Do you LOVE to do something, but you suck at it?

Options

Replies

• zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    Dancing, and Ive been doing it since I was 5 and absolutely suck at it! unless its tap or Ceroc, I am actually okay with those lol. Otherwise I am hopeless
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Dancing!

I look like the retard that just stubbed her toe on the dance floor...

But half of my cardio workouts are from dancing.

I know you mean nothing by it, but I can't not say anything. Please don't use the r word. It is very derogatory and offensive.
    Wah freaking wah.

No. It's a word that needs to be taken out of our lexicon. As a teacher, I have many special ed teacher friends who could tell you that many mildly impaired kids, who lack many of the tools to deal emotionally with name-calling, are really damaged by language like this. So become an adult and have some compassion.

people always have something to cry about

Yes, excuse me for having sense and compassion. Excuse me for sticking up for a group of amazing people who might not always be able to do so themselves. It is unfortunate that there are people like you out there that see it as no big deal. People out there that don't seem to give a damn about how you or your language might affect others. In the end, by using the word, you are the one that will be left looking like a fool. We all have a soapbox and I choose to stand on mine from time to time.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: from a mom with a special needs kid.

:flowerforyou:

I think the problem is that a lot of people who use the word "retard" simply haven't thought about what they're actually saying. So I applaud everyone who's pointing out why it's wrong to use this word in this way.

Just to clarify in case anyone on this thread still doesn't get it.... It is NOT about the feelings of the person you're saying it to. It's about the fact that retard means mentally retarded, which is a kind of disability that many people are born with which impacts every aspect of their lives (though it's not known by the term "mentally retarded" any more, retard still means that), and using the word retard in an attempt to insult someone else, is far, far more offensive to the people with this kind of disability and their families and everyone who loves them, and anyone who cares about their welfare whether they know someone with this kind of disability or not, than it can ever be to the one you're calling that. Just think about what you're replying about people with mental/cognitive disabilities when you are using that word in that way....

If you want to say someone is stupid, call them stupid. Stupid is not a disability. Stupid is what happens when you do something without thinking things through, and wind up with a result you totally didn't want. Like meaning to insult one person, but ending up insulting millions of people with disabilities in the process.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Things I love to do but suck at:

dancing or any kind of exercise routine involving steps. I can't follow the steps. I can just about do a dabke step (traditional Lebanese/Palestinian dance) without tripping over my own feet. And no, it's not very complex (there are much more complex versions of it, but I suck even at the most basic steps :blushing: it's fun though)

sewing, knitting etc. I can do this and like doing this, but what I end up with is scruffy and not quite the right shape. And the stitches are all uneven. but it's fun and relaxing :)

flint knapping/stone tool making - this is something I've tried to take up as a hobby due to my interest in palaeoanthropology and experimental archaeology (would love to do an MA/MSc and PhD in this) - however there are a bonobo chimpanzee called Kansi who is better at this than me. Though in my defence I'll point out that the chimp has had expert instruction from humans and a lot more practice than me, who has only you tube and online forums for help. It's fun though, but hard to find decent pieces of the right kind of rock to practice on, which is my excuse for not having had a lot more practice at this. going to the beach to look for suitable rocks is fun as well. BTW I do not consider any of these things as valid excuses for being less good than a chimpanzee at something that chimps are technically not supposed to be able to do and that humans are supposed to be experts in

running - I don't run much but when I do I can't manage to run fast, but it is fun. I hate jogging though, I only like running. Jogging is pointless I can walk faster than I can jog and walking is fun and I'm good at it.

there are lots of sports that I'm not that good at that I enjoy playing anyway, like football (i.e. soccer) and cricket. I truly suck at cricket but it is a lot of fun. and baseball so long as I'm allowed to bowl (?pitch?) underarm. I can do a cricket overarm bowl (not that I'm anywhere near a fast bowler lol they'll probably need a new category of slow to describe me) but not a regular overarm throw and definitely not a baseball pitch. And hitting the ball is easier with a cricket bat than a baseball bat.

did I mention dancing and dance steps? I think I did but I suck so much at it that it deserves a second mention. I struggle to follow the most basic steps. Even when I get them right I look like an ice hockey player trying to do figure skating. (did I mention that I can do 3 jumps and cherry flips in full ice hockey kit? well I can, and that's how all my attempts at dancing look)

there are probably other things as well
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    surfing. singing.. skateboarding...snowboarding.... rock climbing..... walking....... talking........ sleeping. :sad:
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    looking confident. love to try but can't seem to pull it off.
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    running, jogging, I think I look ridiculous
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Painting, Watercolors: I love creating. Some talent, no skill at all.

Science: I love the study of it, but math and attention to detail is not my strong suit.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    i like eating but i suck at it.
  • ashmarlow1
    ashmarlow1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Swimming. I am a rock. I sink. I have to be going at about 25km/h to stay above the surface. But i love it!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    IMO referring to yourself as a retard isn't derogotory, but referring to someone who is handicapped as a retard is. And the word didn't even become insulting until the 60s so obviously people made it that way. Personally I think people just need to lighten up. HOw many people on this site have called themselves fat before? Isn't that derogotory to morbidly obese people? Everytime you see someone call themselves fat do you ask them not to because it might insult someone who actually is? JS
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Learning haha...
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    zumba, I dance like a duck with two broken legs and one working wing.
    But I still dance my *kitten* off like no one is watching.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I've almost gotten thrown out of dance clubs because I dance kind of crazy and people think I'm drunk. I guess it's just the area I live in because it promotes depressing beats to drive people to awkwardly sit at the bar instead of going on the dance floor... and if you actually end up dancing they assume you're drunk because no one wants to dance in NoVA.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Dancing (although when I'm alone and there's no mirror, I rock!)
    Coordination (my gym classes are a real challenge)
    Confidence
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i love hunting but kinda suck at it. i lack any sort of patience and my aim sucks (mostly because i am not patient enought to aim properly). so i miss a lot of animals. so i end up with no dead animals to eat and i have been known to be attacked by animals.

maybe i should change the thing i love to : sitting in the woods. - that i am good at, and spend a lot of time doing.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I love to spin yarn. I really, really suck at it.

I also love to run... but I am terrible at it. :P
  • billd935
    billd935 Posts: 11
    Options
    "If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly"

Anything that involves rhythm
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I generally give up on things I'm not good at.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Dancing!

I look like the retard that just stubbed her toe on the dance floor...

But half of my cardio workouts are from dancing.

I know you mean nothing by it, but I can't not say anything. Please don't use the r word. It is very derogatory and offensive.
    Wah freaking wah.

No. It's a word that needs to be taken out of our lexicon. As a teacher, I have many special ed teacher friends who could tell you that many mildly impaired kids, who lack many of the tools to deal emotionally with name-calling, are really damaged by language like this. So become an adult and have some compassion.

people always have something to cry about

**wonders what the masses reactions would have been had this been a debate about the use of the n-word... :huh:
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love to dance but I kinda suck.