Need some quinoa ideas, please!

Options
elis_mama
elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
I just bought quinoa today at the store, after hearing a lot about it. I need some ideas for it. Here are a few items I have in the fridge. Raw sweet potato chunks, mushrooms, peppers, eggs, and some other veggies. I have a lot of different meats, too. Can anyone help me out with a direction to go in? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I go super simple with my quinoa. I toast mine before I add liquid and use chicken stock instead of plain water. If my dh wasn't allergic to mushrooms, i'd very likely add some of those in, too.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I like to make "fried quinoa" similar to fried rice. Basically I just make a couple portions of quinoa according to package directions. Cook meat in a large skillet if you want it in there, add whatever veg you'd like and the cooked quinoa. Scramble 1-2 eggs in a dish and pour over the quinoa. Add some soy sauce. I cook mine until its pretty crispy, but as long as the egg is done you can remove it whenever you'd like.
  • greenwel
    greenwel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat quinoa nearly everyday, and you have everything for great quinoa cakes. Mix it all together, add some eggs and form into cakes.If it doesn't hold together,never mind. Sautee in a non stick pan. I add dill and cayenne pepper, and kale if i have it. Sometimes i heat it up and coverwth yummy carrot/ginger soup. Enjoy
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have only eaten it twice so far. Once for dinner by adding just butter salt and pepper after cooking it in water along.....and had some veggie beside it. Then the leftover I had for breakfast the next morning by adding some almond milk and heating it, added some Palm sugar and small amount of pecans, which as the breakfast I liked very much.
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've yet to try the stuff, but I was looking at various packages in the grocery store yesterday. Closer to buying it...
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to make "fried quinoa" similar to fried rice. Basically I just make a couple portions of quinoa according to package directions. Cook meat in a large skillet if you want it in there, add whatever veg you'd like and the cooked quinoa. Scramble 1-2 eggs in a dish and pour over the quinoa. Add some soy sauce. I cook mine until its pretty crispy, but as long as the egg is done you can remove it whenever you'd like.

Ditto! It's super yummy. I like to squirt sriracha on top, too. I find that when making just a couple servings it's easiest to make the quinoa in the microwave before frying it. It's good with mushrooms, carrots, bell pepper, snap peas, regular peas, green onions, etc. etc.

Don't forget to rinse it thoroughly!
  • redpat74
    redpat74 Posts: 33
    Options
    Chop sweet potato, sprinkle with olive oil, then roast in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Saute onions and peppers. Prepare Quinoa following package directions. Mix vegetables together, add in 1/4 cup chicken stock.

I mix cranberries, chopped walnuts (roasted), celery for a great salad.
  • cdh5068
    cdh5068 Posts: 26
    Options
    I like to eat it for breakfast and use is kind of like oatmeal, with cinnamon, fruit, and nuts mixed in.
  • lap012165
    lap012165 Posts: 24
    Options
    I too eat this everyday!!! The first thing is you have to wash it, so you need a mesh strainer. If you don't it will be bitter. Here's one of my favorite dishes. You can use yellow mustard seeds if you can't find black ones.. I get alot of my spices from an Indian store where I live. Also instead of water you can use chicken, beef or vegetable broth and just eat it plain. Great stuff!
    Hope you enjoy.......

Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf

For quinoa

1 cup quinoa
    1-1/2 cup of water
    1 tablespoon oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Pinch of turmeric

For vegetables

1/2 cup peas
    1/2 cup corn
    1/2 cup carrot cut in small pieces
    1 tablespoon thinly sliced ginger
    1 green chili minced
    1 tablespoon oil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
    1 bay leave
    1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
    1 1ablespoon lemon or lime juice
    3/4 cup tomato chopped for garnishing

Method

Wash quinoa gently changing water several times.
    In a sauce pan combine quinoa, water, oil, salt and turmeric. Bring to a boil,
    cover and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer until quinoa is tender and water is
    absorbed. This should take about 15 minutes.
    While quinoa is cooking heat the oil in other saucepan over medium heat, Test
    the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
    Add the cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, and bay leave, as seeds crack add all
    the vegetables, carrot, corn, green peas, ginger, green pepper, and salt.
    Let the vegetable cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender but firm.
    Turn off the heat. Add quinoa to the mix of vegetable and gently fold it.
    Finish off by adding lemon juice and tomatoes.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i actually bought a cookbook. today i made quinoa granola.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you need to buy Quinoa 365 Cookbook. It has a phenomenal collection of recipes incorporating this super seed.

Soooooo many great recipes. I was thinking about going Paleo before but I just believe there is too much good stuff that foods like Quinoa can offer us and it is most of all cheap! :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make a tabouli-like salad with it-- with LOTS of tomatoes and parsely, and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Nummy!

And if you can use noodles or rice in something, you can probably use quinoia!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Here are a bunch of snack ideas.

