Please post your MOST IMPORTANT weight loss tip :)

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house when you have free time. A lot of people eat when they're bored.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    don't bring bad food into your home! then it wont be there for you when you want to give in!
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do not make ANYTHING off limits in your lifestyle change. I would have quit the first month if I didn't have my wine, chocolate, beef jerky, etc. With this being said, also realize

that EVERY MEAL is not special. don't justify eating crap foods all day because you're: on vacation/it's your birthday/someone else's birthday/ out of town/ WHATEVER. If you want wine, chocolate, mcdonalds, whatever, let yourself have those things, just not all in one day.

That is helpful! I tend to think ' I deserve x because (insert excuse here). Starting to realize that this way of thinking is too common for me'
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't lie to yourself, you are only hurting yourself.
    Portion Distortion is why we are here in the first place.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    figure out your TDEE and eat daily calories under that number and above BMR

This. I only just today figured out my TDEE and it's amazing to me that I used to eat above that.

Also: Eat cake once in awhile, or whatever it is you crave. You're not going to be able to stick to a lifelong change if you're depriving yourself of what you love to eat all the time.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No excuses. If you make an unhealthy decision, own it and work to make up for it. No one can (or should) be perfectly healthy all the time, but it is important to he honest with yourself not overlook bad decisions.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Try and reserve as much lean body mass as you can and do resistance work in any form=lean.

This

lean tissue is the key to keeping off fat...
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Be a success everyday. If you have decided to create a 500 calorie deficit stick to that and you are a success. If your goal is to cut 250 and exercise away 250 and you do that you are a success. If you go over your calorie goal by a bit like 100 then exercise that away you are still a success. So focus on being a success everyday and not the number on the scale. If you consistently hit your calorie goals by reducing calories or increasing your calorie demands you are a success and you will lose weight.
  • gracieloo8
    gracieloo8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PLAN
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    log food either in mfp or even a notebook it keeps us aware!
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Find a lower calorie version you like of the same food you eat now. This may help you by allowing you to keep the same foods you like in your life and make the change in your diet feel less like you are forcing yourself to do something.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    have ALL and ONLY the food you need at home; junk/binge triggers OUT
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Get your blood work done and make sure you don't have any issues causing the weight gain in the first place.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink your 8 glasses of Water.
    I also say log everything you put in your mouth on your diary.
    It keeps you accountable.

I have also found to keep my fiber up between 25 and 35 grams and I will lose weight
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Get off the couch...weigh and measure all your food untill you can realistically know what an appropriate portion is. Dance those clories away.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It doesnt for me. You should never eat if you are not hungry.

I totally disagree. At the start of your new lifestyle you may get hungry, but as you get used to it I personally believe it is a bad idea to eat when you get hungry. No, that's when you're too late. You need to eat before you get hungry at steady times. Also it may be hard for some to know when you are feeling hungry or just wanting to eat. So keep it simple and eat your breakfast, lunch and dinner at steady times. Plan it.
  • Sugarmama80
    Options
    Work out at.least 1 hour per day. You will not want to eat too much crappy food after your hard work in exercise.
  • sanvanhaaften
    Options
    Bump!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    weight loss occurs in the kitchen, fitness in the gym

THIS^^^^^
    Best thing I've heard all day!
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Meg Griffin: Brian, you look like you lost weight! What is your secret?
    Brian Griffin: Here's my secret. PUT DOWN THE FORK!