Losing Weight At McDonalds

Options

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    BS and you know it.
    Please show me where I'm wrong if it's BS. Neither modern science nor all we currently know about biochemistry shows this wrong - so how, exactly, can you show it wrong.

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not saying that I believe a Quarter-Pounder w/Cheese is as healthy as a grain-fed steak with a side of organic salad and vegetables. That would be ludicrous based on sugar content in the burger alone (bun, ketchup and meat all contain refined sugar, more than most people realize).

What I am saying that as an occasional meal - if one makes an informed decision and chooses the more-healthy of a fast-food restaurants options (for your own best macronutrient profile) - AND if a person also gets their proper intake of other nutrients/minerals/vitamins etc., there simply is no evidence that it's going to cause damage or disease in any way.

Heck, I ate at Wendy's a few weeks back with my kids. I had a baconator with no ketchup, a side salad, and ditched the bun. Last I checked it didn't kill me.
    I agree with this!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Layne Norton is a fool,all the hype has made him who he is today,keep drinking the kool aid

The PhD in nutrition, as well as massive success on the bodybuilding circuit, has really helped out. Along with the "hype."

you should probably listen to him then

I do. If you can find a quote where he recommends doing something other than I'm doing, let me know.

you're one of those "letter of the law" vs "spirit of the law" aren't you?

well it doesn't SAY fast food, so OBVIOUSLY he can't be referring to THOSE processed high fat foods right?

gimmeabreak.

He doesn't mention "processed" food at all.

You keep putting words in his mouth in an attempt to implicate my diet as being something he doesn't approve of.

Fact: none of the Norton quotes you've posted use the term "fast food" or "processed food."

so why did he say most IIFYM eat 95% clean foods?

Because they do, I guess? Or they do in his experience.

He didn't say "you have to eat 95% clean foods."
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Layne Norton is a fool,all the hype has made him who he is today,keep drinking the kool aid

The PhD in nutrition, as well as massive success on the bodybuilding circuit, has really helped out. Along with the "hype."

I do. If you can find a quote where he recommends doing something other than I'm doing, let me know.

well it doesn't SAY fast food, so OBVIOUSLY he can't be referring to THOSE processed high fat foods right?

gimmeabreak.

You keep putting words in his mouth in an attempt to implicate my diet as being something he doesn't approve of.

Fact: none of the Norton quotes you've posted use the term "fast food" or "processed food."

guess you're the special snowflake after all.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    2 Side Salads (20 calories each)
    1 Packet Vinagarette (35 calories)
    2 Snack Wraps w/o Cheese (420 calories)

5 Dollars, 495 Calories, 30 Protein, 13 Fat, 65 Carb

Don't even try to hate on that.

Kinda $$ for what ya get. I'm not lovin' it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    BS and you know it.
    Please show me where I'm wrong if it's BS. Neither modern science nor all we currently know about biochemistry shows this wrong - so how, exactly, can you show it wrong.

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not saying that I believe a Quarter-Pounder w/Cheese is as healthy as a grain-fed steak with a side of organic salad and vegetables. That would be ludicrous based on sugar content in the burger alone (bun, ketchup and meat all contain refined sugar, more than most people realize).

What I am saying that as an occasional meal - if one makes an informed decision and chooses the more-healthy of a fast-food restaurants options (for your own best macronutrient profile) - AND if a person also gets their proper intake of other nutrients/minerals/vitamins etc., there simply is no evidence that it's going to cause damage or disease in any way.

Heck, I ate at Wendy's a few weeks back with my kids. I had a baconator with no ketchup, a side salad, and ditched the bun. Last I checked it didn't kill me.

we absolutely agree on this.

please look at jonnynathan's diary to see what you're defending. we're not talking about once every few weeks.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna do McDonald's, do it right.

Quarter pounder with a side of chicken nuggets and a chocolate milkshake.

Holler.

LOL, that was my exact response when I read his post.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Some interesting reads (and by read I mean the entire thread, not just the op if you really want grasp it and be entertaining in the process :bigsmile: )

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113288021&highlight=wavelength

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113693871

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113744261&highlight=wavelength

It works have put it to the test for 3 months now. I made excellent progress I lost a bunch of fat, I set PR's PB's every week. I haven't lost any muscle and I'm still building mass.

Don't overcomplicate fat loss, it really is easy.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Why not get a real burger from a local joint made with real fresh beef?

I second this. Does MFP have kangaroo meat in their database? :laugh:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Why not get a real burger from a local joint made with real fresh beef?

I second this. Does MFP have kangaroo meat in their database? :laugh:

Yes..the do.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/macro-meats-kangaroo-burgers-63333056
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There may be healthier options at home, but you are right - you can still eat out, make healthy choices and lose weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options

gimmeabreak.

guess you're the special snowflake after all.

Not sure what this means. I follow IIFYM. I follow Norton's recommendations. I hit my calorie, protein, fat, and carb goals. I lift heavy. And I lose body fat as a result of these things.