Onion Quinoa Bites
    4 servings 274 calories

2 cups cooked quinoa
    1 large onion, chopped
    ¼ cup cheddar cheese or Daiya (optional)
    ¼ cup chopped chives
    ¾ cup flour
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Canola oil, for cooking

1. In a medium bowl combine quinoa, cheese, onion and chives. Add flour, cayenne pepper and sea salt. Toss until coated.
    2. Beat eggs and lemon juice together. Combine with quinoa mixture and mix well.
    3. Form into small balls and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
    4. Heat a large skillet to medium heat and coat well with oil. (Make sure you allow your skillet to get warm before adding quinoa) Cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until brown.

To make the dipping sauce combine 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or vegan sour cream with 2 teaspoons minced garlic (more or less to taste), 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional). Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Quinoa Pizza Bites
    Makes 40 bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 large eggs
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
    1 cup chopped pepperoni slices (1/2 of a 7 oz bag)
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dried crushed oregano
    Pizza sauce for dipping

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
    4. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
    Nutritional Information for 5 bites Calories - 175, Fat - 10g, Protein - 9g, Fiber - 2g, Calcium - 10mg, Carbs - 12g

Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites
    Makes 24 bites

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
    1/4 cup buffalo sauce (we used Frank's)
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Ranch or Blue cheese dressing for dipping, if desired

2. Mix together all ingredients.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
    4. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
    Nutritional Information for 4 bites Calories - 109, Fiber - 1, Fat - 4, Protein - 8, Calcium - 6, Carbs - 11

Cheesy Quinoa Bites
    Makes 28 bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 large eggs
    1 cup shredded carrot
    2 stalks green onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 Tbs all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

2. Mix together quinoa, carrot, egg, green onion, garlic, cilantro, cheese, flour, salt and pepper.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each).
    Calories 130 for 4 bites.

Spinach Parmesan Quinoa Bites
    Makes 30 bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 large eggs
    2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
    1 cup diced onion
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
    Dash of sea salt

2. Mix all ingredients together.

Ham & Cheese Quinoa Bites
    Makes 3 dozen bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 eggs
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 cup finely diced ham
    1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    3 Tbs fresh chives, chopped
    1/2 cup panko
    1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper

2. Mix together all ingredients.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each) and press down gently to compact.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Quinoa Bites
    Makes 36 bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 large eggs
    2 stalks green onion, diced
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp dried parsley
    3/4 cup finely diced ham
    3/4 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/4 tsp ground pepper

2. Mix all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
    Nutritional Information for 4 bites Calories - 131, Fiber - 1g, Fat - 6g, Protein - 10g, Calcium - 11g, Carbs - 9
  • lcs1220
    lcs1220 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually make quinoa with broth instead of water. Then season with cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in any type of beans (I usually use black or pinto). Top with cilantro, green onion, jalapeno, avocado, and salsa.

Another thing I do with leftover plain quinoa, is I saute fresh ginger and garlic, then add the cooked quinoa to the pan, and drizzle in a little toasted sesame oil. Toss everything to coat. Very simple, but a great little snack. I even do this for breakfast sometimes.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! So many awesome options! Keep them coming, please and thank you!
  • zeleni
    zeleni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so that I can take advantage of the awesome ideas and recipes suggested! Thanks!
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    @ deedster_a . Thanks
    And bump
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is very simple but I add it to my oatmeal recipe that I make in the rice cooker.
    1 -1/2 cps steel cut oats
    1/2 cp. quinoa
    2 1/2 cps water
    Turn on rice cooker. When it is done, add another 2 1/2 cups of water and stir. Let stand for a little while to soak up water.
    Refrigerate. Can be warmed in the microwave.

Add sunflower seeds, almonds, blueberries, almond milk and coconut sugar.
  • getsaketh
    getsaketh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is my Vegetarian Quinoa Recipe..

Vegetarian quinoa salad - serves 2.
    1. Boiled quinoa - 3/4 th cup
    2. Diced and boiled potato and carrots-1cup
    3. Diced raw mango - 1/2 cup
    4. Diced spring onions - 1/2 cup
    5. Diced tomato - 3/4th cup
    6. Diced green chilli - 3
    7. Diced corriander - 1/4 th cup
    8. Lemon chilli salad dressing (1 full lemon squeezed, 2 teaspoon chilli powder, 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt to taste - shaken well)

Pictures here..
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/ba844c21-5c68-4534-b116-401de4b6a827/472eb9f73424daa3a68cf7975505e1e4
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    Besides substituting it for rice, I also make a quinoa salad where I chop kale into tiny pieces, add oil based sun dried tomatoes with a bit of olive oil, raw garlic, and apple cider vinegar (let sit at least a few hours so the vinegar can break the kale down for easier digestion).