WOMEN WHO POWER LIFT!!

Replies

• jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    How many women power lift? flip tractor tires? Kick box? Anyone?
    I am 5'4" 177 lbs. I still have weight to go!!! But so far this is what I can do at MAX! I am still working at going heavier. How heavy do you lift?
    Dead lift-200 lbs
    Bench press- 95 lbs
    Squat- 250 lbs
    Leg press- 350 lbs.

You're amazing, OP.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Love this thread!!!!
    I have been lifting heavy for about 2 years. I am going to my first powerlifting meet in May...so excited!!!!!!!!!!!
    Heres my stats:
    175 lbs/5'5"
    1 RM:
    Bench: 150 lbs
    Squat:245 lbs
    Deadlift:265 lbs

ETA: I totally agree about getting those deadlift numbers up there. Focus on getting those squats nice and deep! That is a killer squat # btw!!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I am really interested in working in some lifting. I just don't know how to get started and am a little intimidated. Do I need a trainer?

I cannot recommend enough times to enough people to buy the book Starting Strength and read it from cover to cover. A trainer will most likely just get in your way trying to get you to do bosu ball crunches and high bar quarter squats with a neck pad.
  • Huffdogg
    Would power lifting be good for runners? I only do cardio.. I want to add strength

*incoming anecdote*

Due to a lot of discussion on which was more useful for overall fitness between cardio and lifting, I decided to do an experiment a year ago. I hate running, but I like to do the occasional 5k or "obstacle even run" just to keep myself honest and because, with friends, they can be a fun challenge. I went and did a couple 5k runs with my nephew and timed myself. Then I didn't run. Ever. For 9 months. All I did was beginner powerlifting SL-type heavy compound lifting.

Then I ran a 7k.

My splits on the 7k beat my splits for the 5k's I had run 9 months prior by a SOLID margin, and I was in the top 50 out of 700 men in my age group for the run.

The two activities oppose one another, in their purest forms. Running is catabolic. Period. But occasional strength-oriented lifting can only help someone who is primarily a runner and enjoys running a lot. Stronger legs and core will make for longer strides and less overall fatigue. If you become more capable of doing something very difficult, then doing something repetitious fatigues you slower IN GENERAL. Obviously this is a big generalization, and only backed by the most cursory of investigation on my part.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I am really interested in working in some lifting. I just don't know how to get started and am a little intimidated. Do I need a trainer?

I cannot recommend enough times to enough people to buy the book Starting Strength and read it from cover to cover. A trainer will most likely just get in your way trying to get you to do bosu ball crunches and high bar quarter squats with a neck pad.
    Tru dat!!
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    As a trainer, I am offended by what another poster said about trainers getting in the way, actually we can help people to achieve their goals, as knowledge is power in the fitness world. But to the OP, those are excellent numbers, keep up the good work and get those deadlift numbers up there. If grip is a problem, I would recommend investing in a pair of wrist straps, as they may help you get your PR on deadlifts to reach new heights.
  • Losingbooty
    Losingbooty Posts: 63 Member
    Love this thread!!!!
    I have been lifting heavy for about 2 years. I am going to my first powerlifting meet in May...so excited!!!!!!!!!!!
    Heres my stats:
    175 lbs/5'5"
    1 RM:
    Bench: 150 lbs
    Squat:245 lbs
    Deadlift:265 lbs

ETA: I totally agree about getting those deadlift numbers up there. Focus on getting those squats nice and deep! That is a killer squat # btw!!!

My trainer calls my squats "Olympic" he says that I am a natural at it. He gets on me for going to low. So I think they are maybe low enough. Actually he gave me a bench to keep under my butt so when I touch it I know that's low enough.
  • Losingbooty
    OP: do you squat using a barbell or a Smith?. If that is a free weight max for your squat that is fooking heavy - push that deadlift - you can get that higher :tongue:

If I am by myself at the gym I use a smith machine. If I am home and my husband is spotting me. I have a free standing squat rack I use and my husband spots me just in case. Be cause I have only been lifting since june.

Your numbers are amazing! Be careful of squatting in the Smith. I have a few friends that got me into lifting and they said never squat in the Smith. One has chronic knee problems because of it. Does your gym have a squat or power rack you can use instead of the Smith?