There's no rocket science here. There are no special snowflakes. If you set macro goals appropriate to your progress goals, and meet them consistently, you will achieve your goals.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Kudos to the OP for finding a way to make lemonade with the quick and inexpensive "lemon" options available. While there is no disputing that home food, well prepared, from known and fresh unprocessed ingredients will always be the best choice, not everyone can (or would want to) eat that way at every meal. Informing yourself about the readily available restaurant options you can choose when "out and about" is a great idea and it seems clear that the OP has researched and thought this through well. More power to him.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsRamsey75
    Options
    Exactly... reason i dont eat out
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Oh good... another post where a bunch of body builders/ huge men/ women who don't have much to lose try to convince us all that McDonalds/eating poorly is okay and laugh at the attempt to eat healthy/clean.
    Actually, the people commenting that it's OK aren't actually "eating poorly" - they're making very wise choices at the fast-food places.

Fast food doesn't have to be synonymous with eating poorly. Most people just don't actually make informed decisions when they eat it.

True. Though I would have to argue that a McDonalds salad/wrap can't hold a candle- nutrition wise or taste wise to the things that I can make at home.
    What annoys me is when commenters "show off" (not sure if thats a good term) at how much/bad they eat like everyone should eat the same. "Pffft.... your eating just a cheeseburger? Well, I eat a triple Whopper with extra cheese supersized!" Really? This is your everyday meal? (no.. obviously not. ) When I ate like this all the time, I gained 70lbs...I understand eating like this on a rare occasion- but for me it wouldn't be realistic.

It would really depend on their calorie goal for the day if they eat that way everyday. If someone is working out almost daily and burning about 1200-1300 calories and they are working on bulking or even maintenance and can maintain on about 2500-3000 a day, then yeah, they can score a double Whopper with cheese everyday if they want. It's all about goals and exercise and calorie count. To assume that they don't eat that way everyday or they will get fat is a huge assumption based off your own goals and not taking into account the goals of others.

If I eat a double Whooper with cheese all the time along with everything else I would eat back in the day, then yes, I would gain because it was sitting to watch tv, sitting in the car to work, sitting at work, sitting to go home, laying in bed, wash, rinse, repeat. However, now I'm more active, so I can eat more...and even more when I start to maintain.

I have lost 62 lbs at this point keeping within my calorie/macro goals about 85% of the time. I still have, and always will have, pizza, McDonalds, buffets, Chinese, donuts, cookies, cupcakes, Pop Tarts, and a host of other "bad for you" foods. I'm healthier, more active and feel better than ever...and still losing.

Your first and second paragraphs are making my point. Of all the women that I have on my friends list, very rarely, do any of them ever burn 1200 calories in a work out. Most people aren't trying to bulk up- its not really the norm. What I am trying to say is kinda what you said :
    "To assume that they don't eat that way everyday or they will get fat is a huge assumption based off your own goals and not taking into account the goals of others."
    Okay....likewise, to assume that I will get thin by eating that way everyday is a HUGE assumption based off of their own goals and not taking into account the goals of others.

Good job on the weightloss. I lost my weight/am losing by staying away from those "bad for you foods" and only indulging in those things on occasion.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Oh good... another post where a bunch of body builders/ huge men/ women who don't have much to lose try to convince us all that McDonalds/eating poorly is okay and laugh at the attempt to eat healthy/clean.
    Actually, the people commenting that it's OK aren't actually "eating poorly" - they're making very wise choices at the fast-food places.

Fast food doesn't have to be synonymous with eating poorly. Most people just don't actually make informed decisions when they eat it.

True. Though I would have to argue that a McDonalds salad/wrap can't hold a candle- nutrition wise or taste wise to the things that I can make at home.
    What annoys me is when commenters "show off" (not sure if thats a good term) at how much/bad they eat like everyone should eat the same. "Pffft.... your eating just a cheeseburger? Well, I eat a triple Whopper with extra cheese supersized!" Really? This is your everyday meal? (no.. obviously not. ) When I ate like this all the time, I gained 70lbs...I understand eating like this on a rare occasion- but for me it wouldn't be realistic.

It would really depend on their calorie goal for the day if they eat that way everyday. If someone is working out almost daily and burning about 1200-1300 calories and they are working on bulking or even maintenance and can maintain on about 2500-3000 a day, then yeah, they can score a double Whopper with cheese everyday if they want. It's all about goals and exercise and calorie count. To assume that they don't eat that way everyday or they will get fat is a huge assumption based off your own goals and not taking into account the goals of others.

If I eat a double Whooper with cheese all the time along with everything else I would eat back in the day, then yes, I would gain because it was sitting to watch tv, sitting in the car to work, sitting at work, sitting to go home, laying in bed, wash, rinse, repeat. However, now I'm more active, so I can eat more...and even more when I start to maintain.

