed to lose weight?

Another option is demonic possession. Demons are hot--temperature-wise, not attractive, silly!--and thus you would burn more calories. Have you been feeling particularly evil lately? Maybe biting the heads off of neighborhood animals? You mention that you've been eating pizza, ice cream, cookies, but maybe you were ashamed to mention the drinking of sacrificial blood? I'm just saying: It's a possibility.

Hm. Oh, here's another idea! Maybe you are simply disappearing! Like in Back to the Future, only in a different manner. Or maybe you just exist in someone's imagination (or in my computer, for example) and when they don't think about you, you start to disappear.

Do you watch Doctor Who? If you do, you know about the Adipose babies that come from our fat. Maybe their nursery planet was destroyed again.

Really, with the information you've given us, it's impossible to say. It could be anything.

But calories in, calories out? Ridiculous.
  • jkl4peace
    Options
    If you have trouble finding what you are searching for on the internet..... perhaps you should look elsewhere. Sometimes it doesn't give us the answers but at the same time it give us a place to voice all our frustraton. Sometimes, there are no answers. If it is working for you...... just enjoy and be happy. Share your happiness and maybe someone will be encouraged and do the same. There are a bazillion people out there..... one size does not fit all. Bottom line is, you make yourself who you are. Trying to fit a mold is only a sure attempt at failure. If you are happy with what you do and the results are what you want, then be joyful. Make your weight loss a statement not a question. There are no answers.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ahh love it!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Well. You may want to consider witchcraft or maybe even a curse. Didn't Stephen King write a book about that? Guy was cursed to lose weight?

Another option is demonic possession. Demons are hot--temperature-wise, not attractive, silly!--and thus you would burn more calories. Have you been feeling particularly evil lately? Maybe biting the heads off of neighborhood animals? You mention that you've been eating pizza, ice cream, cookies, but maybe you were ashamed to mention the drinking of sacrificial blood? I'm just saying: It's a possibility.

Hm. Oh, here's another idea! Maybe you are simply disappearing! Like in Back to the Future, only in a different manner. Or maybe you just exist in someone's imagination (or in my computer, for example) and when they don't think about you, you start to disappear.

Do you watch Doctor Who? If you do, you know about the Adipose babies that come from our fat. Maybe their nursery planet was destroyed again.

Really, with the information you've given us, it's impossible to say. It could be anything.

But calories in, calories out? Ridiculous.

Finally!! Someone took the time to actually answer my question....and provide peer-reviewed studies (Dr.Who).

Thank you kind sir/madam.