Not understanding why i'm not losing weight.

Options

Replies

• variaironhawk
    Options
    I started losing weight over a year ago and just joined this site in November and to date have lost 12lbs, but lost closer to 80lbs since my highest weight at my doctors office. If there is one thing I can tell you, consistency is the key. Log your food honestly every day. Make sure the calories burned for the exercise is accurate, I used a site that overstated the calories and it undermined my efforts. Keep going and accept that there will be plateaus, if you don't give up, you will bust thru. I got stuck at 220 for 2 months and was frustrated beyond compare after so many months of weight dropping off.

Lastly, you must eat enough food. Seriously, I had trouble believing it too, but when I ate the right amount I lost more than when I ate too little. The important part is spreading it out so that your metabolism keeps working all day. Start early, more small meals and then cut off anything but water in the hours before bed. I cut it off at 3-4 hours before bed.

Good luck and don't ever give up!
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess i've always thought that I should eat less and I would lose weight. I guess I was wrong. lol I'm glad I finally got the courage to ask on here so now I know what I need to change.
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    It is very worth while finding several calorie calculator websites and do multiple and get an average or middle number. My gym elliptical tells me I burned 600 cals, MFP tells me 1100 for the same workout. Runtastic gives me a number in the middle which is about 850. I use the middle number. MFP I've found is either right on with other sites (areobics general for example spits out the same number for me as other sites) OR it is WAY higher than what other sites tell me. You could always get a heart rate monitor as well.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Omg I make one statement and you lash out at m e? Your not a doctor ! Stop trying to act like your king of this joint and put a shirt on !
    I AM the king of this joint. Now, direct some of those limited calories to brain function, and get a clue.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    And that's the exact point. Good foods make you more fuller and active. So you pretty much contradicted yourself.

Holy cow.. I just looked at your diary.

Please, Please get some help.

My wife was anorexic at your age and now as an adult she has suffered through a host of medical issues: gall bladder... gone, thyroid... gone. Joint issues including her spine. Ligament, tendon issues... 2 knee surgeries, 1 neck surgeries... more to come.

Your body can't take that limited amount of food
  • Sibellaxxx1
    Sibellaxxx1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Someone made a similar comment to mine about what she eats.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    15lbs in 2 months - I'd be stoked!
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Omg I make one statement and you lash out at m e? Your not a doctor ! Stop trying to act like your king of this joint and put a shirt on !
    I AM the king of this joint. Now, direct some of those limited calories to brain function, and get a clue.

He is the king, i bow to him, i have a picture of him on my wall and i pray to it every night. Respect this man.
    I am no king.
  • tarawhiting
    Options
    Make sure you eat your expected calories but healthy calories.. cut back on sugar/fat and carbs. Those all cause you to gain weight. Not lose it. Fill up on your calories with nutritional food, veggies and fruits, protein, limited carbs. Stay away from juice, soda, etc all bad for you when it comes to losing weight. Continue your cardio workout and don't skip breakfast. Most important meal of the day starts your metabolism for the day. Workout at least 2 hours after a meal or early in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach if you can handle. Best time to lose the most amt of weight/calories
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Make sure you eat your expected calories but healthy calories.. cut back on sugar/fat and carbs. Those all cause you to gain weight. Not lose it. Fill up on your calories with nutritional food, veggies and fruits, protein, limited carbs. Stay away from juice, soda, etc all bad for you when it comes to losing weight. Continue your cario workout and don't skip breakfast. Most important meal of the day starts your metabolism for the day. Workout at least 2 hours after a meal or early in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach if you can handle. Best time to lose the most amt of weight/calories
    Wat?
  • AndyLL180
    Options
    She is going to think you're the "king of this joint". She may even take a crack at your dogs.

My dogs eat more then she does... in one meal.

In fact I might end up drinking back my calories tonight since I have 400 extra which will be more then she eats in a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    500 ? R u retarted ? It's 600!! Get off my page

I assume that you are calling me retarded as I was the one that mentioned 500 calories. Your diary is open. If you do not want people to see, just make it private (which I see you have done now),

Anyway, the last few days I looked at was less than 500 cals with a day of less than 600. Whether it is 500 or 600 it is a moot point however.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

He is the king, i bow to him, i have a picture of him on my wall and i pray to it every night. Respect this man.
    I am no king.

Maybe, maybe not....but you don't have to put your shirt on!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks. I guess i've always thought that I should eat less and I would lose weight. I guess I was wrong. lol I'm glad I finally got the courage to ask on here so now I know what I need to change.

I would recommend you gradually upping your calories if you have been eating at a low level for a while. Add 100 - 150 one week, then another 100 - 150 until you get to where you need to be. You may have a slight increase in weight - do not worry, it will just be water weight stabilizing.
  • AntWrig
    Options

I would recommend you gradually upping your calories if you have been eating at a low level for a while. Add 100 - 150 one week, then another 100 - 150 until you get to where you need to be. You may have a slight increase in weight - do not worry, it will just be water weight stabilizing.
    This is hardly never mentioned.

Slowly up those cals and EXPECT some weight gain. The body has to reset. The pros out weigh the cons.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    500 ? R u retarted ? It's 600!! Get off my page
    You're an active human being that eats 600 calories a day. Yet, I am the retarded one.

I think she was calling me retarded...you just got told to put your shirt on.
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you i'll start doing that. You've all been really helpful. I appreciate you all taking the time to help me.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I lost 2.4lbs this week, while eating 2000+ 6 out of 7 days. I burn 600+ calories most days, maintaining a net of 1400. The quality of the foods doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Okay thank you i'll start doing that. You've all been really helpful. I appreciate you all taking the time to help me.
    Give it a few weeks/months. Please update everyone. A lot of these threads just die with no resolution.
  • AndyLL180
    Options
    My MFP goal is now to be King... at least the late night king.

OP.. your doing a lot right. Seem to be eating decently... exercising.

Just not eating enough.

Change your goal to 1 lb a week. Try to get better exercise logging.. maybe get a heart rate monitor.

Trust MFP and eat what it says you should..

Plenty of healthy options to eat another 200-400 calories... bacon sandwich, glass of wine. deep fried donut...