I have lost 62 lbs at this point keeping within my calorie/macro goals about 85% of the time. I still have, and always will have, pizza, McDonalds, buffets, Chinese, donuts, cookies, cupcakes, Pop Tarts, and a host of other "bad for you" foods. I'm healthier, more active and feel better than ever...and still losing.

Your first and second paragraphs are making my point. Of all the women that I have on my friends list, very rarely, do any of them ever burn 1200 calories in a work out. Most people aren't trying to bulk up- its not really the norm. What I am trying to say is kinda what you said :
    "To assume that they don't eat that way everyday or they will get fat is a huge assumption based off your own goals and not taking into account the goals of others."
    Okay....likewise, to assume that I will get thin by eating that way everyday is a HUGE assumption based off of their own goals and not taking into account the goals of others.

Good job on the weightloss. I lost my weight/am losing by staying away from those "bad for you foods" and only indulging in those things on occasion.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are lower-calorie options at fast food places than double quarter pounders with cheese and bacon. You can easily go to McD's, Subway, Taco Bell, etc, and get a filling low-calorie high-protein meal.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    please look at jonnynathan's diary to see what you're defending. we're not talking about once every few weeks.
    Yes, he does eat more processed food than I would. Yes, his sodium intake is higher than mine. Yes, he's eating processed and fast-food every day, albeit (and you must admit this) not the worst choices in processed or fast food. His diary would actually indicate he's getting recommended amounts of macronutrients, vitamins, minerals but seems a little light on antioxidants. Johnny - eat a little more berries, mmm, k?

... and there are literally hundreds of millions of people on this earth that do the same thing every day with no health issues. It's annoying (heck, I can't eat 1/2 a donut or a wrap or burger bun without my blood glucose skyrocketing to the moon) but true.

I'm not so much defending it as I am stating that there really is no science that contradicts his way of eating as unhealthy.

I don't know this man, and cannot judge his lifestyle (although I must admit I do enjoy his sense of humour). It may be that he doesn't have the time (or even facilities) to prepare meals in advance like I do, or like I'm guessing you do. It may well be this is currently the BEST way he can eat and still make time to exercise, rest and do his work/school/whatever he does. I don't know and refuse to judge.

What I can say is he appears fit - his profile picture shows him at a healthy bodyfat % and it's taken in a gym to boot - meaning that regardless of how little time he may take preparing whole foods - he at least makes the time to exercise.

We KNOW the incredible protective effects exercise has on our bodies and you can't deny that someone that eats a healthy caloric intake (even though their intake of processed food and sugar seems 'high' to a "clean" eater) with proper nutrients, AND regularly exercises is healthier than 95% of the population in the USA. OK, 95% is an estimated and possibly exaggerated statistic with no way to verify... but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes, he does eat more processed food than I would. Yes, his sodium intake is higher than mine. Yes, he's eating processed and fast-food every day, albeit (and you must admit this) not the worst choices in processed or fast food. His diary would actually indicate he's getting recommended amounts of macronutrients, vitamins, minerals but seems a little light on antioxidants. Johnny - eat a little more berries, mmm, k?

... and there are literally hundreds of millions of people on this earth that do the same thing every day with no health issues. It's annoying (heck, I can't eat 1/2 a donut with my blood glucose skyrocketing to the moon) but true.

I'm not so much defending it as I am stating that there really is no science that contradicts his way of eating as unhealthy.

I don't know this man, and cannot judge his lifestyle (although I must admit I do enjoy his sense of humour). It may be that he doesn't have the time (or even facilities) to prepare meals in advance like I do, or like I'm guessing you do. It may well be this is currently the BEST way he can eat and still make time to exercise, rest and do his work/school/whatever he does. I don't know and refuse to judge.

What I can say is he appears fit - his profile picture shows him at a healthy bodyfat % and it's taken in a gym to boot - meaning that regardless of how little time he may take preparing whole foods - he at least makes the time to exercise.

We KNOW the incredible protective effects exercise has on our bodies and you can't deny that someone that eats a healthy caloric intake (even though their intake of processed food and sugar seems 'high' to a "clean" eater) with proper nutrients, AND regularly exercises is healthier than 95% of the population in the USA. OK, 95% is an estimated and possibly exaggerated statistic with no way to verify... but it wouldn't surprise me.

Antioxidants are everywhere these days, and there's little to no real evidence they do much of anything for us.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2013/03/09/do-you-really-need-antioxidants?page=2

And BTW in case you're wondering, I lift (5x3x1 big but boring plus a couple of accessories) and play a lot of tennis and racquetball.
  • nofear01
    nofear01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Doesn't going to McDonalds and ordering a side salad defeat the object of going in the first place?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Doesn't going to McDonalds and ordering a side salad defeat the object of going in the first place?

I go to McDonald's to have someone hand me food I can eat right away.

I guess if the object of going to McDonald's is to consume as many calories as possible, then a side salad does defeat that purpose. But I just go there to eat :laugh: