• denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa to thicken soups & stews

as a quinoa 'risotto' primavera is my absolute favourite way to eat it though :o) Add a little extra stock/broth, some sauteed garlic and a good dollop of pesto & parmesan, some peas/ spinach/asparagus/broad beans & black pepper. YUM.

Or make any kind of risotto style- mixed mushrooms, or butternut & sage, or smoked bacon & sweetcorn. Add a dollop of low fat cream cheese for extra creaminess.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Quiche! As it bakes the quinoa falls to the bottom and makes a crust. I use this recipe at Fit Sugar but add whatever veggies, meat, cheese I have hanging in the fridge.

Here is the link: http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Quinoa-Egg-Bake-Recipe-26947762
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great recipes, everyone!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    lunch today was smoked paprika quinoa stuffed portabella mushroom..it was delicious and wicked filling!!
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump...I started another thred not looking for this one first. ooops
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Here's one I have tried twice recently. I'd go with your eggs and peppers and mushrooms :smile:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Quinoa-Egg-Bake-Recipe-26947762
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I make mine w/chicken broth (low sodium or organic) and mix it in w/sauteed eggplant, ground turkey, and marinara sauce....you never know it's there! keep it on hand and mix it in with everything, you can't go wrong!
  • Maebnormal
    Options
    I had it in a salad and it was amazing. I want to try other recipes though.:smile:
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas...
    I made a Quinoa Pudding last night (kind of like rice pudding) which turned out well. Recipe was found at http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

2 cups quinoa, cooked (basic recipe) ½ cups raisins
    3 cups milk ½ cup shredded coconut
    1/3-cup honey or ½ cup brown sugar 1 tsp vanilla
    ½ cup almonds or walnuts, ground 3 eggs, beaten
    ½ tsp cinnamon 1/8 tsp salt
    ½ tsp lemon or orange rind, grated 1 Tbs butter 1 tsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients. Pour into greased baking dish or greased individual custard cups. Bake in 350-degree oven until set, about 45 minutes. Serve hot or cold, topped with yogurt, cream or apple juice. Serves 4-6.

This recipe was borrowed from an old favorite that originally called for rice. Quinoa substitutes nicely to almost any recipe designed for rice.

I didn't follow it exactly as I didn't have coconut, lemon/orange, but it still was great!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My husband's from Ecuador, where the indigenous have been eating quinoa for a very long time! His grandma makes the most amazing soup, here's a basic summary:

Wash the quinoa a couple of times if you didn't buy pre-washed (it naturally has a soapy coating on the outside that needs to be gotten rid of)

Make a "refrito" : Basically cook down some onions in red oil (it has achiote/annato, or make your own with the mexican powdered version of this) as well as some red pepper and garlic and a bit of salt. add some beef for flavor (like soup-bone type pieces) and potato chunks for texture. Add your quinoa and water and let it simmer forever! You'll know when you're getting close because it looks like porridge and the quinoa "pearls" are pretty dissolved and you mostly just see the little filament part of the grain. It tastes amazing due to slow-cooking and is about as authentic as you get.

Also, substitute cooked quinoa for the bulghur in any tabbuleh recipie!
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Quinoa made with a little chicken broth and sprinkle some Tony's Cajun seasoning. Easy and yummy.
  • life99joy
    life99joy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    While i love quinoa, i find bulgur to be more nutritious. Bulgur has less calories and more fiber and you can make exactly the same recipes with it.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa. It makes a fabulous salad. Add what ever vegetables you feel like, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, etc., etc. I add 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa (always in the fridge)' add a dressing like Kraft Zesty Italian and sprinkle a little hot ginger sauce mix it up.

I find it is very satisfying.

Jeri
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like to make "fried quinoa" similar to fried rice. Basically I just make a couple portions of quinoa according to package directions. Cook meat in a large skillet if you want it in there, add whatever veg you'd like and the cooked quinoa. Scramble 1-2 eggs in a dish and pour over the quinoa. Add some soy sauce. I cook mine until its pretty crispy, but as long as the egg is done you can remove it whenever you'd like.
    Thanks so much for that idea! I love egg fried rice and egg fried noodles and struggle to know what to really do with quinoa. Just tried this out, I put some soy sauce in the water when I made up the quinoa then threw it in the wok with a couple of beaten eggs and some vegetables and it was amazing :) It was quite filling as well, I'll definitely be making that again.
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    I toast it, use stock (chicken, veg) instead of water, mushrooms and onions (sauteed). That's my favorite version so far. I've tried it with cranberries, cinnamon and toasted almonds too (chicken stock) . Didn't like that version much.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    some really good ideas to try.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Bump! All sound so good!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day and was able to take it for lunch all week :)

quinoa-salad-ck-1173792-x.jpg

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/colorful-quick-quinoa-grecian-salad-10000001173792/