I use two gyms. One is at my husbands place of employment. Usually I am by myself there. If I am with my trainer I am at a local YMCA. there are free standing squat racks at both gyms. Plus I have a free standing squat rack in my bedroom! LOL! with a full set of weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    OP: do you squat using a barbell or a Smith?. If that is a free weight max for your squat that is fooking heavy - push that deadlift - you can get that higher :tongue:

If I am by myself at the gym I use a smith machine. If I am home and my husband is spotting me. I have a free standing squat rack I use and my husband spots me just in case. Be cause I have only been lifting since june.

Your numbers are amazing! Be careful of squatting in the Smith. I have a few friends that got me into lifting and they said never squat in the Smith. One has chronic knee problems because of it. Does your gym have a squat or power rack you can use instead of the Smith?

I use two gyms. One is at my husbands place of employment. Usually I am by myself there. If I am with my trainer I am at a local YMCA. there are free standing squat racks at both gyms. Plus I have a free standing squat rack in my bedroom! LOL! with a full set of weights.

<===jelly!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I approve of this thread and everyone in it.

LOL agrees with this....
  • Losingbooty

Is the 250 you squat in the smith machine? I ask as generally we can dead more than we squat but sometimes people are nervous (which is totally understandable) to up their deadlift weight. I would think that your squat strength, if the 250lb was a free weight one, could translate into a nice hike in your dead. Not saying you should, just that you should have the ability to make some very nice progress there.

IT IS BOTH! I SQUAT ON A SMITH MACHINE WHEN I AM AT ONE OF THE GYMS I USE WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS THERE. WHEN I AM AT HOME OR AT THE LOCAL YMCA GYM I USE A FREE STANDING SQUAT RACK. I HAVE A FREE STANDING SQUAT RACK IN MY BEDROOM.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    ....and high bar quarter squats with a neck pad.

Okay I Have To Ask....What Is Wrong With A Neck Pad? If I Dont Use One I Bruise....

Sorry For Caps, Stupid Phone.
  • Sarauk2sf

Is the 250 you squat in the smith machine? I ask as generally we can dead more than we squat but sometimes people are nervous (which is totally understandable) to up their deadlift weight. I would think that your squat strength, if the 250lb was a free weight one, could translate into a nice hike in your dead. Not saying you should, just that you should have the ability to make some very nice progress there.

IT IS BOTH! I SQUAT ON A SMITH MACHINE WHEN I AM AT ONE OF THE GYMS I USE WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS THERE. WHEN I AM AT HOME OR AT THE LOCAL YMCA GYM I USE A FREE STANDING SQUAT RACK. I HAVE A FREE STANDING SQUAT RACK IN MY BEDROOM.

I hope the caps lock does not mean you are shouting at me :wink:

I saw your response a few posts ago and responded that I was jealous of you having a squat rack in your bedroom. I was just trying to encourage you as I think you can make great progress with your deads if the 250 is free standing barbell squats.
  • Sarauk2sf

Okay I Have To Ask....What Is Wrong With A Neck Pad? If I Dont Use One I Bruise....

Its a stability issue. The pad makes the bar less stable on your back.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Deadlift- 167
    Backsquat- 130
    Press- 65- I think

My oly lifts suck though.

Haven't done max lifts in a couple months. Hoping to PR all my lifts when we do :)
  • Huffdogg

Its a stability issue. The pad makes the bar less stable on your back.

^^ This is pretty much exactly it. If you're using the pad, you're probably carrying the bar in a bad position to begin with. If carried properly, the bar will nestle right into a comfortable groove on your back and the pad is just in the way.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member

That is what I am afraid of. I already do enough bosu stuff.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    <
    This gal fell in love with the barbell the first time she gripped it. It has been a very fulfilling, beautiful and beneficial relationship.
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    My goodness. I'm working up to that, slowly!

Since my body ate all of my muscles, my endurance has skyroketed (from about zero) but here's where I am now:

Bench: 55 lbs
    Squats: 20 lbs

Can't remember the other numbers. I can pull down 90 lbs, leg press about 180-190. More lower than upper body strength. I'm 5'9'' and 111 lbs.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    There's some great numbers in here!

My current PR's (2/24/2013):
    Squat - 195
    OHP - 80
    Deadlift - 215
    Bench - 95 (training max)

Doing another total here in a few weeks, pretty excited!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK LADIES! :drinker: